What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I thought last night's pace was well done! I do get tired of the jumping around multiple storylines. We got to relax and focus on some character work last night and it was enjoyable.

Epic Tyrion drunkenness. Bravo, Dinklage.

I just wish one of the three storylines hadn't been Stannis. It's always nice to see Carice naked, but I'm just not a fan of that storyline.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Reading through this thread makes me realize sometimes how enjoyable for so many the end of this season and big happenings next will be.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
I just wish one of the three storylines hadn't been Stannis. It's always nice to see Carice naked, but I'm just not a fan of that storyline.
I mostly agree with this. There are bits I like with Stannis's storyline, but I'm not invested in any of the characters in his story branch like I am with the others. I'd like Davos not to die, and Stannis's badly-in-need-of-a-dermatologist daughter seems like a good person, but that's about it.
TravisR said:
The scene when he says too much to Joffrey was awesome. I'm sure that Joffrey is still alive and well in the books but I was hoping for an unexpected twist where he stabs that little SOB in the eyeball or something.
I was rooting for the same thing. When Joffrey finally gets what's coming to him, the sort of scenes we've been getting with Tyrion won't be kind enough.What I really enjoyed about this episode was that it focused on people's preconceptions being challenged. Of those, I loved Arya and the Hound the most. She's been pledging his death every night for a very long time now. She came into this season with a very black and white view of the world. Now she actually spends some time with the Hound, and she realizes that things aren't as simple as she thought. People don't fit neatly into one column or the other.I also loved Sansa and Tyrion. The fact that Sophie Turner's taller than most of the men on the show now was perfect for driving home the awkwardness of this pairing. The world world seemingly conspired in driving them into this marriage, and yet behind close doors in private matrimony, they're the only ones who have any say. And Tyrion does the honorable thing. If Sansa isn't getting a better idea of who she's married to now, she's even more foolish than I thought.I also enjoyed the scenes between Sam and Gilly, where Sam's innate intelligence shines through even as we get a picture of just how isolated and ignorant Craster's "wives" were kept.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Sam, sam, sam *sigh* I know you are scared witless, but you've got to pick up the blade of dragonglass before you go running off into the wilderness.

- Walter.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Quentin, on 20 May 2013 - 1:17 PM, said:

Quentin said:
I mostly agree with this. There are bits I like with Stannis's storyline, but I'm not invested in any of the characters in his story branch like I am with the others. I'd like Davos not to die, and Stannis's badly-in-need-of-a-dermatologist daughter seems like a good person, but that's about it.
Let's see....Last time the Red Witch made a move involving royal blood, Renly was killed by a shadow. Now they've made 3 blood offerings to the God of Light, one offered for each other remaining king. Important, ya think?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Walter Kittel said:
Sam, sam, sam *sigh* I know you are scared witless, but you've got to pick up the blade of dragonglass before you go running off into the wilderness.

- Walter.
LOL. Exactly. Maybe he goes back for it in the first scene next week. Ah well, I'm sure they'll find more.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Dheiner said:
Let's see....Last time the Red Witch made a move involving royal blood, Renly was killed by a shadow. Now they've made 3 blood offerings to the God of Light, one offered for each other remaining king. Important, ya think?
Usurper Joffrey, Usurper Robb, Usurper Balon. Balon??? He's more scant in the show than he is in the books. Do we really care?
BTW...this 'offering' is not in the books and I thought it was sort of a lame telegraph of the deaths that are coming. Particularly since I don't think Joffrey will be dying until the beginning of next season. Why do I think this scene will be part of the 'previously on' bit before that episode?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So Sam has transformed from Intelligent and Cowardly to Brave and Stupid! Pick up the damn blade!! Oh well, guess you have to keep balance in order.

Best line of the night: "And now my watch has begun." :D

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Quentin, regarding your spoiler:

The offering with the leeches is indeed in Book 3. It's in the Davos chapter where Stannis names Davos his Hand. The leeches are plump with Edric Storm's blood, not Gendry's, but the offering is otherwise the same. In the book, however, Melisandre references killing Edric in order to wake the stone dragon. It's interesting that the line was left out of the show.Of course, the sex stuff is definitely new for our viewing pleasure.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wow. That was just..... wow.I did not see that coming at all. Damn, as a viewer, this show makes me want so much revenge against fictional characters. Seriously, I'm stunned at that whole thing. The silent credits was perfect for the shock.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap on a stick!! Just saw tonights episode....never read the books. So the red wedding was quite a shock. Killed half the fricking cast. Frey was one pissed off scumbag. I did read in a GOT wiki that this betrayal broke one of the oldest rules of Westeros...when you welcome someone into your home. No harm should come of them. This turns the Frey's into pariahs. On another note. Wonder why Jon Snow left his women after she defended him. She looked pissed.Sean, I agree....I too want some serious revenge on the Lannisters and Frey's.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For those that haven't read the books, the first scene in which Robb, Catelyn, Walder Frey, etc. eat a token bit of food is the ritual that places the house guests under the safe keeping of their host. Well, that's how it is supposed to work. :)

- Walter.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The interesting thing about this is that I found myself a bit conflicted rooting for Daenerys and also the Starks, because I figured she's coming and whoever is holding Westeros is going to get slammed.Now it's all Daenerys. But I still love Tyrian Lanister, I'm rooting for Jon Snow and Sam, I wish Sansa well, and I hope Arya lives to become a force to be reckoned with (and gets lots of sweet revenge). But with the way this story has been going, Arya will probably wind up raped and dead. But the North is done. Let the Lanisters and Stanis Barathian fight it out. Daenerys will stomp whoever is still standing, and then she'll have to deal with the threat from north of the Wall and the coming Winter.But I haven't read the books. For all I know, Danny can be betrayed and dead in the next episode. And again, just wow.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Todd S-

That's a huge spoiler, but only a SUPER BRIEF mention within this book if I remember right, and not a factor until the next.

As to "it's all Denarys now.." I would beg to differ; you've still got a lot of Starks still out there..

LOVED tonight's episode. Was how I had pictured it in my head as I read it, especially the reveal of armor under the dress.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The book version of the Red Wedding was superior to what aired tonight for me. Though the initial shock value is so intrinsic to the event that whichever way you first experience it will probably be the version that sticks with you more.

Poor Robb: like father, like son.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks