What's new

Gallipoli remastered? (1 Viewer)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Does anyone know if the new release of Gallipoli is remastered?

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I dunno about remastered, but the transfer is terrific. The sound is a bit thin, though.

Dunno if this is on the previous release, but there's also a very extensive documentary that is wonderful. Loved the movie. Biggest down ending of all time. :frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Still gets me every time. That coupled with the music, the "Adagio for strings" piece that was also used in "Rollerball"...wow.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Wow, it's an enormous improvement. I have the old DVD and took some captures to compare the two. Haven't watched the bonus featurettes yet, but it's worth the 9.99 at Best Buy just for the improved transfer.

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post a couple of captures here in this message, if I am I'd be glad to, the difference is tremendous.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping to get the review of it up this weekend, I'm still catching up due to the reviewer switch. Anyway, yeah, it's a great transfer! Colors are incredibly vibrant and rich, sharpness is lacking a little tho'. The documentary on it is quite good also.

Pat

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, Pat!

Funny, even though I love this film, I never snagged the old copy. Back in the days when Paramount titles listed for $29.99 I couldn't get EVERY title I wanted.

The list is $14.99 I assume?

:)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Wasn't sure you got the screener Pat, since I got a copy last week. My schedule hasn't permitted me to remove the shrinkwrap, yet. I look forward to your review.

-Scott

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Oh my goodness! There is so much difference between the two...the old one looks so awful in comparison!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Man, this movie was one of the few that literally made me gasp when it ended, and we all know why. I will have to pick up this new edition ASAP.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Me, too. I was only about thirteen at the time but I remember feeling like the wind had been completely knocked out of me. Fantastic film, IMHO. And just to toss in my $.02, the new transfer is excellent.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
I'm normally a critic of Aussie films (we just don't make enough good ones), but I'm always lost for words when trying to describe my love for this movie.

The best Aussie film of all time. The Mad Max trilogy (well, maybe just the first two) are great, brilliant even, but Gallipoli is almost the perfect film.

However, I am ashamed to say that this new edition came out here in Australia ages ago, and although I picked it up almost straight away - I haven't sat and watched it yet. When the mood grabs me I certainly will though...

Patrick...M

Auditioning
Here's something strange...
The disc I bought at HMV in Toronto has the previous disc's labeling on it but contains the new content.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the heads up on this, completely missed it.

Can we get just a few details in advance, something to make this release stand out when ordering...like Patrick mentioned, seems to be some discrepancy here...want to try to get the right one. Thanks.

To me, the main diff between the old release and the new one based on the caps is they turned down the brightness. So you don't get the fuzzification of cranked brightness, the slight over-saturation of color, nor (on the down side) the little more shadow visibility (I won't say detail). So, it is possible this isn't a new transfer as such, just a new representation using the old master. Whatever, I'd rather have the detail on the disc, and I can blow it out myself if I feel like it, rather than having the detail pre-removed for me. Also, the new caps look a somewhat "cooler" color temp than the old ones. Notice also the apparent slight cropping on the right for the new one in 2 caps, yet the train scene shows a little more on the left too...so we know the cropping is different. I do like the new look much better, from the caps.

Edit: if you look at Gallipoli on amazon.com and amazon.ca you'll see what I mean by "confusion".
Edit again: I think I have my confusion cleared up now, was a cover thing but talked to somebody who has it. No mention of remastering, if they did it.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
There's no reason for confusion when you're buying it, the boxes are completely different, at least in the US. The old one just had a photo of Mel Gibson leaning against a wall. The new one has Gibson cut out of that photo, with a background photo of him and Mark Lee running in the desert, all with a brown border, with the "Special Collector's Edition" gold banner at the top, not hard to tell them apart.

I don't think I'm allowed to actually post photos from sites other than my own, but here are the links for them:

Old:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

New:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The only confusion might come when you open the box. I guess someone wanted to save money, because the info and title font printed on the disc itself are absolutely identical to the old disc, including the copyright date of 1999.

When I saw that, I was afraid they accidentally stuck old discs in new boxes. Don't worry, however, it's just a misprint on the disc, it's the new one, with the better transfer and hour-plus doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks