What's new

Hooked my new X1 tonight!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Borgman

Agent
All I have to say is WOW. I don't even have my screen yet. Projecting in a very off white somewhat dirty wall. Went from a 36" Sony flat screen to a 100", unbelievable. And to think this cost the same as the 36" sony after all is said and done. If any of you are looking to get into something cheap look into it.

Thanks to all who answered questions that helped me make this decision.

Dave

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Ah the joys of owning that first projector. You will find yourself looking at every dvd you own again. Get a custom to spending more time at home. :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Congrats, i just passed the 100-hour mark with my X1, owned it for 2 months :)

Its awesome

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still working on the fifty mark. And yes, you start watching all of your dvd's again. It is always better the second time around when you have a 100" picture.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I was impressed with my X1, except for all the rainbows that I am subject to. I'm returning it this weekend on a pre-order for an Infocus Screenplay 4805 (4x wheel). I don't want to. The idea of going back to 27" TV....ugh. So we are going to be projectorless for a few weeks (4805 is due to be out in March/April sometime). Hoping for March. I love the X1, but dark on light or vice versa is rainbow city for me. Not going back to old-school TV after I get the 4805!!

Dan M

Second Unit
Ok everyone, I've been thinking heavily about going FP. I'm really excited about what I'm hearin about the 4805 coming up, but I was thinking about demoing the X1 in the meantime.

What can I really expect? I'm currently watching a 56" Panasonic widescreen. Looks great but just too small for me now. I want the BIG pic now.

Will picture quality still be as good (or almost)? Will ther be much of a trade off?

What the he-- do rainbows look like?:D

BTW I have a Panny RP91 dvd player

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Here's a really good fake rainbow flash animation someone on AVSforum came up with :

http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

It's kind of like that. Best simulation I've seen. Not quite right, but close. You get it when you track something across the screen. Many people see nothing. Out of my group of family/friends-

I see rainbows like made on high contrast scenes and none on scenes with very consistent contrast. White is the killer for me. Especially white on black.

My fiancee sees them sometimes, but less than me. I had one friend who had no idea what I was talking about except with white text on a black background (movie credits). Another was pretty similiar to me. My fiancee's parents couldn't see anything.

You should demo the X1 with you, any S.O., and any frequently visiting family to see if anyone can see them. It's a lot cheaper than the other 4x projectors and very awesome.

Dan M

Second Unit
thanks for that link DaveGTP. I think I get the idea.

I could see that right away!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Dan, that is not a rainbow, its just what one looks like. That link is to educate people what to look for in the search for rainbows, not to determine your sensitivity to rainbows. You will have to see a dlp projector in person to determine if you can see them. My opinion is everybody can see them if you look hard enough, but some are more sensitive than others. I used to see them here and there on my X1 but they slowly went away over time. I think its possible to adjust, unless you are extremely sensitive to them.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's just a simulation of what they look like. You may or may not see them, depending on your brain/eyes/etc. You really have to see one in person. Get one from somewhere with a good return policy and check it out for yourself.

Dan M

Second Unit
great advice guys....thanks....interesting phenomena those rainbows.

But my main concern realy is just the overall quality of the picture. Blowing up an already imperfect image to 100" concerns me a great deal. Guess I'll just have to try one out.

It doesn't have to be DLP but from what I'm gathering that seems to the preferred format. And I'm hearing so many good things about the Infocus models (especially the X1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks