What's new

Interviews conducted for RAINTREE COUNTY DVD (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm not sure if this is being done for an eventual release by Warner Bros., but it sure looks promising. Please scroll down to the bolded text for more info on the DVD:

Commemoration planned for movie filmed in Boyle
By JENNIFER BRUMMETT
Staff Writer

Plans are being made to commemorate in 2007 the 50th anniversary of the release of the film "Raintree County."

The movie was filmed, in part, in Danville in July 1956, said Holly Henson, artistic director for the Pioneer Playhouse and a member of the Raintree County commemoration committee. The film, which starred Elizabeth Taylor, Eva Marie Saint and Montgomery Clift, was released the following year.

Other filming locations were McCracken County, Paducah, Natchez, Miss., and Reelfoot Lake, Tenn.

The organization of a festival surrounding the commemoration is in its early stages, but a few components already are in the works.

Henson said Catherine Bush, who wrote Danville-produced musicals such as "I'll Never Be Hungry Again" and "Hester Buys a Vowel," has been asked to write a play for the 2007 Pioneer Playhouse season. "Raintree County" will be the play's theme, and the play likely will be a comedy. Early discussions indicated the play would be produced as the last offering of that season. Henson said Bush probably will incorporate local stories into the play she is writing. "It will be historical and hysterical," Henson added.

A parade, a movie showing, a "community cast party" or picnic, a grand ball as well as the organization of a permanent "Raintree County" exhibit on the Pioneer Playhouse grounds are being considered. Carolyn Crabtree of the Danville-Boyle County Convention and Visitors Bureau said often tourists want to see where "Raintree County" was filmed.

Book, DVD in the works

A book and DVD also are in the works. Local residents who remember when "Raintree County" was filmed and have stories to tell about it, have memorabilia from the film, or who were part of the hoopla - maybe as an extra - are wanted for "oral history"-type interviews both for the book and DVD. They can call Crabtree at (859) 236-7794 or e-mail [email protected]. Crabtree is not conducting the interviews, but rather is serving as a contact person for the committee and will pass names on to those creating the DVD and book.

For example, Mary Stith Hamlin of Stith Funeral Home, another committee member, remembered her dad and W.T. Isaacs picking up Taylor in a horse-drawn carriage for the Louisville premiere. She also remembered breaking her ankle catching fireflies for Saint to take back to California.

Henson said her dad, the late Eben C. "Colonel" Henson, was the reason "Raintree County" was filmed in Danville.

"He knew the location manager for MGM, Eddie Woehler," Henson explained. "He worked with Dad down at Silver Springs, Fla."

The Colonel contacted Woehler, showed him pictures of Boyle County that he'd taken, and had him take a look around the area. Woehler liked the look of Boyle County, Henson said, because of its lack of utility and lightpoles.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Very good news indeed, even though it means a long wait until the release.
Raintree County is such a beautiful epic movie, Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift are adorable in it.
I for one can't wait and say: Bring it on as big as you can !! :)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
TO FAR AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY WAIT SO LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Haha! I know, I know! This is one of my all time favourites, and I really don't want to wait that long either, but at least we know Warner will do it right.

Andy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
To clarify....

Turner Classic Movies DOES NOT OWN MGM NOR DO THEY OWN THE MGM LIBRARY

Warrner Brothers owns the pre-1986 MGM library,

It is my assumption that TCM (a division of Turner Broadcasting, which is part of Time Warner) has a licensing deal with WB (also part of Time Warner). WB obtained control of the MGM, RKO, and pre-'49 WB libraries when Time Warner bought Turner nearly a decade ago.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Of course most DVD enthusiasts like you and I know the story behind the MGM library, but I don't expect Administrative Assistant from the Danville-Boyle County Convention & Visitors Bureau to know the details. I am guessing she got confused and assumed that TCM the channel that regularly airs this movie would also be the one to release it on DVD.

With 2007 being the 50th Anniversary of "Raintree County", and Elizabeth Taylor's 75th birthday, what do you think the odds are that Warner has something special planned? I hope so!

Andy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm pretty sure Warner is going to release this on dvd sometime in the next 2 years or so, but the elements are in need of extensive restoration which means 2007 is probably the correct dvd release year.

Crawdaddy

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I wonder what aspect ratio they will release the film in, especially considering the film was shot in MGM Camera 65/Ultra Panavision 70, but was only released on 35mm anamorphic prints. I wonder if the 35mm only release was known during production and thus impacted the way the film was composed. Or did the director compose for the full 2.76:1 frame thus resulting in a slightly compromised composition when altered to 2.35:1 optical sound CinemaScope prints.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The roadshow 188 minute version that is shown on TCM came from a private collector's print. It was loaned to TCM about 8 years ago and they did a tape preservation. I don't know if Warner Brothers has the complete version.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

This is what I understood, too. The funny thing is, with TCM and Warner Bros being "family," with Robert Osborn even hosting the intros to many WB classic DVD (that, not so coinsidently, seem to show on TCM right before they are released on DVD), that they would just ask that private collector if they could have LDI borrow that loaned print.

When Raintree County was mentioned in one of the WB chats here, they did mention that it needed extensive restortation (as Crawdaddy mentioned) before they could release it on DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Wouldn't the complete film still exist on the 65mm original negative? Since 70mm prints were never made, it would seem that MGM only altered the reduction 35mm elements.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Some Raintree County news from MoviesUnlimited.com:

--

Question: Do you know if there will be a boxed set of the three Jason Bourne movies? Would you also know of the following possibilities: Mr. Peabody And The Mermaid (William Powell); The Opposite Sex (June Allyson); The Picture Of Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield); Quo Vadis? (Robert Taylor) or Raintree County (Montgomery Clift)?
-- (via email)

Answer: Universal will be releasing The Jason Bourne Collection, which features all three Matt Damon films and a bonus disc of extras, on the same day that The Bourne Ultimatum—perhaps the best of the trio of spy thrillers—hits the streets. Of the other titles you asked about, Quo Vadis? is an almost definite for next Easter, following an extensive restoration, but Raintree County, also getting a heavy facelift, won’t be for a while. The time of the others’ arrival on DVD remains a mystery even Jason Bourne couldn’t solve.

--

In other news, I'm seeing Dame Elizabeth next month in a performance of "Love Letters" for AIDS charity (the night will raise over a million dollars!!) and I hope it will be preserved on DVD!

Andy

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

So, is the release of the Raintree County DVD still planned for 2008? Thats what the Warner Chat in February gave for an estimate.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Stanton Heck said:
I have the laserdisc and it looks good but I have yet to watch it on my HD SET
The laser disc is about 168 minutes while the roadshow version shown on TCM is 188 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks