What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Last Waltz" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I just checked out the Paul Butterfield segment that you indicated in your post. The other drummer is Richard Manuel. If you look closesly during the opening of this chapter, you'll see that his seat at the acoustic piano is vacant.
Manuel is shown playing drums on the "Evangeline" number with Emmylou Harris as well. If you listen to the commentary tracks, there are some amusing comments from his surving bandmates on his drumming technique during this segment.

Regards,

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know why the Staple Singers are credited as the Staples in this movie? Something contractual?

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Nothing like raising old threads out of the archives, but I've always found an excuse not to purchase this title. Then a Scorcese Box set with this, the Raging Bull 2 Disk SE, Box Car Bertha and New York New York (I might ebay that one) made this a must purchase.
Now I'm thinking...
HOLY CRAP! Why did I wait so long to get this title?
The Visuals - Outstanding
The Audio - Outstanding
The Extras - Outstanding
(what was the "infamous" item with Neil Young that was asked to be removed?)
I found this little tidbit while surfing - an excellent read -

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
what was the "infamous" item with Neil Young that was asked to be removed?)
Probably him taking a big snort of cocaine before coming onstage. Apparently on the big screen you can see the powder on his nose. I've never noticed it before, or have studied the DVD to see if it is there, but that's the story as I remember reading about it year ago.

I just got this disc with the box set myself, and found it to be the hi-light of the set, being much more entertaining than I remember it. It must be the great 5.1 mix, that just blew me away after only seeing this on VHS with no home theater set up.

I had to laugh, I watched "Driller Killer" about a week later for the first time, and that movie opens with a title card stating "This Film Should Be Played Loud!"

I strange tribute to Scorsese on a genre classic by another New York director.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks