What's new

Golfers, Are Iron 4, 6 & 8 and Wood 5 really necessary clubs? (1 Viewer)

Dan Galyen

Agent
Since you are a member of HTF, would you have a home theater with only two front speakers and one rear? Doubtful. So why would you want only a half of a set of golf clubs?

If taking up the game is to your liking as it sounds, invest in a full set of clubs now. If not, you could go on eBay and basically put together the set you want. There are enough individual clubs to build a set. Or continue to rent.

I am currently an 8 hdcp, but wasn't always that way. I would suggest these clubs: 3W, 5W, 6-9I, PW, SW and putter. It is how I started.

A 5W hit properly will give you the approximate distance of a 3I, so all you would be lacking is 4 & 5I. Hitting the driver comes later once you are confident with contact. Hit the 3W off the tee.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Too late, bought the thing this morning, the half-set, and played a round at the course across the street. It was a 9 Holes, a proper 9 Hole, not the Par-3s-Only Course like I went to with my mum 3 weeks ago (Nothing against those really, they are just as much fun, and considering I haven't played in 4 years, that was a good place to start.)

I scored 99, which compared with my 85 (On a Par-3-Only course) is really not bad.

I've used every single clubs so far and for now, don't miss any in-betweens... Although, I could have used a 5-Wood instead of a 3-Iron is a couple of places.

That set does not include any "Wedges" but my 9-Iron did a good job when I got stuck in sand once. But what are the wedges exactly, and what are they used for? I always assumed that they are pretty much 10-Iron, 11-Iron, 12-Iron but named differently?

But the best performer was no doubt the 1-Wood. I'm not just talking about the fact that it hits the ball farther but the fact that with this one, I made quite a few "Good, Clean shots".

And another thing, is it normal that I only really hit the ball after like 4-5 swings? Most of the times, I swing right past it, missing it, Or worst, drive it into the grass throwing some mud instead!! Does that mean I'm a bad golfer and will improve over time and eventually hit it on each and every swing, and a clean shot, none of that 20-feet duds!! Or what ruined my 2nd hole into a shameful 14-stokes today, the ball just goes between my legs and head for the trees!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That set does not include any "Wedges" but my 9-Iron did a good job when I got stuck in sand once. But what are the wedges exactly, and what are they used for? I always assumed that they are pretty much 10-Iron, 11-Iron, 12-Iron but named differently?
Wedges will have an increased loft, so in that sense they are like a 10-iron, 11-iron, etc. However, difference types of wedges also have different soles, leading edges, etc. You may hear the term bounce, which is based on these design characteristics. The differing amounts of bounce can be beneficial for hitting shots out of greenside sand traps, heavy rough, or tight lies.
As a beginner, you probably do not need to worry about all the different wedges yet. As you improve, though, you will find that you can save many strokes with your short game (i.e. shots within 100 yards of the green). Having different types of wedges can help reduce strokes around the green.
FYI, I carry three wedges -- a pitching wedge, sand wedge and 61-degree lob wedge. I use the PW for most shots around the green, but use the SW and LW in certain circumstances. I had a gap wedge in my previous set, but have not found the need for one with this set of clubs.
It sounds like a few lessons would help you correct the "whiffs" and wild shots. Golf is a difficult game to learn. It takes patience and a lot of practice.

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Was that 99 for 9 holes??? Is there some Canadian to US conversion so that's like a 66 or something? j/k

The most important thing is to have fun - it's a game afterall... But if you think you are going to stick with golf I think you should sign up for some lessons.

In the mean time get a book that teaches the fundamentals - start with your grip first - just keep a club in the living room and just pick it up and grip it properly. If you have a big mirror around practice addressing the ball. A good grip and setup is a great place to start and you can do this in your home...

Besides that you can practice putting at home too. If you have a yard you can practice chipping - the short game is very important in golf. You can also buy some plastic whiffle balls and hit those around the yard...

Good luck and happy hacking...

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
The most important thing is to have fun - it's a game afterall... But if you think you are going to stick with golf I think you should sign up for some lessons.
Yeah, I'll see maybe next year (Or later this year) No one at the course laughed at my poor performance so I guess I'm alright.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
You need to start your golf experience with (at least) one lesson with a PGA pro - seriously.
I went to play again today, with my mom this time to that same place as thursday. Got 95! So I improved a bit (Except on the 9th hole! Argh! 17 strokes on that one!) And we talked about maybe going to take a lesson together since we both need it!

She seems to be more consistent than me, but most of the times only moves the ball by 30-40 yards at a time. Although I, can hit a few nice clean (Lucky!) shot every once and a while and land on the green within 4-5 shots on a par 4 (Then blow it all on the green and ending in 10-11 strokes) but also hit some really bad 5-10 yarders. So I guess I need to know the secret for hitting the ball on the right spot.

Interesting, this thread seemed to have disappeared, I had to do a search on myself to find it.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Martin, it's a little late but I would of recomended the cheaper set. You are not good now and it would be best to save your money b/c once you get better you will probably want to get a new set anyway. BTW, I almost never use my 4 or my 6 iron(I do use my 8 quite a bit) and I only have a Driver for my Woods.
Be the ball Martin, be the ball.:)

E

Eric Kahn

I just play 18 today and got a 115, which is good for me
my most used clubs are my driver (1 wood) 3 iron and 5 iron since I still can't hit woods off the fairway.
A 160 yard shot for me is with a 5 iron and I probably still won't make the green

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I think you should stop playing immediately and try to sign up for a few lessons. What you're doing now is sealing bad habits into your muscle memory and it will be even harder to get rid of bad habits.

Mike Blais

Stunt Coordinator
Dude, take lessons, even from the local driving range. I've taken 2 lessons over the last 2 weeks and the difference in my game is huge (almost broke 100 last week, before that I was in the 115-120's).
My lessons are at a local driving range/executive size course and were 170$ cdn for 3 1 hour lessons, a playing lesson with the instructor and a green fee.
Good luck!!

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I just took my first golf lesson tonight, Man what an improvement. My instructor is a former LPGA Pro. She corrected my grip and my swing in 30 minutes. I will tell you this...She doesn't want me using anything higher than a five wood to tee off with and also to use the lower irons. The reason for this is to improve your short swing. After she told me this it makes a lot of sense. If your short swing doesn't work neither will your full swing. I am golfing tomorrow so I will see if I retained anything she ytaught me....

dan

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little late coming to this thread, but here are a few observations:

As others have said, the longer the club (Driver, 2-iron, 3-iron, etc.) The harder it is to hit. Remember Lee Trevino's quote that you should hold a 1-iron up in a lightning storm, because "even God can't hit a 1-iron".

Is there any thing special about how to hold it? I hold it with both hands, and hold it tight since I don't want the club to go flying
Your grip is one of, if not the most, important aspects of your swing. A very tight, or "death grip" is not going to get the results you want. As others have said, a lesson or two with a pro would go a long way in helping you here.

A common problem along with the "death grip" is the tendency to overswing, or to try to "kill" the ball. Once again, I'm reminded of a quote, this one from a late friend of my father's who used to coach/teach golf....."swing easy and hit hard". You may notice that when you are tired/worn out, your game actually improves, because you are no longer overswinging and trying to kill the ball.

Bottom line, a lesson or two when just starting out can teach you the most important basics, (including your grip) that will make everything easier down the road and hopefully lead to much enjoyment and success.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
If you have a big mirror around practice addressing the ball.
(Ed Norton voice): "Hellllloooooooo, ball!"

The first time I played golf, on my very first tee-off, I hit the ball hard and straight, right towards the pin. "Geez," I thought, "this game ain't so hard."

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks