What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Marx Brothers - Silver Screen Collection (1 Viewer)

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
in "Animal Crackers" is the line "I think I'd like to make her." still cut out?

It's still cut, darn it, as is Harpo putting his head in Thelma Todd's lap in Horse Feathers' chopped-up "ice man" scene. These are the same prints that have been in circulation (although Dave Kehr in the New York Times reports that some scenes in The Cocoanuts have been sourced from a 35mm print rather than the previous 16mm).

(Reportedly alternate prints that include Groucho's "make her" line were seen in the 1960s and '70s, probably referring to prints originally created for foreign distribution, but like Bigfoot their existence remains anecdotal.)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
It should also be noted that even if original camera negative material was found, the censored footage would not be in it as Paramount made censorship cuts directly into the camera negative and did not save the trims.

As for Paramount having any material, this is untrue as all of the material that they had was forwarded to Universal. This doesn't account for private collectors' prints, which may or may not have cut scenes depending on the vintage of their prints (trailers count as well, as the trailer for NIGHT AT THE OPERA contains several shots of the deleted scenes).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've just finished watching every film in the set and I LOVED them. I think Universal has presented a very attractive collection and I'm sorry to read so many negative reviews on it. The packaging was very classy, and the films themselves looked quite good under the circumstances (knowing about the history of THE COCOANUTS and ANIMAL CRACKERS, for example).

Granted, I've never owned the films before - and prior to buying this set I'd never seen any of the Marxes' early classics except for DUCK SOUP. But are we that spoiled with our DVDs today that we can't appreciate this worthy presentation? Sure, the extras were sparse, but what was there was interesting and better than nothing.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the set, and am looking forward to viewing the films when the theater room is finished (incentive).

Perhaps a resource for some future edition might be an episode of a tv show that appeared in the 1960's during the summer season. It was called "Wayne and Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at..." and then each week featured some early film actors. One of the episodes we "Wayne and Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Marx Bros.". I really don't remember much about it, except that it was informative, provided a lot of historical background, and had plenty of illustrations (clips), as Messrs. Wayne and Schuster told us all about the Marx Bros. That was my first exposure to the Marx Bros. working together. (You Bet Your Life, of course, was just Groucho.)

Very entertaining and informative (for all of the featured actors).

I think this series may have originated in the UK. Might be a resource for other DVDs featuring old classics.

DG

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
OK.

Maybe it was Wayne and Schuster themselves that were Brits? Or maybe Canadian?

Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about. Just thinking about the Marx Bros. brought this "free association" thought (about "W & S... Marx Bros.") from my childhood.

DG

Edit: P.S. When it was originally broadcast, I had an old reel to reel tape recorder. I taped the microphone to the speaker of the television, and recorded the "Wayne & Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Marx Bros." episode. I think it was the early 60's. I think I may still have the tape in a box somewhere.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've watched all the films but Monkey Business (I'm saving it for later in the week)...

I had seen Horse Feathers and some of Duck Soup on Turner Classic Movies before. These two are some of the funniest films I've seen. The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers aren't as flawless, but they're stil excellent.

The remasters for The Cocoanuts, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup are beautiful. While they're not perfect, they at least look untouched by digital artifacts. I was impressed by how fine the detail was, especially on The Cocoanuts (which is the "worst" looking of the 5). Animal Crackers is an interlaced master that's a little soft. It still looks great, though.

The sound is good, too. The Cocoanuts sounds muffled a lot, but it seems to be how it has always sounded.

I wish more extras were included, but... the 3 interviews ARE excellent. The trailers are good, too, even if the one for Horse Feathers is just a video trailer (I was surprised to see the "MCA Videocassette Inc." logo pop up on a DVD!) The booklet is actually a very nice extra. I may just buy the "Unknown Marx Bros." DVD as another bonus disc.

JennZ

Auditioning
I had a question on your review of the DVD's. Trivia question was posed with for a paper contest.

I have been searching the Internet for a 1963 interview with Groucho Marx where he referred to this Marx Brothers film as "a terrible picture...and almost our last".

Everyone seems to think it is Monkey Business, but after reading your review I am leaning towards Love Happy.

Do you by any chance remember if this quote was about Love Happy. I have been to the Library and bookstore searching books on the Marx brothers but cannot find what movie he is referring to. Thanks for any help.

Jenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks