What's new

HTF REVIEW: "We Were Soldiers" (with screenshots) (2 Viewers)

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I also got a chance to watch WWS today. First; in taking the "grain" issue into account, some of us are watching this film in interlaced or progressive scan mode on various manufacturers DVD players and an assortment of video equipment with different formats and screen sizes as well as each viewers eyesight which may or may not be 20/20 in all circumstances.

I watched it on a 27 inch tv with a Pioneer 341 player which both mate very well. I thought the picture quality(color and sharpness) was excellent in accordance to the vision I possess which I doubt is 20/20 to begin with.

The Dolby Digital soundtrack is quite aggressive and very reminding of the quality of sound that was in BHDown. While I do not have an EX set-up, my set-up does reproduce "phantom ex" very well. I did not seem to hear too much center back imaging on this movie in comparison to other EX films.

Unlike BHDOWN, we get to know the people in a better degree involved in this extremely well produced and directed historical event and how it affected their lives. I would rather say that the main cast of this film gave convincing performances of the characters and events they portray. The real "star" of the film is this battle and strategies between two country's armed forces that took place in 1965 and the effects it had on all concern.

I know a vet from the war who was a Navy Seal. Some of the things he told me do appear in this film(casualties from friendly fire as one example). I also remember from 1965 that we deployed some prop plane aircraft over high speed jet aircraft. The prop planes advantage was in their slower speed which were better suited for strategic operations than the faster jets.

I am not a real "extra lover" on dvds, but I did look at the deleted scene involving Gen. Westmoreland. That was powerful. I also liked the discussion on how the gunfire sound effects were "choreographed".

DanR

Supporting Actor
Ron,

No need to defend Paramount. I am aware that some grain is part of the film elements and desired look, after all, I saw this movie in the theater. I am also familiar with grain in recent war movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down and realize it is intended in some circumstances, nor does it bother me in those films' transfers to DVD. For those of you comparing WWS versus those two movies, I suggest you resample those two movies on DVD, and compare them to We Were Soldiers.

I've been into home theater, laserdisc and DVD for about 10 years. I stand by my comments on this effort from Paramount.

Thanks for posting Paramount's follow up. It is noted, and I'm just going to leave it at that rather than delve deeper into the issue and thus start a big brou-ha-ha about Paramount DVD.

Again, sorry to be a downer here guys, but I'm just calling it like I saw it yesterday. I was a bit disappointed since I like the movie so much.

Regards,
Dan

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Along with others, I was very impressed with this movie overall. I also agree with the previous comments on both the grainy picture and sometimes hard-to-hear dialog.

I'm not normally a big "special features" fan, but found the extras on this DVD very interesting and informative. Like someone above suggested, I watched the deleted scenes once, then watched them with the accompanying commentary and enjoyed the extra information provided. Seeing many of the people depicted in the movie was also interesting to me. I'm left wondering about Sgt Major Plumley... whatever happened to him? Many other characters are shown with their real-life counterparts or at least snippets of interviews with them, but nothing on the Sgt Major. Though he's mentioned in one of the deleted scene commentaries, we never find out what happened to him or get any feeling of whether he made it back after the war or not. I'm hoping that he is leading a happy life somewhere and that his absence in the special features was due to something as simple as he wasn't interested in any publicity from the film.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
As mentioned previously, probably the most accurate depiction of a Vietnam war battle ever presented. I appreciate the fact that both sides were treated with dignity, the NVA were not just a faceless enemy.

The minor grain (40" Widescreen) was not bothersome to me, and the sound was very impressive. Defintely my favorite Vietnam war film - the first that gives an objective "soldier's-eye" view of close quarters combat.

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Thanks for the clarification on Paramount's respomsibilities or lack thereof in the much mentioned graininess of this film.

I was ready to mount my soap box and express my disappointment with the studio in what I initially thought was carelessness in the print.

Now, I can honestly say that the film quality really bugged me, I thought that the grains throughout the video was unacceptable specially due from a very new film. On the other hand I also have to respect the intent of the film makers...grain or not this is a good story, I read the book when it first came out, and with time and medium limitations due to films, I strongly believe that they did an amazing job telling the story.

Audio is amazing...I need to give the video another look with this new information on hand.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Rob,
Plumley retired from the Army as a command sergeant major in December 31, 1974. He served a second tour in Vietnam with the U.S. Advisory Group. His awards include the Combat Infantryman's Badge with two stars; two Silver Stars; two Bronze Stars; four Purple Hearts; a Master Parachutist Badge with five combat-jump stars; a European Theater Service ribbon with eight campaign stars and four invasion arrows; a Korean Service ribbon with three campaign stars and one invasion arrow; a Vietnam Service ribbon with one silver and three bronze campaign stars; and the Presidential Unit Citation badge. He worked an additional fifteen years as a civilian employee at Martin Army Hospital at Fort Benning, Georgia, and retired again in 1990. He lives in Columbus, Georgia, where he is president of the 1st Cavalry Division Association local chapter. He is still alive and well and remains very close to retired Lt. General Moore.

Crawdaddy

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The movie left me stunned. Thanks for the Sgt. Major Plumley update. A hell of a movie!

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Crawdaddy,

Thanks for the Sgt Major Plumley update... that's some great info, and adds an extremely positive endnote to the story. I must admit that I haven't read the book yet, so if the info is there I'll hopefully see it soon.

BarryS

Second Unit
I guess I'm the only one, but I was very disappointed with We Were Soldiers. My review is here. :star::star: out of four.

Blu

Screenwriter
I would say that this is one great movie. The film grain lended to the feel of the film and the era in which it depicted.
This was one splendid effort to depict the horrors of war.

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I watched WWS last night--I was not bothered by film grain at all; the story was just too engrossing for me to notice on my 53" ws Pioneer! I really felt that the deleted scene with Westmooreland & McNamara should have been left in the final print. No, I won't go into why.
All in all, certainly my favorite Vietnam war film.
As an aside, my father is a retired Command Sgt. Major--I've got to ask him if he ever met CSM Plumley during any of his CSM conferences.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with John W Jr in respect of the deleted Westmooreland
and McNamara scene which was not included in the final cut
of the film. Although director Randall Wallace had mentioned
why the scene was deleted due to the political sensitivity
of the discussion, but one should not forget that viewers
were curious how the little red book of the dead NVA soldier
was returned to it's widow. It was returned on the request
of LT Gen Moore. The poignant scene of the widow reading its
contents was heart wrenching.

It portrayed the HUMANE side of WAR.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched it last night. Although good, it's not great. It really had a Hollywood feel to it, not a real war feel. Kinda hard to expalin, maybe the fact Mel was in it hindered the movie more than helped it. It just never really engaged me like previous war films. There were a couple good surprises and some good effects.
Of the last few war films, I'd rate them as follows;
1. Black Hawk Down
2. Tigerland
3. Saving Prvt. Ryan
4. We Were Soldiers
BTW: WHAT did Madeleine Stowe do to herself, she looked horrid, like the walking dead and those lips, talk about too much air pressure. Yet another distraction.
Peace Out~:D

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Finally got my grubby hands on this disc. I myself, loved this movie when I saw it at the cinema. I still feel the same way. This has been the best portrayal of the Vietnam war I have seen. My opinion might be different if I was even alive at the time. I was born a good 20 years later. :b

About the grain, most of the time grain does not ever bother me. I was disappointed that it did with this movie. The good thing is that it was not noticable during the action scenes; which was about 2/3 of the movie. The only times it was very annoying was whenever the women would meet up. The grain would ussualy break up the their faces if they were far enough. Other than those parts, I was actually happy with the picture. Only a teeny bit of EE.

Now the sound. Wowie! The Dolby Digital EX track was a reference quality I think. Very aggresive use of surrounds. I dont have an EX setup (yet) so I could not really detect if the surround-back was used to its potential. So I wont say much. The bass was unreal! It was very intense and overpowering (in a very good way). My Tempest was rocking the place. The sound was awesome!

I havent watched the extras yet. Are all the deleted scenes any good? Has any watched the making-of? Is it good? How about the commentary? I ussualy like it when there is at least two people talking, (sometimes) it less boring.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Watched We Were Soldiers last night, and I am so glad I made a blind purchase of this DVD. My friends Dad said this was the most realistic Viet Nam film he had seen (he saw a lot of action and still has a piece shrapnel in his side). I felt Wallace did a wonderful job of portraying the horrors of Viet Nam. Mel Gibson gave one of his finest performances. There were many emotional moments in the film. A few that hit me the most were when we see Jimmy's burned head on the helicopter after Barry Pepper placed him on it. The shot at the end of the two soldiers in the airport. The Vietnamese girl reading the journal that Col. Moore sent her.

As far as the DVD goes, the grain didn't bother me because I was so involved with the story and the soundtrack was exceptional. I am hoping to give a look at the extras this weekened. I already watched a couple of the deleted scenes but I want to watch them again with the commentary.
Great film, great DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I watched this one last night and was pleasantly surprised. I would agree with some of the others that this is the best Vietnam movie and most realistic one yet. At some points you find it to be cliche to a certain extent ie the part when the soldier is dying and tells the other soldier to tell his wife that he loves her.

But you find out from the book that that actually took place. This movie did touch my heart deeply and I think finally the Vietnam vets are getting their due respect.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I just got done watching this movie, and I have to say that I really loved it. Easily in my top 5 theatrical releases in 2002. I love Hal's speech before they leave, everything Sam Elliot says or does and the end with the guys being shunned at the airport and Barry Pepper beginning his story. The scene that really got to me, though, was perhaps the most horrific thing I've seen in a war movie or any movie for that matter, the guy who took the napalm. His face and legs just curdled the contents of my stomach.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I just watched it last night and loved it. I don't think it was the best war movie I've ever seen, but still a damn good movie and I'm very satisfied having made a blind purchase.
I've got to agree with you Ron, Madeline Stowe looked gastly! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks