What's new

Good Guys claim the XBOX plays DVD in Progressive Scan. Oops!!! (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Thats right. The Good Guys will be hearing this one for a while. Check out their add below. Only games are played in Progressive, not DVD which is 480i only.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
ahh one of the caveats of using an xbox as a dvd player. Funny too, I can get 1080i out of the "little" thing, but 480p dvd's are just too much to handle. tisk tisk microsoft

Mike

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Did you say the XBOX does not de-interlace DVD's at all (automatically goes to 480i output when playing DVD's), or did you say it de-interlaces poorly?

All DVD players initially decode the program material as interlaced, progressive players have a built in de-interlacer. With no de-interlacer the game/video device can still create and output game material as progressive, (with an HD tuner) output 1080i HDTV as-is, but output DVD material only as 480i (for NTSC).

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Romar is correct. Several hundred bucks can make the Xbox something completely different.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^ Well... ok, yeah, it can be done less for that, but...you ought to see what several hundred bucks can do! ;)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Look closely for the asterisk (*) at the end of the statement about progressive scan on the XBox:

*Additional equipment required to watch DVD movies on the XBox console.

So, technicaly, the ad is correct.

James

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I guess you are right. The additional equipment would be another DVD player.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Actually, I wouldn't put down the xbox so quickly. It can be an integral part of the HT system in regards to Media. It can play any type of video/audio format. View pictures/slideshow, stream media from another pc or the internet, even connect to shoutcast so you can listen to internet radio from all over the world. Play any region DVD in progressive scan and you can even check the weather. Its not that hard nor expensive to get this done too.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Actually if you read the fine print below the xbox dvd kit it says "XBOX state of the art DVD playback kit turns your XBOX into a state-of-the-art progressive scan DVD player".

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
But how good is the de-interlacing that the playback kit offers? I haven't seen it so you would be relying on magazine articles or friends or the description in the instruction manual.

Actually, I would believe that an out of the box X-box (any of the more upscale models?), if it did do progressive scan of DVD's, would have an inexpensive and therefore unsophisticated de-interlacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks