What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by Tino

Bryan

It's a Blu Ray disc as opposed to a regular DVD.

It contains 2 features. I haven't watched them yet but they are:

1. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1: Behind The Magic...in HD and runs 44:09..looks like a TV special

2. Harry Potter On The Road..in HD and runs 19:37..looks like a deleted extra.

Nice

Thanks! Seems mostly promotional in nature, but the Bonus Disc version is actually cheaper than the one without it, so that's not a bad deal.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have yet to see the movie, but I can't believe they deleted these two scenes: Sc. 15 - The Dursley House (:52) shows a moment of vulnerability with Aunt Petunia. Sc. 16 - Dudley and Harry (2:05) shows the cousins making peace. For anyone who's read the book, those were two crucial plot points and brought to closure the whole Harry vs. the Dursleys subplot. Well...maybe they'll stick them back in if the movie gets a Special Edition release--

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

I have yet to see the movie, but I can't believe they deleted these two scenes: Sc. 15 - The Dursley House (:52) shows a moment of vulnerability with Aunt Petunia. Sc. 16 - Dudley and Harry (2:05) shows the cousins making peace. For anyone who's read the book, those were two crucial plot points and brought to closure the whole Harry vs. the Dursleys subplot. Well...maybe they'll stick them back in if the movie gets a Special Edition release--

I totally agree! As an editor, I understand the need for "getting the movie started," and I understand the desire to make a montage out of the opening, but I was already disappointed those bits weren't in the movie when I saw it at the theater. But now actually seeing how they would have played out...wow! I don't know whose decision it was to let those scenes go, but I think I would have tried to fight for keeping them in.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

I totally agree! As an editor, I understand the need for "getting the movie started," and I understand the desire to make a montage out of the opening, but I was already disappointed those bits weren't in the movie when I saw it at the theater. But now actually seeing how they would have played out...wow! I don't know whose decision it was to let those scenes go, but I think I would have tried to fight for keeping them in.

Haven't seen them, but I've no doubt they'd slow down the picture. But again--they might do a special edition blu like they did with the first couple movies and put them back in. If those scenes played out the way they did in the books, then they're critical in explaining why Harry was left with the Dursleys in the first place and we get Dudley's real opinion of Harry, rather than just leaving the film series thinking Dudley hated him forever. I thought those scenes brought a good closure to All Things Dursley in the books, and I am a big Dursleys fan! I was very disappointed when I realized they'd not make it into the 4th movie.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Haven't seen them, but I've no doubt they'd slow down the picture. But again--they might do a special edition blu like they did with the first couple movies and put them back in. If those scenes played out the way they did in the books, then they're critical in explaining why Harry was left with the Dursleys in the first place and we get Dudley's real opinion of Harry, rather than just leaving the film series thinking Dudley hated him forever. I thought those scenes brought a good closure to All Things Dursley in the books, and I am a big Dursleys fan! I was very disappointed when I realized they'd not make it into the 4th movie.

The scenes don't really go into the reason Harry was left there, but they are a nice couple of moments that I think could have been trimmed up and worked into the opening montage somehow.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

The scenes don't really go into the reason Harry was left there, but they are a nice couple of moments that I think could have been trimmed up and worked into the opening montage somehow.

SPOILER ALERT:

oic--I assumed it was the scene that explained that Dumbledore left Harry there because only Petunia actually had the power to keep him safe. Forgive me--I'm actually not seeing either Deathly Hollows film intentionally--because I'm gonna wait until there's a 8-volume complete series on bluray, which as I said, I assume will be out sooner than later. Don't call me crazy! I actually did the same thing for all 3 Lord of the Rings movies. I intentionally did not see any of them until all 3 special edition dvds were out. Then--I kid you not--I actually sat down and marathoned all 11-12 hours of the trilogy in one day. I'd honestly to send off Harry Potter in a big five-hour marathon sitting at home, watching my blurays, than I would in the theater sitting there with all those popcorn munchers and crying infants

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I very much like this chapter of the series and the Blu-ray is wonderful except....

Hey, would it have killed Warner Bros to include the trailer? It is the first and so far ONLY H.P. Blu-ray not to feature its own trailer.

Where can one find it, other than BD live or some such horses**t?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Dick

Well, I very much like this chapter of the series and the Blu-ray is wonderful except....

Hey, would it have killed Warner Bros to include the trailer? It is the first and so far ONLY H.P. Blu-ray not to feature its own trailer.

Where can one find it, other than BD live or some such horses**t?

If it's only BD Live, then that's just not right. I don't even have my bluray player hooked up to the internet, and I probably never will. (Nah, I will, someday, but if there are extras to be had, they should be on the damn disc in the first place 'cause BDLive stuff doesn't stay around too long. The discs do).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Dick

If it's only BD Live, then that's just not right. I don't even have my bluray player hooked up to the internet, and I probably never will. (Nah, I will, someday, but if there are extras to be had, they should be on the damn disc in the first place 'cause BDLive stuff doesn't stay around too long. The discs do).

They'll most likely include it in the double-dip Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The other material on the Best Buy Bonus Disc will also show up on the Ultimate Edition of Hallows Part 1.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What's only on BD-Live is not on the disc, period.

The fact that the disc basically has a few URL-links to other content can be handy, but those links could be found any place else on the 'net and what will be found following them ("playing it") is not to be considered as a part of the content of the package. Referring to information elsewhere is exactly that: referring to information elsewhere.

Cees

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Cory S.

The other material on the Best Buy Bonus Disc will also show up on the Ultimate Edition of Hallows Part 1.

Ah, good to know. I'm still holding out hope for a complete ultimate mega-set of all 8 movies. Probably by Christmas, do you think?

Also, and slightly off-topic, I was at Target today and they suddenly had reissues of all the films in new packaging and a lower price point ($14.99 when I was there). If anybody buys them, could you please let us know what the transfers look like--if they're an upgrade on the original pressings? Thanks-- :D

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Ethan, I don't see a series box set featuring the Ultimate Edition contents happening this Christmas. Personally, since it was revealed by David Heyman that there are some new "revealing" documentary footage about the making of Deathly Hallows and the other films that are still being edited right now, I see a series box set coming out next summer (along with the individual releases of the Ultimate Editions of Hallows Parts 1 and 2). As for the Target editions, they're the same transfers as the first releases of the Potter films on Blu Ray.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm guessing that the Target editions don't just re-use the same transfers as the first releases, but actually are the exact same discs, bundled with a DVD and digital copy.

I remember that around the time the first two Ultimate Editions were released, Target had exclusive DVD releases of the Extended Editions (they were otherwise available only in the Ultimate Editions, alongside the theatrical version and some trinkets), featuring the same basic package design as these new Blu-rays.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

What's only on BD-Live is not on the disc, period.

The fact that the disc basically has a few URL-links to other content can be handy, but those links could be found any place else on the 'net and what will be found following them ("playing it") is not to be considered as a part of the content of the package. Referring to information elsewhere is exactly that: referring to information elsewhere.

Cees

Right there with you Cees - I hate when bonus material is made available only as a BD-Live thing, and then is advertised as being part of the disc. (Biggest offender I can think of offhand is the Fantasia Blu-ray -- beautiful looking disc, but an absolute tragedy that all of the wonderful supplements from the original DVD were left off the disc in favor of a clunky BD-Live section.) I think everything available should always be on the disc itself, and that BD-Live should only be used for content created after the disc's release, or to correct omissions or mistakes from the disc. I have a funny feeling that in not too long, most of that stuff will be inaccessible anyway; I can't remember ever hearing anyone get excited over BD-Live, that is, anyone other than studio marketing people.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Cory S. said:
Ethan, I don't see a series box set featuring the Ultimate Edition contents happening this Christmas. Personally, since it was revealed by David Heyman that there are some new "revealing" documentary footage about the making of Deathly Hallows and the other films that are still being edited right now, I see a series box set coming out next summer (along with the individual releases of the Ultimate Editions of Hallows Parts 1 and 2).
I've always held off buying ANY of the Potter series on DVD or Blu Ray, and it's taken just about every once of patience I could muster. I figured there would likely be some sort of super boxed set once the series was done. Has there been any official confirmation of this from Warner Bros.? I was hoping for the super Blu set this Christmas, but you're probably right, Cory. I suspect there will be some sort of set, but it will most likely just be the "normal" versions of the films. Then, perhaps in summer 2012 or Christmas 2012, they'll release the super version. I'm not sure I can hold out that long... matt

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Matt Lucas said:
I was hoping for the super Blu set this Christmas, but you're probably right, Cory. I suspect there will be some sort of set, but it will most likely just be the "normal" versions of the films. Then, perhaps in summer 2012 or Christmas 2012, they'll release the super version. I'm not sure I can hold out that long...
I have no inside info but my guess is that they'll release the one disc Deathly Hallows Part 2 at the end of this year and maybe the ultimate edition of Deathly Hallows Part 1. Then at some point next year, they'll put either the last or both Deathly Hallows UEs out and then at Christmas, they'll put all the UEs in one box and maybe add a new bonus disc to that box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks