What's new

Help me spend $5000! Photos + details inside. (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Okay, now that I have pretty much decided to convert to projector, I need suggestions on how to spend $5000 to get the best possible projector and screen. Below are a couple of photos of the room, along with key characteristics/dimensions: Distance from Viewing Wall to Sofa Seat Back: 14.5 ft Width of Viewing Wall: 16 ft Ceiling Height: 8 ft 6 in Width from Outside of Front Left Speaker to Outside of Front Right Speaker: 8 ft Height from Top of Center Speaker to Ceiling: 5 ft 4 in Surface Colors: Ceiling is white, walls are Sherwin-Williams SW6143 Basket Beige Current TV (going back to Samsung): UN65D8000 Usage: Primarily movies at night, with some TV viewing and Wii play (I'm not a gamer). I do watch football all day Sundays during the NFL season. Budget: $5000 Bottom Line: I would like for you more experienced forum members to recommend an exact make/model projector and screen for this application.
room1.jpg
room2.jpg
Concerns:
  1. Right now I have my Blu-ray, DirecTV STB, and Wii all wired to the AVR via HDMI, and then a single HDMI cable running from the AVR to the TV. Will I still be able to do this with a projector?
  2. I currently have an Ethernet cable wired to the TV. Will I be able to do the same with a projector? (can I still stream Netflix, etc., or can/must I do that via the Blu-ray?)
  3. Given my entertainment center there below the TV, will this allow me to use a 100" or larger screen, or is it simply too large/high?
  4. Although my drapes aren't technically "black-out" drapes, they do a pretty good job of keeping the light out when closed. There is an identical window with identical drapes directly to the right of where I am standing to take the first photo. Is this enough light control?
  5. Will fan noise be a concern since I'm assuming the projector will be directly above the primary viewing position?
  6. How big of a deal are the various source material aspect ratios where screen size/shape is concerned?
Questions:
  1. What would be the very next step up from the Epson Home Cinema 5010 or JVC DLA-RS45?
  2. Would you recommend a fixed screen mounted on the wall, or one of those automatic retractable ones?
  3. When you suggest a screen size for me, can you also indicate how far back on the ceiling the projector will need to be mounted?
  4. Is there any "warm up" time for a projector, or will I still be able to grab a plate of food, walk downstairs, turn everything on, and immediately start watching TV or a movie?
  5. If a select a projector like the Epson Home Cinema 5010, JVC DLA-RS45, or the next step up, will there be a lot of calibration necessary, or is it pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Or, will there be calibration settings posted here I would be able to use? I'm in Southwest Missouri, so having an ISF tech come out is not an option. I do have the Disney WOW Blu-ray.
  6. I currently have 5 pair of Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D Active Glasses. Is it possible I will still be able to use these with the projector I select?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Patrick G said:
Okay, now that I have pretty much decided to convert to projector, I need suggestions on how to spend $5000 to get the best possible projector and screen. Below are a couple of photos of the room, along with key characteristics/dimensions: Distance from Viewing Wall to Sofa Seat Back: 14.5 ft Width of Viewing Wall: 16 ft Ceiling Height: 8 ft 6 in Width from Outside of Front Left Speaker to Outside of Front Right Speaker: 8 ft Height from Top of Center Speaker to Ceiling: 5 ft 4 in Surface Colors: Ceiling is white, walls are Sherwin-Williams SW6143 Basket Beige Current TV (going back to Samsung): UN65D8000 Usage: Primarily movies at night, with some TV viewing and Wii play (I'm not a gamer). I do watch football all day Sundays during the NFL season. Budget: $5000 Bottom Line: I would like for you more experienced forum members to recommend an exact make/model projector and screen for this application.
room1.jpg
room2.jpg
Concerns:
  1. Right now I have my Blu-ray, DirecTV STB, and Wii all wired to the AVR via HDMI, and then a single HDMI cable running from the AVR to the TV. Will I still be able to do this with a projector?
  2. I currently have an Ethernet cable wired to the TV. Will I be able to do the same with a projector? (can I still stream Netflix, etc., or can/must I do that via the Blu-ray?)
  3. Given my entertainment center there below the TV, will this allow me to use a 100" or larger screen, or is it simply too large/high?
  4. Although my drapes aren't technically "black-out" drapes, they do a pretty good job of keeping the light out when closed. There is an identical window with identical drapes directly to the right of where I am standing to take the first photo. Is this enough light control?
  5. Will fan noise be a concern since I'm assuming the projector will be directly above the primary viewing position?
  6. How big of a deal are the various source material aspect ratios where screen size/shape is concerned?
Questions:
  1. What would be the very next step up from the Epson Home Cinema 5010 or JVC DLA-RS45?
  2. Would you recommend a fixed screen mounted on the wall, or one of those automatic retractable ones?
  3. When you suggest a screen size for me, can you also indicate how far back on the ceiling the projector will need to be mounted?
  4. Is there any "warm up" time for a projector, or will I still be able to grab a plate of food, walk downstairs, turn everything on, and immediately start watching TV or a movie?
  5. If a select a projector like the Epson Home Cinema 5010, JVC DLA-RS45, or the next step up, will there be a lot of calibration necessary, or is it pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Or, will there be calibration settings posted here I would be able to use? I'm in Southwest Missouri, so having an ISF tech come out is not an option. I do have the Disney WOW Blu-ray.
  6. I currently have 5 pair of Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D Active Glasses. Is it possible I will still be able to use these with the projector I select?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Concerns: 1.Right now I have my Blu-ray, DirecTV STB, and Wii all wired to the AVR via HDMI, and then a single HDMI cable running from the AVR to the TV. Will I still be able to do this with a projector? sure, no problem 2.I currently have an Ethernet cable wired to the TV. Will I be able to do the same with a projector? (can I still stream Netflix, etc., or can/must I do that via the Blu-ray?) I dont know of any PJs that stream netflix directly. Good idea to use your BD player. 3.Given my entertainment center there below the TV, will this allow me to use a 100" or larger screen, or is it simply too large/high? Too high. 4.Although my drapes aren't technically "black-out" drapes, they do a pretty good job of keeping the light out when closed. There is an identical window with identical drapes directly to the right of where I am standing to take the first photo. Is this enough light control? Not for any time of day time viewing. Also consider painting your ceiling / walls a dark non reflective color (and putting down a dark throw carpet in the area between your couch and screen. 5.Will fan noise be a concern since I'm assuming the projector will be directly above the primary viewing position? most likely not. 6.How big of a deal are the various source material aspect ratios where screen size/shape is concerned? a small - medium deal. HDTV is 16x9....70 % of film content is 2.39. Questions: 1.What would be the very next step up from the Epson Home Cinema 5010 or JVC DLA-RS45? Epson 6010. 2.Would you recommend a fixed screen mounted on the wall, or one of those automatic retractable ones? At your price point, a retractable screen is not a reasonable request. 3.When you suggest a screen size for me, can you also indicate how far back on the ceiling the projector will need to be mounted? Figure 14 feet in most installations. This will vary...you will have to look a the projectors throw range. 4.Is there any "warm up" time for a projector, or will I still be able to grab a plate of food, walk downstairs, turn everything on, and immediately start watching TV or a movie? Figure 5 minutes. 5.If a select a projector like the Epson Home Cinema 5010, JVC DLA-RS45, or the next step up, will there be a lot of calibration necessary, or is it pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Or, will there be calibration settings posted here I would be able to use? I'm in Southwest Missouri, so having an ISF tech come out is not an option. I do have the Disney WOW Blu-ray. That is a whole other topic. 6.I currently have 5 pair of Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D Active Glasses. Is it possible I will still be able to use these with the projector I select? Perhaps, most likely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks