What's new

House, M.D. ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I'm worried about the subplot stuff that's creeping into this show. It just seems like there's suddenly a lot more of it, and I worry about it overtaking the procedural stuff. Without a Trace has already had an episode or two that had nothing to do with missing persons, and I'd hate to see House go off course like that.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

OTOH that would be on way to break the "we're 40 minutes in, time for a pseudo-cure" formula problem. I don't have a problem with a show doing the odd off-format episode. Joe Straczynski made it a point to do at least one genuinely off-format show a year on B5. Sometimes these experimental episodes worked, sometimes they didn't (and often they seemed to work for half the audience but not the other), but they always tried and often went for something brave or unexpected. I think such things help the writers stretch a bit, clear the cobwebs, and approach the show from a new angle. This can improve even the "on-format" shows that follow.

Regards,

Joe

Evan M

Second Unit
Pretty good episode, I thought. The patient kind of took a back seat in this one to make room for the drama of firing someone. I am going to be quite curious to see how this pans out.. I'm sure House is now even more sure that Chase is the one that's been feeding Vogler info... and I wonder how Chase will feel when he finds out that House picked him to be fired.

Should be interesting.

I'm still not convinced that girl would have looked that much better in a week. :| I mean, come on...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Knowing House, I think he'll feed them falso info, one at a time, and wait for it to back up. Can House fire Chase anyway? That would be interesting too.

Glenn

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Interesting developments tonight...

Is this confirmed anywhere? It would mean Vogler is soon out of the picture. Again, I hope so...I find the 'evil hospital owner' thing cliche and annoying.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I kinda think so too, but short term it's providing some excellent drama and character development for the rest of the cast.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

As I noted above, we're so close to the end of the season that both the actors and the producers will have plenty of time over the summer to discuss bringing him back for next season - so I wouldn't make assumptions about how soon he will (or won't) be gone. And I don't see Volger as any kind of cliche. The knock on cliches is that they're all the same and you can always tell what they're going to do next and why. Volger forcing House to fire a member of his team not because of budget cuts but purely as an exercise of power - and then telling House about it is not the kind of thing you have ever seen any other "evil hospital administrator" do, and I'm confident not something you predicted before you saw it happen tonight. So how is this original and unexpected character a cliche?

Regards,

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Vogler and the now 'Evil' Chase that joined the show tonight are making this show more a chore to watch than something I really enjoyed watching in the beginning. Next week's rerun ep is the perfect example of what's so wrong with this week's ep. If they keep Vogler for S2, I'll be cancelling the series subscription on my DVR.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Sure, this SPECIFIC instance is not something I can recall seeing. That doesn't mean the "evil administrator looking to cut back for profit" is not a medical show cliche.

And, despite a creative instance I may have never seen, he still annoys me. I didn't feel the show needed this added level of cliche conflict when he showed up, and I still don't. I think the characters and situations are unique and interesting enough without it. It reminds me very much of the jerk they threw into CSI to "mix things up". But, at least CSI waited a few seasons.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And you seem to agree. :) Volger isn't behaving like the cliche. It isn't a specific instance of the cliche, it isn't the cliche at all.

Volger, as we've alredy discussed, isn't doing it for "PROFIT". With Volger it isn't about the money. (And he's not the hospital administrator, either.)

So you're complaining that they're doing a cliche which they aren't, in fact, doing. You also decided Volger was a cliche "as soon as he showed up" and before he did anything to cofirm or disprove your assumption. When he didn't behave like the cliche you expected, you condemned him for doing so anyway.

OK, whatever. I prefer to adjust my perceptions to the reality instead of the other way around, but maybe that's just me.

Regards,

Joe

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Well, I don't have quotes from the show...but, I can remember discussions between Vogler and Cuddy where he has SEVERAL times mentioned profit, losing money, dead weight, and other things that the "evil hospital administrator" cliche character is wont to say.

I do agree that this ONE INSTANCE of reversal wherein Vogler decides to power battle with House over a firing is unique. Nothing else about his character is. Therefore, the character is cliche, the ONE thing he has done thus far is fresh. Will they continue to re-mold the character into something new? I hope so...either that or I hope they drop him.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
The reason I was hooked to the show was the interplay of House and his staff. House was in charge and that works for me. A subjegated House isn't nearly as fun. He's not as witty or sarcastic. I'm in the camp that doesn't enjoy Vogler because the dynamic feels forced and not an organic plot complication. The in-fighting between the staff isn't as much fun to watch, and as a result is hurts the program. And besides that, with all the back-stabbing, I don't know how they could possibly regain that sense of cameraderie or innocence.

Just my humble opinion.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
It is the evil profit first hospital owner cliche that adds an extra (and unneeded) layer of conflict. The writers (or producer) couldn't leave well enough alone.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Despite the ever-increasingly-annoying evil hospital admin, last night's episode was GREAT!

My wife is in shock that Cameron is leaving. But, we all know she won't be "gone". At least, I don't think so! Her line about House doing things because they're the right thing to do...I think she understands why he can't/won't open up emotionally to a colleague/underling. Her "leaving" opens the door to a relationship.

Classic speech by House. The gauntlet is down between him and Mr. Cliche. Did anyone see the preview for next week? "I'll ruin you!!" Man, I laughed out loud. Tell me that isn't cliche.

I just want him to be gone so I can enjoy the other characters. Though, his presence has added a VERY interesting edge to Chase. His blowoff of House was an awesome moment.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I thought last nights was arguably the best of the season. Although I'm not a fan of Mr Cliche, I have to admit that his element has really helped the development of the rest of the characters.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't be too sure: Notice they completely wrote her out of the second half of the previous episode (or maybe two weeks ago, with the little fat girl in the crappy makeup)--- I'm wondering if she's taken another job already.

-V

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
If really a permanent departure it may explain what was reported by the futon critic on April 4th. See excerpt:

"Sela Ward, Golden Globe Award winner and Emmy Award winner for her role in the television series "Once and Again," will guest-star in the last two episodes of the current season of the FOX series HOUSE. In addition, Ward will return to HOUSE for season two in a recurring role. Ward will play a woman from Dr. House's past who returns to Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital, where she used to work as a lawyer. Although she has a complicated past with House, her return into his life is under much more dire circumstances."

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the die is cast between House and Volgler. Next week looks really good. Was also glad to see at the end of this episode that House didnt just jump all over Cameron like most other shows would have him do. He played it down like the man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks