What's new

Gilmore Girls?? (1 Viewer)

RossHy

Agent
Does this show have season-set DVD potential? Even though the show is in its third season, other young series are getting released. What do y'all think?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Who knows? All I can say for certain is that I'd purchase season sets. I usually watch each episode two, or sometimes three times, prior to deleting it from the Tivo. IMHO, the dialog of the show is one of the biggest factors that aids the show's re-watch potential.

- Walter.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that I've even heard rumors or whispers about this one coming to DVD. Maybe they're out there, and I just missed 'em (rumors, that is). Sorry, guys.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Since I've taped or Tivo'd every episode so far and heartily agree about the re-watch factor, I'd definitely buy season sets of GG even though I haven't taken the plunge on any other TV series yet.

Rob

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My wife got me hooked on this one, and we've been talking about how cool season sets would be since season one. I'd buy it the second it hit the shelves, espicially with commentary by the "girls" themselves!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well the show routinely beats out the out on DVD BUFFY in the ratings for the time slot. It made most critics top ten list. And the WB feels strongly enough about it to air it twice a week. So, if the DAWSON'S CREEK box does well, I'm sure the WB will look into releasing it.

I just started watching it (since it is opposite Buffy) and have to say I love it. Would love to get the DVD to catch up with the episode's I missed.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Dawson's Creek is Sony, so SMALLVILLE might actually have more of a hand in getting Gilmore Girls on DVD. I'm expecting high numbers for Smallville though, so Gilmore should hopefully follow.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Given what's getting released right now on the tv front, I'd say it's entirely possible and well worth it, though I don't think anything's been discussed. The only thing that could be problematic; music clearances.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The show premiered in 2000. X-Files and Star Trek had already demonstrated the viability of tv on DVD. They likely pre-cleared everything. Besides, like most WB shows it mainly uses the Warner catalog for music, which means clearances wouldn't be a problem.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Music clearance could indeed become an issue. Since Warner owns the home video rights, if most of the music was from their catalog, then perhaps that will help, though I don't think it is likely that they would've pre-cleared everything. X-Files paved the way for many tv dvd releases, but the dvd viability of non-genre shows like Gilmore had not been proven back in 2000 and it's doubtful they were thinking about home video releases when it debuted. Also, securing home video rights at the time of broadcast is often not done because it increases the cost of the production at the time, taking money that could be used elsewhere. Fox has been trying to put out another wb series, Roswell, for a while, but the music clearances are holding it up big-time and I fear this could cause an issue for Gilmore.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about it, is there likely to be much of a problem with music clearances? Unless they have to pay for the songs the town troubador plays, I can't really think of much use of music that would need clearances. It certainly is not a show that relies on the use of music in the way that many of the shows with clearance problems (Roswell, Miami Vice, F&G) do.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn't be a big problem. The first season reminds me of Buffy, in that it used music from bands that weren't exactly garage bands, but also not top 40 hits...

Season 2/3 were also the same. The amount of music on the show itself seemed to have picked up, but the actual choices were relatively the same.

I'm sure the music for this wouldn't be hard to clear at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks