What's new

I'm so disappointed in DVD quality ... (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
David Ruiz said:
I'm sorry. I have to disagree with this statement. Even the very latest titles to come out, still have far more edge-enhancement than I would like them to. I'm extremely sensitive to edge-enhancement, so when it's there, I see it no matter what. And I of course, double check to see if my TV is adding it (which it isn't) because I can also see it on my 19" computer monitor as well. I just got Ben Stiller's latest "Envy" which had edge-enhancement as well as "The Rock's" latest movie "Walking Tall" which had EXCESSIVE edge-enhancement. These two movies were just released YESTERDAY, and both had edge-enhancement. It's very, VERY rare that I ever see a movie that has no edge-enhancement. The only recent one that comes to mind, was "Passion Of The Christ" which had none at all, and it was the best transfer ever, because of that.
I guess this topic is still open.

I have The Passion of Christ on region 2 DVD and not watched the film in 5 or 6 years now. I'll have a close look it again looking for around the edges of faces or looking on the right side of the images for any edging as the region 2 might have some then again maybe not? Since you have the region 1.

Watching COMA (1978) MGM region 1 DVD tonight and picture has hit of not sure if its what's it called? Macro-Blocking?(when zoomed in) with Philips BDP7300 that I'm using tonight often use the Pioneer DV-515 multi-region bu the Phillips bluray player can play all DVD region. I'm looking for fine grain but if your at a cinema and sat further back you won't see grain even thou its there. Sit closer to the screen you can see it.

The colour tone on Coma DVD looks about same as the screen captures of the bluray and I'm fine to have the DVD or have thought about buying the letterbox pressing on Laserdisc.

I can see odd scratches and I like prefer dirt/scratches if it was filmed digitally it would have its own artifacts of pixels? Just as our eyes has specs of dirt when looking at a bright light we see dirt particles moving around. So nothing is perfect. :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
As for Colton, viewing displeasure of Master & Commander back around 2004 and M&C DVD I won't change bluray chops off the low end at 30Hz and that is what many have seen!

As for the mist and fog. I looked at one of the first few chapters in when "Down! All hands down!" I didn't notice any pixels unless they are very tiny.

If its rented its been in many hands where some home owners lay the discs on the coffee ad table and I seen my friend do that with his and mine when loaned, not pleased. When not being played disc should go back in its case.

A kitchen tissue damped with a little water and wipe disc in circular motions and then dry it with with the drier end of the tissue and disc comes clean. It won't harm the disc. Otherwise I wouldn't do it to my LD DVD HD-DVD or bluray.

Also possible Colton player has dust or hairs inside the player that can happen! There is a lot of dust floating around that can be seen often with sunlight. That dust will find its way inside the player as it finds its way in our noses when we blow our noses we see it on the tissue and dust can't be avoided.

A few years ago I had green pixels and disc pausing when playing Vertigo, R2 DVD. I had to remove a hair that got stuck across the lens of laser on my Sony DVD player once removed disc played fine.

Projectors at cinemas get cleaned in the morning and again before lacing-up and again before the next show and lastly at the end of evening which is why most have a good operational service record.

If we opened up our players every week and cleaned it out of dust fine particles if left for a month or so I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot more dust and the odd human hair it can't be avoided unless we have room that stores the players in white room and wearing white cloth gloves.

Often film is dragged along the floor between been wound off the cake platter to projector then lanced up at the projector the tail end of the film not important but if hairs or dust get stuck it could come off and get onto the projector, but mostly projectors are cleaned down a lot each day, per performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still do it rented DVD players I wouldn't be surprised if it had enough dust/hairs to make a pillow out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks