What's new

If you've been thinking about buying an Apple Laptop today is the day, RUN and buy a Kindle Special (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If this used MBA is the $1850 one that is at Amazon now, it supposedly includes AppleCare, which has a retail value of $249. $1850 is not completely insane for an i7 MBA with AppleCare. That's almost $100 off the new price of $1699 + $249.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sweet! My experiment for the week is that I loaded a buncha games offa steam and will check them out over the next few days. Am very curious to see how well they run, or not!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Steve Tannehill said:
If this used MBA is the $1850 one that is at Amazon now, it supposedly includes AppleCare, which has a retail value of $249. $1850 is not completely insane for an i7 MBA with AppleCare. That's almost $100 off the new price of $1699 + $249.
Hmmm. I must have overlooked that. That would put it below the list price of a new one. On another note, the $29.919.00 MacBook Air (which you mentioned, but which I didn't see earlier) is back!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thomas Newton said:
Hmmm. I must have overlooked that. That would put it below the list price of a new one. On another note, the $29.919.00 MacBook Air (which you mentioned, but which I didn't see earlier) is back!
It must be gold-plated!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I lurk at MacRumors.com where there is now a 60-page thread regarding the Kindle Special Offer 20 percent discount on MacBook Airs...it seems that Amazon pulled the MBA from the list of eligible computers, now people are trying to convince Amazon Customer Service to allow the coupon. Also, people have been selling their coupons, putting them on eBay, buying a Kindle, redeeming the coupon, then returning the Kindle.... Amazing...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guys at Slickdeals were buying TWENTY PLUS KSOs and returning them after redeeming the code, or selling it on Ebay. Some people are scum. Word is Amazon was cracking down on them, but still....

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One of the terms of the KSO is that the coupon has to be applied to a purchase on the owner's Amazon account. Clearly, people have gotten around this. Scummy practices mean that the good offers are going to dwindle...like the code for a $5 MP3 credit. Nothing like the $312 I saved on the MBA (this is factoring in the cost of the Kindle and savings of sales tax)..

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm spending $10+ on the AMP3 store a week, any coupon there is a bonus to me. And this is the 4th or 5th such $5 special I've gotten. So far tho my KSO 'upgrade' has paid for itself 4 times over. In under a month. If I wanted to be even more savvy I could trade off the coupon codes I'm not planning on using (like the text book one) for more $5 MP3 coupons, at Slickdeals.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There is a new $5 off $10 coupon today. It does not work for MP3's or Kindle books, though. But one blu-ray disc, and it's good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Posten said:
First impressions: Holy crap the disk in this thing is fast. I've got the Quad Core i7 17" don't forget and the slower i5 in the MBA -feels- faster because of the snappiness of the disk. Installed all of my apps from the cloud last night, including the extra copy of Parallels that I picked up on sale last month, just need to get a Win7 ISO on there today/tomorrow to see how badly being stuck in 4gb is going to affect that and if I can even run my game on it. If that isn't satisfactory I'll bootcamp it. If I was a college student again there is no doubt this would be my first choice for a laptop. Damn it's light, bright, and just looks great. Semi-gloss isn't bothering me AT ALL. In fact I forgot about it completely until I started writing this up. Of course I'm not going to be doing much photo and video editing on it to start with, but time will tell.
I just ordered an iMac. How are you putting windows on your MBA? Is there a handy website for doing this?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Three choices, Bootcamp, Parallels and VMWare, I recommend the first two. I'm using P7 and it rocks. In Parallels 7 you can even download Win7 direct from them, including a license, and never need to touch a disk. If you need to go the disk route you can use a surrogate from another machine or plug in a USB dvd drive or bluray drive.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have a valid, legal iso of win7 pro. It has been installed on a pc and I presume I would need to deactivate it first? I can probably do that since I can run my crashed pc a little. Can't I use the built-in DVD drive in my iMac to install it?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The MBA doesn't have an optical drive, does it? Thats why your talking about aataching a drive My iMac does have an optical drive and I presume I can instal the win iso from it?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, you should be able to use your iMac optical drive to install Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks