What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As much as I like Gravity, I don't trust the Academy members to actually do their jobs and watch what they need to watch. Therefore, American Hustle gets the edge in my mind even though Gravity is a much better film IMHO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
As much as I like Gravity, I don't trust the Academy members to actually do their jobs and watch what they need to watch. Therefore, American Hustle gets the edge in my mind even though Gravity is a much better film IMHO.
I enjoyed American Hustle quite a bit but is it really favored to win Best Picture? I know it has Jennifer "America's new favorite sassy best friend" Lawrence in it but I figured 12 Years A Slave was the favorite.

If I were an Academy voter, I'd absolutely be giving my vote to The Wolf Of Wall Street over anything released this year. Gravity would probably be my second choice though or maybe I'd waste my vote on a write-in for Inside Llewyn Davis.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I personally loved Gravity. My favorite movie of 2013, hands down.
Day 0 3DBlu purchase. Already have a pre-order going on it.

My predictions for Academy Award picks in its categories:

Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography

And I'm hoping it can get
Best Original Score
Best Director

That last one will be a fight with 12 Years a Slave.
My instincts say that the Academy will reward 12 Years a Slave with Adapted Screenplay, Director and Best Picture, but I could be off on those.

I would like to see Gravity get Best Director along the same lines that Ang Lee got his award last year for Life of Pi. But that was a special situation where Ben Affleck, the frontrunner, was not even nominated by the Academy. Had Affleck been nominated, he would have gotten that award. This time, with Steve McQueen nominated and in line, I think it may play out more on traditional lines.

American Hustle has a chance to win some things - it's most likely candidates are Best Costumes and for Jennifer Lawrence. It will likely also pick up a screenplay award to compensate for not giving Russell anything more. If it picks up anything else, I would think that due to other movies splitting the vote. Which is how Christoph Waltz got his 2nd Oscar last year - Robert DeNiro and Tommy Lee Jones clearly split the votes wide enough for Waltz to get the second statue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
TravisR said:
I enjoyed American Hustle quite a bit but is it really favored to win Best Picture? I know it has Jennifer "America's new favorite sassy best friend" Lawrence in it but I figured 12 Years A Slave was the favorite.

If I were an Academy voter, I'd absolutely be giving my vote to The Wolf Of Wall Street over anything released this year. Gravity would probably be my second choice though or maybe I'd waste my vote on a write-in for Inside Llewyn Davis.
I couldn't tell you what the front runner is right now from an Academy point of view, but here's how I break it all down:

Gravity is a "science fiction" movie and they generally don't do well
12 Years a Slave is very "hard" material
Wolf of Wall Street is extreme hard R (I don't think anyone has the guts to give it Best Picture)
Dallas Buyers Club isn't deserving of the nomination
I don't see the other nominees with any traction (Her, Philomena, Captain Phillips, Nebraska)

American Hustle has nominees in every single major category (Picture, both Actor, both Actress and Director) categories. Everyone has a jones for David O. Russell the last few years and it's not nearly as difficult to watch as 12 Years a Slave. I could be wildly wrong here.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Here are the predictions I have made elsewhere regarding front-runners. And I too could be very wrong.
My thinking is that American Hustle is a great movie, and I'm delighted it got those nominations, but it will actually win very few of the awards. Too many people have reacted by thinking it overrated or have complained that there were no virtuous characters on screen. 12 Years a Slave has some difficult moments but Oscar voters love a movie that tries to say something important about a difficult subject. Wolf of Wall Street is lucky it got any nominations. The fact that they threw another Supporting Actor nom to Jonah Hill is flabbergasting to me.

Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey at 90 percent. Maybe Bruce Dern, as a Career Achievement Oscar, if the Academy swings the other way.Best Actress - Cate Blanchett.
Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto.Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Lawrence most likely. Maybe Lupita Nyong'o, if she upsets the way she did at the SAG awards.Best Director - Probably Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave, Maybe Alfonso Cuaron. David O. Russell could be an outside possibility if McQueen and Cuaron split the voters.Best Song - "Ordinary Love" from Mandela as a nod to U2, but the Frozen song might pull it out.Best Score - Gravity or 12 Years a Slave.Best Visual Effects - Gravity.
Best Production Design - American Hustle or 12 Years a Slave. Or Gatsby might pull this one out.Best Costumes - American Hustle.Best Sound Editing - Gravity.Best Sound Mixing - Gravity.Best Adapted Screenplay - 12 Years a Slave.Best Original Screenplay - American Hustle.Best Makeup - Dallas Buyers Club.Best Editing - Either 12 Years a Slave or Gravity, and whichever one gets it should give a strong indication as to who will get Best Picture. American Hustle is 15 minutes too long, Captain Phillips is too ragged, and Dallas Buyers Club is frankly too murky to get this one.Best Animated Movie - FrozenBest Picture - Probably 12 Years a Slave, particularly if Cuaron gets Best Director for Gravity. It would make sense to give the bigger award to the smaller production, particularly one with a major social statement and a strong ensemble.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I want Gravity to win best picture because 1) it is my favorite movie of the year. 2) I want David Heyman who produced all 8 Potter films that were continually snubbed by the Academy to win an Oscar. 3) It's scope demanded people to actually go to the theater in order to properly experience the movie. Too many films favored by the academy could just as well be seen on a 20" TV screen with built in speakers.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Cuaron is the heavy favorite to win the directing Oscar. The DGA award will paint a better picture. Would love a clean sweep for Gravity. Currently, some of my predictions are :Picture..12 years a Slave (Gravity my fave of course)Director..CuaronActor ..Matthew McActress..Blanchette Supporting actor..Leto Supporting actress..NyongoGravity in all the tech categories. More later in the official thread.

Interesting to see life in space but is it realistic? The storyline is totaly unbelievable and very hollywood ... Don't want to go in details for whom hasnt sen it yet Ok movie but nothing more then okDissapointing ...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I liked the film, but I thought that they hit a few off notes towards the end with Sandra Bullock's reactions. I was disappointed in the 3-D. I saw the trailer and expected it to be the best 3-D film ever. According to Wikipedia, much of the 3-D was simply standard conversion.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Kevin EK said:
I personally loved Gravity. My favorite movie of 2013, hands down.
Day 0 3DBlu purchase. Already have a pre-order going on it.

My predictions for Academy Award picks in its categories:

Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography

And I'm hoping it can get
Best Original Score
Best Director

That last one will be a fight with 12 Years a Slave.
My instincts say that the Academy will reward 12 Years a Slave with Adapted Screenplay, Director and Best Picture, but I could be off on those.
Shouldn't there be best actress in that list? Surely she carried the movie, most of the time she as the ONLY actress/actor on the screen.

You can dislike my post at any time, everyone has a right to his or her opinion i think Maybe the visuals where great but for me it wasnt enough to make me forget the storyline Maybe we should also ask real astronauts what they think of it ...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
lisette_marie said:
You can dislike my post at any time, everyone has a right to his or her opinion i think Maybe the visuals where great but for me it wasnt enough to make me forget the storyline Maybe we should also ask real astronauts what they think of it ...
What does a real astronaut have to do with it?

I don t agree , i d love to meet a hobbit by the way lolI guess lord is 100% fiction and gravity not cause space and satilites and meteors And astronautes really excist ... I wouldve appriciated it much more iff the story was believeble Its really over the top and that ennoyed me so much i guess it didnt ennoi you guys Am i really the only one that thinks about it this way ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks