What's new

I think I've been hit by a surge (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
All of the surge protectors have the "surge" light on, after the power went out and on again.

How do I reset it, or am I supposed to even worry about it! I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but the light is still on. I'd look in the manual- but who honestly keeps the manuals to surge protectors!?

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps see if a fuse is blown, or tripped. It should be somewhere on the side of the bar usually.

Dan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Some have a reset button but judging from what you're saying, this one doesn't. The light can come on for a variety of reasons.
The unit no longer sees a ground. Get a $4 circuit tester over at Home Depot and check for proper wiring.
It died for whatever reason. Buy a new one.
What were you using?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Don't hold me to this, but the "cheap" surge protectors are said to only protect you once. After they take the first surge, a part inside burns out. I guess that is when the red light comes on. The 2nd surge will zip right to your equipment.

Glenn

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
WOW, ok I see what you guys are saying now. It wasn't just one, multiple protectors are all 'lit'

One is a monster(kind of a lower end model) and another is a Cyber power. Dammit- I have to replace them all?!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you own your own house, look into a whole house device. Your utility company may even install it for a nominal charge per month.
The longevity of a surge protector is related to its joules rating assuming your getting MOV based devices. For a fairly inexpensive one, consider a Stratitec available at Sam's Club or at directron.com. Somewhere around $20.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You are correct... mostly: It would be more accurate to say that inexpensive surge protectors (typically build with varistors) have a finite life which depends on the intensity and frequency of the voltage spikes.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks