What's new

G.I.Joe Season One on 10/28? (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
[q]They also report that the opening sequence for all episodes on this set is from Season 2, except for the "Pyramid of Darkness" miniseries. Don't know why Rhino needed to change this. [/q

I hope they're wrong. We shall see but this isn't good. Though I am frothing at the mouth waiting for this:)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
QKTheatre has more details up about the set, inlcuding images from the booklet and the animation cel. As much as I'm looking forward to this set, I'm a little disappointed at the care that was taken in putting in together.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Yup, To have misspellings in the liner notes is really bad.
To use the logo from the second season is bad(on the insert) as well though makes sense since its more flashy than the flat logo. I would assume there were source problems with the Season one intro. But why couldnt they make a new one with old footage. Coincidentally on Boomerang, all first season episodes that are shown have no intro whatsoever, just the cartoon. Also 2 episodes on the TF Season 3 part one dvd are missing their respective intros; bizarre. Its great that Part two is coming in April along with Transformers S3 part2. I will post an A/V review if noone on the forum does so before me if anyone is on the fence about buying.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Despite the fact that it's disappointing to hear of these careless mistakes, I'm glad enough that the correct intro can be seen with at least one episode.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Actually 5 have their original titles. The 5 part miniseries to Season one.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Timmy or anyone else: Regarding the set currently available from Rhino, which contains 2 separate mini-series -- Is one of the mini-series in that set the same 5-part series that is included in the season one, part one boxset?

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
The 2 Miniseries' (1983/1984 which are "pilots" or tests for starting the series)DVD that is out now will be seperate from the Season box sets and is not the miniseries that kicks off Season one (1985). So No to your question.

Greg K

Second Unit
Rhino's Transformers sets have been a disaster. They used 35 mm film masters instead of the 1" broadcast masters (what originally aired), and although the colors/detail are crisp, there are many errors and unfinished/backwards animation that was not a problem originally. Rhino tried to "fix" some of these problems, and did a sucky job.

Further, the 5.1 tracks have a bunch of crappy new sound effects added by Rhino (laser blasts, explosions, etc.) that are extremely annoying. Worse, some episodes in season 1 and season 2 part 1 (and *EVERY*episode of season 2 part 2) have the new sounds on the 2.0 track as well, with no option to hear the original, unaltered sound. Rhino seems to have finally taken the hint, and Transformers season 3 part 1 has an "original broadcast audio" option. Too little, too late. The fans have paid the price for Rhino's learning curve.

The GI JOE: the original miniseries set would be fine, *except* that the crappy new sounds are on both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, which enrages me. Any news on the sound for GI JOE season 1 part 1?

The sheer incompetence and lack of respect Rhino has regarding these series never ceases to amaze me. Yet, I've heard many fans say "who cares, as long as we have the series on DVD?", which is sad. The fans deserve better.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans

The original audio is included in this release. Am I the only one who doesnt care about the mono soundtracks? I doubt it:) I grew up watching these on a mono TV why would I want to go back to that technology when I can immerse myself in 5.1 and be wowed back into my childhood.;) You make a great point though and that with these mistakes Rhino seems to be going backwards from where they finally got the point now with including the audio.

Greg K

Second Unit
It's good to hear the original audio is included.

Any signs of alternate/incomplete animation (which wasn't there in the broadcast versions)?

The only real complaint I've heard is that the season 2 title sequence is mistakenly included on most episodes. a minor annoyance, but not fatal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks