What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Italian Job (2003) Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
MikeM,

I couldn't agree more. Distracting EE, Grainy, Flat looking video. The sound was average for me.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the reveiw Scott, it was a blind purchase yesterday and I spun it last night. What a fun and enjoyable movie with a great cast.

As for the video, I agree with your assesment; clean, sharp, detailed with solid blacks and vibrant colors, looked beautiful on my 80" screen, I was impressed. The audio is decent, front loaded but the surrounds are quiet except when needed.

Thanks for the Eegg Ken, I'll check it out.

Peace Out~:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice this? I was at Best Buy yesterday and it looked to me like only the widescreen version of the 2003 The Italian Job had a sticker on it to win a new Mini?

Nelson

Burki

Agent
I havent watched the old one but i watched this one and it was a total disappointment to me. When i was watching the 1st scene at venice i thought i would be something good then bad acting,simple story. And by the way instead of Charlize Theron , Angelina Jolie should have acted.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
There are a few instances in this rather plain soundtrack that sound great if you engage EX decoding.

Charlize is one smokin' babe. The highlight of a rather ho-hum caper flick.

A few things I did enjoy were the obvious attempts at keeping the violence toned down (most of the main thieves didn't want to hurt anyone with their heists, just have a bit of fun, and they made it a point to say it) and swearing to a minimum, and the use of practical stunt pieces (and the actors doing the bulk of the non-dangerous stunts as a bonus) rather than blatently obvious CGI and/or models, and/or stunt people. When they did use CGI, it was done to great effect, and you wouldn't know it had been used unless they had pointed it out. The way CGI should be used in a movie anyway IMHO. George Lucas TAKE NOTE!!!!!

As for caper remakes, I still think Ocean's Eleven was a slicker production overall with a little bit better acting. I felt they had a great idea with The Italian Job, but lost some steam because of a weaker script. Many times I felt the actors were just ad libbing and winging it on the set. Besides, George Clooney and Matt Damon have more chemistry than "Marky Mark" and Seth Green put together... but at least Mark Wahlberg did seem to try to have a greater range of emotions than he usually can muster... and did I mention Charlize Theron is hot?! :b

Dan

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I just got this via Netflix, and I am really looking forward to watching this based on this review!

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
Another dissenting opinion here: I rented this over the weekend and found it so astonishingly dull and conventional that I literally could not finish watching it. It's awful.

Kev A.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the DVD Gift Set Blind purchase (after so many people said 2003 remake was so great)

I watched the 1969 version first loved it, the mob, the funny sex stuff and acting was great... So when I put in the 2003 remake was thinking great things.

But

The 2003 remake was just terrible the Napster parts had no business in a movie. The acting seemed dull which I was shocked because of Ed Norton being in it. The story was poorly written.

I think the 2003 remake is highly over rated.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Found an Easter Egg on this disc:

For you who thought that it seemed ad libbed, the Easter Egg may prove it to you.

If you want to see it, go to the special features menu. The first item on top is the documentary on the making of the Italian Job and will be highlighted, don't hit enter, rather use the directional controls on the remote and press the left arrow. An icon of the Mini will appear above on the top area of the menu. Select it and you'll see a few outtakes of Seth Green during the scene he mocks Jason Stratham as he tries to get the cable girl's shirt and van.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks