What's new

Head units without flashing lights and tiny buttons? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I'm looking for a basic, simple, decent sounding head unit. I don't want a bunch of flashing lights, useless features, tiny buttons, and hard to read displays (yes, I just eliminated almost every aftermarket car audio head unit in existance).

Does such a thing exist anymore? What I wouldn't give a volume KNOB.

I know I'm not the only one frustrated by the current offerings. I'm just shocked that no seems to be offering anything for the older-than-25 market.

Thanks,
Steve

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

Well, lots of aftermarket HU now have pop up rotary volume knobs.

I agree with the bling bling pimp pimp blah blah design of current aftermarket HUs.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I have a panasonic that while it does have a flashy display it can be turned off, and has a knob

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Some Alpine HUs can be adjusted to look non-pimp. It seems that this year's models have gone back to a more classy look. I think Alpine realized that they aren't going to compete with the Panasonics of the world in terms of visual 'bling'.

It would be nice to see some players like the old Denon head units (machined alum. faceplate with a few simple buttons and volume knob + excellent SQ).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You might check Nakamichi’ stuff. Don’t know how good it is, though – might want to research the car audio forums. The stuff certainly looks nice, though. Basic black, looks like a real hi-fi component not a video game.

Eclipse’s lower line models may also fit the bill – the displays are basic read-out, decent sized buttons and a couple of things that look like knobs. However, they look gaudy to me.

Others head units of interest to grown-ups you, but may have a hard time finding:

Denon DCT-A1-N (rebadged as the Rockford Fosgate Platinum 2000, aka RFX 8250)
Denon DCT-R1
Denon DCT-Z1
McIntosh MX406

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i agree with looking at alpine and eclipse. They are both quality brands for headunits. The eclipse have a 'plain' look to them, which might be more appealing to someone older. Some alpines have some flash to them, but the more basic units are more subtle. Check out the alpine cda-9827 you can get it for around 200 on ebay. I'm using hte alpine cda-9825 which is a step below it, with no mp3, remote, or blue display.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
Basic Pioneers are good and all Eclipse are good. I run a 8443 and its the best on SQ, but the buttons do take a little bit of time to get used to cause it lets you do alot of customizing.

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Panasonic CQ-C110U head unit and I love it. It has a simple design that is in no way confusing. The display isn't flashy. It's white dot-matrix LCD on a blue background and it is very legible in all conditions. I highly recommend it. I would post a link to it but appearently I cannot post URL's until I have 15 posts. You can find the CQ-C120U at Crutchfield. The only difference is that it has a remote. They don't seem to have the 110 anymore.

nat_t

Auditioning
alot of the basic alpine do what most people need and they even have a volume knob. im replacing the stock cd player in my 2002 explorer with a alpine.

nat

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
You might check out some of the newer JVC's. I have the JVC KD-SH707 and absolutely love it. It's not overly cluttered, simple to use, and has a rotary volume knob. This is the only CD player I've ever kept in my vehicle for over 2 years, and it will be in there until it dies!!! (I think this is my 6th or 7th in-dash CD player! :))

Jason Fulton

Agent
Nakamachi's are by far some of the best HU's I have ever worked with. Blend in with most stock interiors nearly seamlessly. They also sound incredible. I would go with a Nak if you've got the money. I currently run a Alpine 7995 and am very happy with it, but it does have some degree of "bling" factor.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Ah i'd go with somthing from Pioneer. There are alot of new ones that i find too flashy. I got an older one and it plays perfectly. It has a knob for volume control which i prefer actually.

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
I can post links now so HERE is the radio I was talking about. An excellent design. I haven't seen a better one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks