What's new

Hanna-Barbera cartoons are way overpriced! (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Give this man a prize (or better yet, a dictionary)!

For the above quote now has the record for the most mistakes for a post of this length ... 24 errors (by a rough count)!

Congrats! Nice job. :)

(Ever wonder what those keys marked "Shift" do?) :)

;)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Sorry David S., but your posts are very hard to read.

I don't think it's fair to say that we're "Scrooges" for not buying these at the very expensive prices they charge. Survivor is a 5-disc set that's selling for less than $40 for the most part. And yet Best Buy has the 4-disc HB sets for $53? That comes to $13.25 a disc. That'd be a great price for a movie, but considering that if these were single discs, they'd probably be $10 it isn't a fair price.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I guess it just depends on whether you think a movie has more value than a tv show. Even at $13.25 a disc you'd be getting more content than a single movie wouldn't you?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I can't believe how cheap that is. Even harder to believe is that there isn't a Costco within several hundred miles of me.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I checked out Scooyb Doo episode #17 "That's Snow Ghost" on Cartoon Network this morning and the dvd mistake is not there. We paid a lot for this set, and it needs to be fixed.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

But it won't be. Neither will muting 2 lines in Jonny Quest for political correctness reasons, or using title cards with Orbity in the picture, when there was no Orbity in the show during the first season of the Jetsons. They'll just keep pumping out whatever they want, not caring about what the fans what. And of course the fans will keep on buying it. It's sad.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to keep on buying, except for The Flintstones. There are too many other tv shows out there and these are too expensive. Sorry WB.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

It's not TOO sad ... actually (IMO). :)

While I totally concur with your thoughts about essentially "Getting It Right The First Time 'Round", I still will most certainly buy sets like the Jonny Quest set (which is absolutely perfect, save for a few very, very minor nit-picks, IMO) and others of interest to me, even though the studios don't get every single tiny little thing accurate right to the letter.

The thing that's even "sadder" is that some people will miss out on owning some of their favorite shows (that they've admittedly wanted on DVD since God knows when) just because of some silly little mistake -- like "Orbity" being shown on the title cards.

With a bigger example of this "sadness" (aka: lunacy) being that some individual buyers actually have refused to buy the stellar Mary Tyler Moore Season 1 DVD because of a 20-second edit in one episode! (I'm not thrilled with this edit either -- but isn't this akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water? I think it is. And it's a shame, too, because MTM-1 needs all the sales it can get!)

As Walter Cronkite once said during his nightly CBS-TV newscast -- "I'd rather have a Heathen-less Jonny Quest set than no JQ at all! And THAT'S the way it is..."

(Or was it Gabriel Heater who initiated that classic phrase? I can never remember.)

:) :) :)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
While I appreciate the need to keep these as close to the original as possible, I wasn't born back when these cartoons were shown the first time around so the only time I saw episodes was in syndication so I have no idea in some cases what I an even missing or what has been changed.

The only change in an animation box set which has bothered me was Rocky & Bullwinkel DVD changing the opening and using that hideous watermark throughout.

But I'm still eagerly awaiting the next set...

Paul

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Something as ridiculous as Orbity on the title cards, no opening JONNY QUEST title, or a 20 second edit of Mary singing White Christmas aren't good enough reasons not to buy those sets. However, when they release a show like Underdog and it doesn't contain the other shows that aired during that show, commercial bumpers, or cliffhanger endings, well that's where I draw the line. Don't call the show UNDERDOG when we can't see the Go Go Gophers, Commander McBragg, or Tennessee Tuxedo, because this simply isn't the show I watched growing up. Don't call the Gumby DVD set GUMBY because that new 80s music they used isn't what I heard when I watched the show in the 60s and 70s. Don't call the upcoming 1967 Spiderman 1967 SPIDERMAN, because (I have read) the music has been re-mastered, so I doubt I'll recognize whatever mess they've done to it. These are examples of shows I won't buy, with the reasons I won't buy them. When Hollywood gets these shows out the proper way, give me a call...til then, I'll pass on them.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Aye I hear ya but dont start complaining and acting all shocked when stuff like Justice League, Thundercats, maybe even rest of Batman Season Sets,etc, dont happen. Its double edged sword WB I sure would love to point back at consumer.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up season 1 of the Flintstones from Costco for 45 bucks as a total impulse buy. Although I enjoyed the show as a kid, it didnt quite bring 45 bucks worth of pleasure to me watching it as an adult. If the sets were priced at 30, I might pick up the remainder of the run - but as it stands now, S1 is all I need for my Flintstones fix.

Oh well - I'll keep my eye out at the used shops I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks