What's new

I'm so disappointed in DVD quality ... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i didn't seen any problems with M&C either (HT1000 fed by a panasonic rp56 via rgb breakout cables projecting about 70" wide).

i would also mention that i was extremely impresed by MGMs Dead Like Me season set that was released yesterday.
pic quality is incredible for the most part.

there is a lot of life left in standard dvd res.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i didn't seen any problems with M&C either (HT1000 fed by a panasonic rp56 via rgb breakout cables projecting about 70" wide).

i would also mention that i was extremely impresed by MGMs Dead Like Me season set that was released yesterday.
pic quality is incredible for the most part.

there is a lot of life left in standard dvd res.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well I know my TV and the 10+ DVD players I have owned/tried are not the culprit with the two DVD's I mentioned above. Otherwise I'd get this on all DVD's. And you have to realize, I'm talking compression artifacts here. I also agree that most of todays DVD's don't exibit such problems, but some do. I also find it interesting that Colton has seen this on a title that has mist/fog. I'll have to rent this one and see.

Colton: Can you give me a chapter and/or time where you are seeing this? Do you still have your rental copy?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well I know my TV and the 10+ DVD players I have owned/tried are not the culprit with the two DVD's I mentioned above. Otherwise I'd get this on all DVD's. And you have to realize, I'm talking compression artifacts here. I also agree that most of todays DVD's don't exibit such problems, but some do. I also find it interesting that Colton has seen this on a title that has mist/fog. I'll have to rent this one and see.

Colton: Can you give me a chapter and/or time where you are seeing this? Do you still have your rental copy?

Thanks,

Jeff

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The reason calibration is important is that the encoding process relies on the knowledge that you can't see black. Once the image goes to black, the DVD may not differenciate between black and the darker shades of blacker-than-black. With the brightness cranked up, you'll see pixelation in the picture. With mist and fog, the issue may also be with sharpness (should be off or near off) which may emphasize the graduations of the colors of the mist.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The reason calibration is important is that the encoding process relies on the knowledge that you can't see black. Once the image goes to black, the DVD may not differenciate between black and the darker shades of blacker-than-black. With the brightness cranked up, you'll see pixelation in the picture. With mist and fog, the issue may also be with sharpness (should be off or near off) which may emphasize the graduations of the colors of the mist.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
A "not properly" setup system can reveal pixilation.
A "properly" setup system can reveal pixilation.
"Pixilation" can also be introduced from other eqiupment than the source.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
A "not properly" setup system can reveal pixilation.
A "properly" setup system can reveal pixilation.
"Pixilation" can also be introduced from other eqiupment than the source.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Colton,
Can I ask what DVD's you WERE pleased with?
Before these "new original DVDs", made you lose faith in the format.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Colton,
Can I ask what DVD's you WERE pleased with?
Before these "new original DVDs", made you lose faith in the format.

Jeff

Supporting Actor

I can buy that. But I'm talking about DVD compression artifacts and I should have made that more clear in my initial post.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
While I have no doubt that some DVD's display compression artifacts, and that fog is inherently difficult to encode, you have to remember that ENCODING is only one part of the equation.

Decoding plays a very prominent role in the visibility of artifacting. And, as I and someone else mentioned, an improperly calibrated display will accentuate artifacts, since the codecs are designed to dismiss information that is not visible on a properly adjusted display in order to save bandwidth.

I didn't notice the artifacts in Master and Commander - but that's not to say it doesn't exist. I have certainly seen artifacts as described on other discs - even on a properly adjusted display. Improper brightness and sharpness adjustments will accentuate any problems that might exist.

-Scott

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Got you, Jeff.
Makes more sense, now.
I still think a "not properly" setup system could/would show 'some' DVD software artifacts.
However, it would be much more difficult. Too see the defects on the disc, as well as being able to tell the difference of the "not properly" setup system artifacts.
You could, over time with some effort, be able to tell system pixilation over disc pixilation. By carefully noticing the type and amount of pixilation, that was constant too the system. And, what pixilation (disc related), varied.
Obviously, it's better too properly setup the system!!!

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry too much about compression artefacts. Some scenes will have areas affected by them.

"Superbit" releases (or high bitrate versions) of DVDs are one way to solve the problem, although the high bitrate does not mean quality encoding or mastering.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Ron, I don't think there are any DVD players that will induce artifacting/pixilation. Even the cheapest one shouldn't do that."

My father has a non16x9 Toshiba.ITs a 32 inch, ment to look like a wega.

A friend bought my dad his first DVD player last Xmas. I dont remember the brand, but it was a $87 player. I put in Apocalypse Now and during the raid on the village, the helicopters go thru smoke with focus on Killgore. The smoke was all pixelated. It looked terrible, I pionted it out and said it most likely was the player.It wasnt the calibration of the set as I had done it using video essentials.

He took the player back ,got a Sony that was a bit more expensive and when I replayed the same scene, the pixelation was gone.

My brother also had a cheaper Sony flat screen.Maybe a 24 or 27 inch, under $400 brand. It pixelated during DVDs and especially during cable broadcasts.It went back as well for a JVC, which doesnt have the same problem.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I don't have the rental of M&C now, but it was during any scene where they were in the fog. Mostly during scene changes when it fades into another scene that has fog. Hope that makes sense.

I'm pleased with many DVDs and haven't noticed this pixelation in Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Pirates of the Carribean, Moulin Rouge, Alien, Aliens, and many others. Just once in awhile a new DVD will have noticeable pixelation and poor quality. Maybe it's from too much material squeezed onto the disc - instead of the distributor releasing a two-disc version.

I'll post my equipment soon.

- Colton

Dan M

Second Unit
I consider M&C referance material on my setup. I think it's an outstanding transfer and very much how I remember it in the theater.

Panny RP91 with Panny 56" widescreen.
(upgrading soon to an Infocus 4805 projector)

Todd McF

Second Unit
I know its easy to get defensive on this stuff - but I agree with what Colton is saying to some extent - at least about some fog scenes. Otherwise however, M&C is a really stellar DVD in my opinion.

Now, I'm using a FP at 120" diagonal. I've learned to live with the consequences of seeing DVD's at that size. There is always some compromise however the benefits far outweight the negatives. Here is my take:

Biggest Negatives:

Too much filtering makes the picture soft
- LOTR trilogy (Region 1), including FOTR/TT SE's

Edge Enhancement is very noticable
- Superbit Lawrence of Arabia (Region 1 and Region 2)

Dark scenes can create blocking or total loss of detail
- Matrix (Region 1)

Nearly Flawless disks are hard to come by - but great examples are:
- Blade (Region 1)
- Matrix Reloaded (Region 1)
- Matrix Revolutions (Region 1)
- Bad Boys II (Region 1)
- Le Pacte De Loups SE (Region 0)
- Fifth Element Superbit (Region 1)
- Starship Troopers Superbit (Region 1)
- Hero DTS (Region 3)

Really its not the hardware. I can be if poorly calibrated, but DVD's that look good on moderately sized displays can show their downsides on other displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks