What's new

I really don't care about football... (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
LMAO. I've no interest in sports, but I do think that men who can't fix their own electrical, plumbing, or automotive problems aren't real men. The "real men" know who to call when they need something fixed, and have no trouble doing so when their wives are nagging them about whatever.;)

I don't hate sports, but if I've got a few hours during the day to dork around and watch a game, then I've got a few hours to work on a project, play with the kids, enjoy the fresh air...etc. The only time I sit down in front of the tube is at night.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
The men I work with like to talk a lot about sports. They are always reading about sports in newspapers. I do not like to read about sports or watch baseball or basketball on TV.

I like to go to the fitness center and lift weights and play racquetball. I would rather be an athlete than read about athletes.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you still live in Austin then you are woefully misinformed about the state law in Texas as it regards the fast lane on the freeway. That is NOT for people to go the speed limit. It is, depending on the road, only for passing or it is for people to go with the flow of traffic. In either case, if you are going the speed limit in the left lane, and causing a back-up, you are violating the law, and you will be ticketed. That's the law, and however much you might disagree with it, that's what it is.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I think I firmly established my real man status right here....

Real men change their own oil and don't drive Toyotas. ;)

The fact that I'm not interested in watching other men in uniforms pat each other on the butt, spit and compare steroid doses is just icing on the cake.

My girlfriends often comment on what a wuss I am, the whole Viet Vet Ex-Marine thing being beside the point.

I'm also overly familar with musicals.

Brian D H

Second Unit

This whole thread is hilarious! (And yes, I'm right there with you.)

I too, had a choice in Highschool between Football and (in my case) Trampoline. The line for people to sign up for Trampoline was 100% girls and no guys at all. I got in line for trampoline (real tough choice :D). As I'm standing there this 6'3" 250 lb guy walks in the room and starts giving me shit for not being a "real man", and telling me I should take Football. I gave him a quisical look, gestured at my line and said, "I get to spend 1 hour a day watching these beautiful girls bounce up and down. Why would a "real man" take foot ball?". He literally stopped where he was, dropped his jaw, and slowly smiled. Then he got in my line behind me. :D

I just don't get the attraction of sports. Sure it's mildly interesting to see athletes at their peak battle it out, but really how interesting can it be? One team wins, one loses, end of story. I'd rather watch talented actors, singers, directors, (at their peak) show me their stuff - at least it has more entertainment value. I guess I just don't need to "win" vicariously through someone else. When I watch my HDTV I'm looking to be entertained, not to be "victorious".

It doesn't bother me much though. I just feign interest and follow sports enough to fake it. The only time it really bothers me is in the news media. Sports is NOT news; It is entertainment. To devote a whole section of the newpaper and 10 precious minutes of every news broadcast to Sports is just excessive. IMO the news should devote no more time to Sports than they do to any other entertainment, and preferably it should be included in the Entertainment section of the broadcast. To be honest I'd rather we keep Sports and Entertainment on separate networks so the News broadcasts could be about real news events.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm a college basketball fanatic -- no other sport exists to me. I've been following the University of Hawaii Rainbows for a LOOOONG time. As I always say, I want them to make the Sweet Sixteen in my lifetime. :)

However, I find that all the men in my office really only care about Football. Sure, when March Madness comes around, they'll participate in the NCAA Championship pool, but I know they don't truly care about the sport.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Would this be the same football that one British actress, in a GQ interview, referred to as 'rugby for girls' because of all the padding they wore? :laugh:

To be fair, I did follow the NFL for a while (never cared for the collegiate game, as cheerleaders and marching bands annoy me to no end), and I watched the Bills appear in (and lost) all four appearances in the SB. :D Eventually, I grew out of the game, as I found it as tedious to watch as baseball (made worse after instant replay).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Not comparing the NFL to high school football, but this statement did bring back a memory.
I ran cross-country in high school.
Every season we would have a football boy or two on the team who had been told to skip football that year.
They would invariably mention that cross-country was much harder than football.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks