What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Season 3? (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Chris, no the S2 episodes are NOT unedited. There is definite effects and music replacement on several episodes here and there (most probably due to deterioration of the original music and effects tracks), including the use of the Season 3 closing credits music on a few of the episodes. The alternate sound effects were quite noticeable, I thought.

I can't remember any specific dialogue cuts, but they could be there too.

RE: The S3 review above, it's GREAT to know that the multi-part teasers are all included. Let's hope that stays true for future seasons of Bewitched as well, as every remaining seasons has multi-part episodes. Good for Sony in this case!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I didn't noticed any edits on the Season 2 DVDs and I have those two episodes on the Columbia House Tapes from the 90s which I assume are unedited.

I'm REALLY glad to hear the teasers are in place! I sure hope this remains the case for the rest of this series and for Bewitched.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I haven't watched any of it yet but the slimpacks are cool in the fact that they have the inside of the bottle inside the covers! And there are mini-pics from some episodes all over the backs amid the episode descriptions.

But in sad IDOJ news, the creator and writer of the series, Sidney Sheldon, passed away today:frowning:

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Sad News about Sidney Sheldon though 89 years old is a pretty long life.

I am wondering if anyone else notices that in the Bootsy Nightingale episode, there is a portion of the episode that has what I can only describe as some sort of weird motion artifacting. The movement is not smooth like it should be. It is hard to describe and occurs somewhere in the middle of the episode especially in the segment where Bootsy meets Tony afflicted with the "Mickey Mouse" voice by Jeannie. This artifacting clears up towards the end of the episode on my copy.

Does anyone else notice this?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I haven't watched "Bootsie..." yet but I have watched the first couple episodes on the first disc and I'm SOOO impressed! I have the Columbia House tapes and "Fly Me to the Moon" looks 239047239472394% better on DVD than it did on those tapes.

I really like that the inside of the cases is the inside of Jeannie's bottle:)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

The problem starts at 11:12 into the episode and stops at the 17:07 mark. That's almost 6 minutes of annoying interlacing artifacts. Of course we should just be happy the show was even released. I seriously doubt Sony will correct this problem and release a corrected disc.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Haven't watched "Bootsie" yet (probably this weekend), but the video/audio quality of this set is below par based on the earlier releases, and certainly compared to Bewitched. I'm wondering if the Jeannie elements weren't stored as properly. The ugly blue print damage on "Jeannie or the Tiger" was pretty surprising to me. At least I haven't come across any music and sound effects replacement yet, like with Season 2.

I certainly hope Bewitched S5 fares better.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
That print defect in "Jeannie or the Tiger" is really annoying considering that episode was released on the Columbia House tapes with no visual problem...though the tape I had had horrible audio but I just dealt with it.

So far I think it looks great, other than that.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
COuld anyone post pictures of their set? Nowhere around where I live has it in stock and it will be a while until I get to go where I can get a copy.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I had pre-ordered Jeannie from Amazon as well...just got mine on Tuesday Jan. 30, of course, I've yet to watch any eps except for the first two on Season 1!!! I gotta get caught up, wait, I have TV on DVD! :)

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I have to say that the "Bootsie Nightengale" episode is very bad! It is jittery for about 15-20 minutes of the show. Also has anyone noticed the mistake that they made with the cover. On the box it sais that episode #13 "My Son The Jeannie" is on disc 3, as the first episode on disc 3 but it is no where to be found!! I finally found episode #13 on disc 2.. as this was another mistake Sony made. I am very disappointed in the "Bootsie Nightengale" episode though because I had to foward through most of it. Sony should recall this set!!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
They should, but will they? Of course not. They'll think we should be happy to have these episodes in any condition, let alone want perfection from a 40+ yr old show. Nevermind that the episode looked great on the VHS release from yrs ago. I'm still wondering why they had to replace the music and laughtrack from that episode from the season 2 set. It just seems like when they're in a rush to release something, they'll do it no matter what the cost...If they couldn't find the original tracks, they'll replace them, if an episode got messed up during the digital transfer (as is obvious that's what happened with the Bootsie episode), they'll just forget about it and move forward. Anyone here old enough to remember the saying "the customer is always right"? I miss those days. Let's just be happy the set was released at all, and pray the last 2 seasons will also be released, errors and all.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Sony didn't even let people know about the "Bootsie Nightengale" episode being distorted. They could have at least left a note about it because some people may think that they bought a bad set and try to return it, or they could have left the "Bootsie Nightengale" episode out of the set completely. I am glad that they did include it because it is better than having nothing at all, but you would think that they would be able to correct some of flaws but I guess they couldn't.

I am at least glad to be able to own this set no matter what problems the set has but I am disappointed that I was not informed of the flaws because I almost paid to mail this set back to Amazon because I have had similar discs to become dislodged or jammed through the mail. I am also a little disappointed about the dumb but easily correctable mistake with the cover art.

I know this is no big deal and it is not a big deal for me either, but it could have been corrected if they would have paid attention to what they were doing before releasing the set! All they care about is making money, obviously. I hope that seasons four and five will be better and will be double checked before hitting the shelves, hopefully if people complain about their sets that they will do better.

I would complain myself, even though it probably will not do any good but it is worth a try because the more that people complain the better Sony will listen. I just honestly don't know who to complain to!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be surprised if they are not aware of it. I think it's a case of someone not double checking it. It's a video transfer problem and not a problem with the film source so it is correctable

AppleSpider

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Regarding the "Bootsie Nightengale" episode issue. This information may be helpful to some. I have access to 4 stand-alone DVD players, 1 portable DVD player and 2 DVD-Rom Drives. I tested the episode in all 7 players, and it played jittery in 6 of them, but not 1. This particular player had an option that the other 6 didn't. It had the option of out-putting "field" or "frame". I had it set to "field" when the episode played fine. I switched it to "frame" just see what would happen, and episode was jittery in "frame" mode. Went back to "field" mode, and it was fine again. So if your DVD player has this option, you might want to use it. Hope that may be of help to some of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks