What's new

HBO True Detective (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
My only complaint is that it's going down the now stereotyped road of Christian church as a front for diabolical pseudo-pagan serial killer cult.
That's a very valid complaint. About the only time that religion (any of them) is dealt with in popular culture is when some nut uses it as an excuse to kill people and it's just really clichéd at this point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't see them going for a big twist with the identity of the killer. This show has presented a fairly realistic take on police work so with only two episodes left, I think they're going to hone in on a suspect within the church and then prove- to at least themselves and the audience- who done it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
When the girl at the care facility described the "giant" I began wondering if Billy Lee Tuttle has any scars. Jay Sanders (the actor portraying Tuttle) is 6'4" in height which would seem pretty gigantic to a young child.

- Walter.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Apparently there's a bunch of theories floating around about this. I haven't been reading any - just too busy. But one did float past my eyes this morning. Apparently there is a real life serial murder mystery in Louisiana that's been going on for several years that has some parallels to the TD story line. According to Uproxx, where I read about this, there is a recent twist to the real life story the seems to be where TD is heading.

I throw this out there because this is the kind of thing I'm interested in and maybe someone else is too.

https://medium.com/p/d1b813e13581

The twist in the story, incidentally, came after TD was written.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
This show continues to fire on all cylinders. Truly great TV. I wonder if this will open up other 'movie' actors to doing a one and done TV series.

Can't wait to find out what happens in the finale.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I didn't think it was weak, but I was expecting a bit more to happen. The finale is going to have to cram a lot into it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
I wonder if this will open up other 'movie' actors to doing a one and done TV series.
At the very least, I think the high quality of this show will make it easy for them to get more movie actors for a second season (assuming that McConaughey and Harrelson don't return).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I thought episode 7 was the only weak link so far, you guys dug it?
The episode had a different vibe because the flashback narrative was not present. It felt like the show was kind of 'catching its breath' and setting up events for the finale. I wouldn't classify it as weak, but yes it was different in terms of story structure. Really loved the final sequence this week with the 'Lawnmower Man'.

- Walter.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I didn't feel it was weak at all. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the next thing to happen. And now I'm even more highly anticipating the finale.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I'm guessing that Marty's wife is part of the cult. She f**ked Rust because she knew that would break up their partnership as they wouldn't let these cases go. Now suddenly she is checking in on him at the bar he works at present day? Maggie's father is probably involved too. With their daughter drawing the sex pictures when she was young and not seeming to really know why and now in later years she's a troubled goth...it all fits.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Jason Hughes said:
I'm guessing that Marty's wife is part of the cult. She f**ked Rust because she knew that would break up their partnership as they wouldn't let these cases go. Now suddenly she is checking in on him at the bar he works at present day? Maggie's father is probably involved too. With their daughter drawing the sex pictures when she was young and not seeming to really know why and now in later years she's a troubled goth...it all fits.
Now that's an idea I hadn't considered. Her father, yes (which could still explain the daughter's issues).

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Jason Hughes said:
I guess I'm not expecting any twists or 'gotcha's like this. I think it's simple - Maggie was attracted to Rust in '95 and '02 and when she heard that he was back she went to see him. As far as the daughter - that's more a result of genetics and Marty's inattentiveness.

I think the finale will be tense and exciting and straightforward. But I know who to acknowledge if said is what ends up happening. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
I guess I'm not expecting any twists or 'gotcha's like this.
Yeah, that kinda thing worked on 24 and Breaking Bad, etc. (it's one of the things that I loved about those shows) and while I could be wrong, I'm very confident that True Detective is going to take the case to a logical ending rather than a shock ending.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Jason Hughes said:
If you're right, Jason, you can laugh at me too because I don't expect this. :D Maggie and the daughter's behavior is easily explained -- Marty is a dick and treated his family like shit. This has been one of the better series to watch this year because it's complicated enough to make it challenging viewing while also being interesting enough to be compelling.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
It's a wild theory, I realize but it's fun to take guess! Great show, can't wait one way or the other to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks