What's new

Help choosing projector and screen (1 Viewer)

Ryan_D

Agent
I'm planning to buy a projector and screen in the next month or so.

The front row of seats will be 16-ft from the screen. I have 2 possible locations for the projector. One is a ceiling mount approximately 15-ft from the screen and the other is on the rear wall approximately 22-ft from the screen. I'm not 100% certain that the ceiling mount will work without blocking the view from the rear row of seats. The room is light controlled.

I was considering the Panasonic PT-AE2000U, but the new Sanyo PLV-Z700 sounds good for $750 less after rebate. Any other projectors I should be looking at in the

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

I think you need to speak with a professional (if you want good results).

16 feet from the front row to the screen is a LONG DISTANCE IN HT.

Your comments on screen gain are interesting ??? (keep reading). Screen gain has nothing to do with where you place the PJ or how far it is from the screen.

If you are mounting on the back wall which is 22 feet from the screen you will need a long throw projector and given your limited budget (ie: 500 for the screen) you will be adding a huge amount of money to the project to acquire a long throw PJ. (and yes, I am aware of DIY screen options).

Lots to learn about with HT...and it is always a lot of fun!!

Best wishes

Gregg

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Why would a ceiling mount block the view from rear seats? And your screen size is too small (unless you have a low ceiling).

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Screen size is way too small, sounds like you have a big room. Consider 120-130 inch screen. My first row is 12 feet from 126 inch screen with no issues. I suggest the Epson 1080 UB over the panny or the sanyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks