What's new

hemo the magnificant and.... (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
many years ago, in ancient laserDisc history, Rhino and Image Entertainment released the entire Bell Telephone (1959-1960 ...i think) series. i find them very entertaining. Are there any others who might purchase these if they were released on DVD?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely purchase those.
I remember watching those in school. They were great.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Me too! The great Frank Capra was responsible for the first four BELL SCIENCE specials--
  • OUR MR. SUN (animation by UPA studios (Mr. Magoo, Gerald McBoing Boing, etc.))
  • THE UNCHAINED GODDESS (about the weather, animation by James Culhane, who had done the cool end credits animation for AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, and had earlier worked on Betty Boop and Woody Woodpecker cartoons)
  • HEMO THE MAGNIFICENT (about blood & the circulatory system, animation by James Culhane)
  • THE STRANGE CASE OF THE COSMIC RAYS (puppetry by the Bairds, who had created puppets for popular 1950s kid shows like LUCKY PUP, FOODINI THE GREAT & JOHHNY JUPITER)
--and Jack L. Warner (then head of Warner Brothers) continued the project after Capra moved on (fortunately, these specials don't belong to the current incarnation of Warner)--
  • GATEWAY TO THE MIND (about the brain & the five senses, animation by Chuck Jones)
  • THE ALPHABET CONSPIRACY (about language, animation by Friz Freleng)
  • ABOUT TIME (animation by Friz Freleng)
  • THREAD OF LIFE (about genetics & heredity, animation by Bob "Foghorn Leghorn" McKimson)
I believe the Walt Disney studios made a final BELL SCIENCE special, THE LIVING SEAS, which never made it into Rhino's tape & LD collection.
Each show is about an hour long, shot on color film, and feature great character actors, like Richard Deacon, Hans Conried, Eddie Albert, Richard Carlson, Les Tremayne, Billy Barty, the guy who played the drunk in the bar in THE BIRDS, the voice of Lionel Barrymore (one of his last performances), etc., in increasingly surreal settings. These programs could easily fit in a two or three DVD set. Bring 'em on, Rhino!
All hail Dr. Frank Baxter! :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes I remember these from my school days. I would love to get these on DVD, heck even on VHS. These were entertaining and of course, educational. Would be great to own.
------------------
Qui-Gon John

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyone have any recent news about this series coming out on DVD? I want to watch HEMO right now!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Now would be a great time for a release of these films. Especially with the SchoolHouse Rock DVD coming out.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
ok..!!! I have HEMO...AND MR. SUN....is that a chance that the others will make it to DVD...i would love the complete set!!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well actually then you have 4, just like me.

Hemo the magnificent

The Unchained Goddess

Our Mr. Sun.

Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays

By the way these 2 DVD's are great.

What are the others? By my searching on IMDB I found:

Gateways to the Mind ???

The Aplhabet Conspiracy

The Thread of Life

About Time

Any others?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks