What's new

3D HOUSE OF WAX 3D Official! (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I note that Mystery Of The Wax Museum shows as 1080p on my plasma TV, looks like a new encode, upscales nicely, i'll have to check on the computer to see frame rate but i'm thinking it's not the original frame rate.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
FoxyMulder said:
I note that Mystery Of The Wax Museum shows as 1080p on my plasma TV, looks like a new encode, upscales nicely, i'll have to check on the computer to see frame rate but i'm thinking it's not the original frame rate.
Unfortunately, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM looks worse on the HOUSE OF WAX Blu-ray than it did on DVD, because of extremely annoying motion-blur artifacting. The movement is not natural-looking, sort of jerky, most noticeably during camera pans. Something went wrong during authoring, methinks. Hold on to your DVD for MYSTERY viewing.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I watched this movie for the first time as a blind buy. I loved it. This is the 4th title I own in 3D and I'm really loving it.
I noticed that the darker the room the better the 3D (for me anyway)

I'm looking forward to buying a few key titles to add... w00t!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I was disappointed with this. Compared to Creature From the Black Lagoon, the depth is practically non existent. It's certainly better than watching it in 2D, but for all the raving I was certainly expecting something more 3D-like. I've only watched about 20 minutes though, maybe it gets better later?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bruceames said:
I was disappointed with this. Compared to Creature From the Black Lagoon, the depth is practically non existent. It's certainly better than watching it in 2D, but for all the raving I was certainly expecting something more 3D-like. I've only watched about 20 minutes though, maybe it gets better later?
The normal check your settings warnings applies, but really, wait until the paddle ball man!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bruceames said:
Depth non-existant, check your settings, look at the opening titles, massive depth and that's just one example.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
FoxyMulder said:
Depth non-existant, check your settings, look at the opening titles, massive depth and that's just one example.
Opening titles should be coming out of the screen. Parts (like the hands) of the wax figures also come out a bit at the beginning of the movie.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RolandL said:
Opening titles should be coming out of the screen. Parts (like the hands) of the wax figures also come out a bit at the beginning of the movie.
I know that but i am talking about the depth in the background while the opening titles play, the street scene, there is a lot of depth there, i have a DLP projector, this title looks fabulous on it and there is zero ghosting, plenty of depth in House Of Wax.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I get plenty of depth on other titles, so I don't know what settings adjustments I could do. Compared to Creature, Tangled, Titanic, and others the movie looks relatively flat. I kept taking off my (passive) glasses and never saw much blurriness like you'd expect. I'll check it out again when I get home though and give it another shot. See if there's anything that can be tweaked. I just got my first 3DTV last week (Sony 65X900A) so I'm pretty exited to check a lot of stuff out.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bruceames said:
I get plenty of depth on other titles, so I don't know what settings adjustments I could do. Compared to Creature, Tangled, Titanic, and others the movie looks relatively flat. I kept taking off my (passive) glasses and never saw much blurriness like you'd expect. I'll check it out again when I get home though and give it another shot. See if there's anything that can be tweaked. I just got my first 3DTV last week (Sony 65X900A) so I'm pretty exited to check a lot of stuff out.
Something doesn't sound right, i know this is an obvious thing to say but make sure it's not been set to play in 2D.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
FoxyMulder said:
Something doesn't sound right, i know this is an obvious thing to say but make sure it's not been set to play in 2D.

I checked that. No, I put it 2D mode and there was quite a difference. Don't get me wrong, there is depth, but it's rather subtle-like and not obvious 3D like the other movies I mentioned.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I watched some it again today and it looks much better. I don't know why, but it does, so please disregard what I said before. Perhaps my eyes weren't in the mood yesterday, but then again Creature From the Black Lagoon looked good. House of Wax doesn't have quite the eye popping in-your-face 3D as Creature, but it looks good. Now to watch the rest of the movie!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Before today, I always tolerated the ghosting and crosstalk that House of Wax and Dial M would exhibit on my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma.

Before today, I never used the Cinema Smooth feature during playback, since I thought it was a useless feature similar to DNR. I decided try it out, and lo and behold, no more ghosting or crosstalk while watching House of Wax!

I wish I knew about this earlier.

I'll try it on Dial M tomorrow and see how it looks.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
revgen said:
Before today, I always tolerated the ghosting and crosstalk that House of Wax and Dial M would exhibit on my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma.

Before today, I never used the Cinema Smooth feature during playback, since I thought it was a useless feature similar to DNR. I decided try it out, and lo and behold, no more ghosting or crosstalk while watching House of Wax!

I wish I knew about this earlier.

I'll try it on Dial M tomorrow and see how it looks.
Cinema smooth is for playing back blu ray at 23.976fps, it's not a DNR feature even though smooth makes it sound like one.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
FoxyMulder

I purchased the 2014 Samsung 60" H7150 tv less than 2 weeks ago.

With my old 55VT30 Panasonic plasma, "Dial M for Murder" looked awful.

It's a revelation to see it on the new Samsung. Much more light, much less ghosting, more detail (yes! more than the plasma), color has more
punch, even more depth.

In real estate they say Location Location Location. On 3D maybe it's Display Display Display.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
aPhil said:
FoxyMulder

I purchased the 2014 Samsung 60" H7150 tv less than 2 weeks ago.

With my old 55VT30 Panasonic plasma, "Dial M for Murder" looked awful.
The panel response rate is very fast on your television, it's the refresh rate of those panels that improves crosstalk and it's why for example DLP projectors tend to not exhibit any ghosting whatsoever, i'm glad you are happy with your purchase. :3dglasses:

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yes a great price. I'd been waiting and waiting for a price drop like this - but I actually caved 3 weeks ago and bought a copy from an Ebay seller for $25. No big difference, especially since the currency conversion would be around the same, and I saved money on postage by buying a few more films from the same seller. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks