What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's coming back to the Frank Theatre in Delray Beach where I saw it originally. Maybe I'll see if the fam is interested.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I believe that IMAX has a pretty set schedule so Gravity is probably getting a re-release at most IMAX theaters this coming week.

The ticket price is a little steep but I can probably twist my own arm to see it again.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
I wish some Dolby Atmos equipped movie theaters would give Gravity another run. That movie's Atmos mix, so far, is the best example of what can be accomplished with Atmos. Really amazing. I hope Gravity wins both sound mixing and sound editing Oscars. I'd like to see Gravity win the editing and music score Oscars. The biggest editing workload in Gravity was making a lot of long take shots appear seamless. The music score stepped up to provide more of the "drama," like signaling the terror of an arriving yet silent debris storm. The score made great use of the surround environment.

Gravity is probably going to win at least one of the major awards, Alfonso Cuarón for Best Director -he picked up the DGA award recently which makes him a strong favorite for the Best Director Oscar. The Producer's Guild gave out a tie between Gravity and 12 Years A Slave. I kind of expect 12 Years A Slave to win Best Picture since it's more of a message movie rather than escapist entertainment.

The one Atmos-equipped screen here in Oklahoma (the Cine Capri in Harkins Theaters Bricktown 16 in Oklahoma City) has been playing Ride Along for weeks, and will give that movie at least another week on the Cine Capri screen. I'd be willing to pay first run prices to see Gravity in Dolby Atmos. I have no desire to see it in IMAX digital 3D.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gravity WILL win oscars for sound, sound effects editing, visual effects and Director. Good chance for editing, cinematography and music. Best Picture will be tough. Trying to find friends who haven't seen it for an excuse to see it again. Not that I need one.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I agree that Gravity will likely get some big Oscar wins. Best Picture is unlikely, but Director, Effects, Sound, etc. Oh Yeah.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Tino said:
Gravity WILL win oscars for sound, sound effects editing, visual effects and Director. Good chance for editing, cinematography and music. Best Picture will be tough.Trying to find friends who haven't seen it for an excuse to see it again. Not that I need one.
Cinescott said:
I agree that Gravity will likely get some big Oscar wins. Best Picture is unlikely, but Director, Effects, Sound, etc. Oh Yeah.
What about Best actress? Who are the contenders? Sorry, haven't kept myself up to date on this, just thought Sandra Bullock owned that movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mikael Soderholm said:
What about Best actress? Who are the contenders? Sorry, haven't kept myself up to date on this, just thought Sandra Bullock owned that movie.
Bullock is nominated but has very little chance. Heavy favorite is Cate Blanchette. And she will win for Blue Jasmine.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw it for the second time at home, the first time was in a big theater 3d. You definitely have to watch it in a theater. Not the same impact. The perfect example why theaters still exist, need to exist.

It was a whole other movie seeing for the first time in a theater. I suspect people who didn't enjoy it that much, watched it at home.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way I loved the movie and gave it 10/10 but I hated the dream scene. Broke the atmosphere, the solitude. I'm not against a dream scene, I had a problem with the execution. Too real, too much looked like the rest of the film.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think that was intentional, to make the viewer unsure of whether it really was a dream sequence, at least for a minute.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
I think that was intentional, to make the viewer unsure of whether it really was a dream sequence, at least for a minute.
Yes I know and the movie would have been better without it. The movie is based on hard reality. You never see anything like that in reality. When you see a clear image like that as a viewer, it lessens the impact, you say "oh its not that bad, anything can happen".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When you're having a dream or hallucinating, you don't know it. It is wholly realistic from the inside, and so it's reasonable to depict it as realistic to the audience, especially if you don't want to overtly signal it as such.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The image stays in our mind, the spectator. Even if it is not real, we have seen the image. We have seen a clear image in that environment of George Clooney coming back. The image is no different than other real things in the movie to us. When you're having a dream or hallucinating, later you never have a clear image of it in your mind. It's not real to you anymore. Anyway I'm not going to continue, this is all I can say about this.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, there should have been smoke and stuff with harp string music playing during her hallucination. That way the audience would have known it was a hallucination from the start and would not been confused thinking it was real, like the protagonist. As an audience member, it's always better to feel superior to the protagonist and understand what they don't. You never want to experience a movie through the eyes of the characters.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sean Bryan said:
Yes, there should have been smoke and stuff with harp string music playing during her hallucination. That way the audience would have known it was a hallucination from the start and would not been confused thinking it was real, like the protagonist. As an audience member, it's always better to feel superior to the protagonist and understand what they don't. You never want to experience a movie through the eyes of the characters.
You don't understand what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks