What's new

HTF REVIEW: Golden Girls, Season Five (1 Viewer)

Norm_A

Auditioning
I was just curious if anyone has contacted Disney about the missing scenes from Season 5 DVD's and if Disney has responded?

Many thanks,

Norm

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
'They're looking in to it.'

If we are lucky we will get some story about missing tapes.

Norm_A

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply 'RoryR'...looking into it is better than not doing anything at all.

Tab

Auditioning
Real Name
Tab Varney
Hello,

Concerning the edits of the episode "Like the Beep Beep Beep of the Tom Tom" in the 5th Season: I did some research online and found that microwaves DO NOT affect pacemakers. At least they don't now. Maybe that's why that particular episode was edited. Guess Buena Vista doesn't want to spread mis-information.

I could be wrong about this but it seems like a reasonable explanation. Of course, I don't know why other episodes would be edited for DVD but maybe its for the same reasons. Who knows.

Just thought I'd share this.

Tab Varney

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I picked up this set anyway, despite my misgivings about possible edits. I'm still not sure they're all edited. I am still finding scenes/lines that I don't recall from the recent Lifetime airings, so if they're edited, they're edited differently from their recent broadcasts. Beyond that, I'm kind of disappointed in the set due to:

1. The chapter divisions. Weren't the prior sets divided so the opening titles were their own chapter (i.e. so you could skip the opening theme song and get right to the show if you wanted)? This set does not have this chapter break, you have to FF thru the titles.

2. The picture quality seems worse than prior seasons.

3. The "commentaries" are basically worthless: Rue going on-and-on about her wardrobe and Bea saying practically nothing at all. Betty White is marginally better, but basically just repeats all the same material, nearly word-for-word, that she's given in interviews over the years (i.e. "Rue and I were originally in each other's roles, then we switched just before we began filming....Rue just took 'Blanche' out into orbit..."). None of them seem to really have any insight or thoughts about the specific episodes they're watching.

4. And during Bea's commentary, her limited comments were basically praising the writing to the heavens, how the series was like "catching lightning in a bottle," and how "daring" they were in tackling controversial issues. It practically made me want to scream at the TV: "IT WAS YOU, BEA, WHO PULLED THE PLUG ON THE SHOW! IF IT WAS SUCH A WATERSHED SERIES, AND HAD SUCH GREAT WRITING THAT HASN'T BEEN MATCHED SINCE, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH IT FOR A FEW MORE YEARS, YOU...YOU...FESS PARKER IN A DRESS!! :D

Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, indeed. :frowning:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Like calling it "The Complete Fifth Season" when there are edited episodes?

Fox didn't cut any footage of the "Krusty Gets Busted" episode of The Simpsons, and it is based on the same premise: Krusty the clown has a pacemaker, but while supposedly robbing the Kwik-E-Mart made himself a microwave burrito. This is why Bart and Lisa suspect he was framed.

Should Warner/Turner also cut out the flagrantly incorrect mathematical equation spoken by the Scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz"?

The concerns about pacemakers and electric appliances were once serious, but have now been refuted.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, after moving on to disc 2, it appears that only disc 1 suffers from this. Why on earth would two discs in the same set be mastered differently with different chapter breaks?

Also, a question: I watched "Mary Has a Little Lamb" last night. Was this another attempt at a spin-off pilot? This father and pregnant daughter just show up out of the blue and are treated by the cast as if they're life-long friends, yet they've never been seen before and are never seen again. It's a pretty good episode, it just seems supremely weird that these never-before-seen characters are dropped into the middle of the show like they've always been part of the cast. It's like a Twilight Zone moment for the audience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks