What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (2 Viewers)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
stevelecher said:
Wow! You did a little binge watching. Here's how these stack up, IMO, from my earlier post:
When I get to watch, which is generally the weekend, I try to do one disc at a time. So, I will probably get to the next disc this coming Saturday/Sunday. Knowing I am coming to the end of the b/w episodes is rather disheartening. I am also not very familiar with the color episodes except "Judgment Parts 1 & 2". I'm sure my wife will watch these more readily.

I am still enjoying this complete set, just wish that the show had stayed consistent till the end.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for putting up with my thoughts on these episodes and offering feedback. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to experience this series in this pristine, uncut form.

I'll be back this weekend for more.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
stevelecher said:
Running Scared = The episode I called the last great one. I love the family/Donna aspect of it; the cat and mouse; the final escape, and even the epilogue with Donna taunting Gerard. This one's a favorite.
Okay, I forgot this one came after Wife Killer. Agreed, this one is truly great, the last one to reach such heights.

Although, the attorney should be Lester Rand, he says tongue in picky cheek.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
ScottRE said:
Okay, I forgot this one came after Wife Killer. Agreed, this one is truly great, the last one to reach such heights.

Although, the attorney should be Lester Rand, he says tongue in picky cheek.
Ha Ha, good catch on the attorney. That's just like me thinking it would have been cool if Chandler, from The Judgment, couldn't have been Ross Carter, from The Girl From Little Egypt. Richard mentioning Carter to Helen, in that flashback, precipitated the fight that made him leave the house to cool off, as you'll recall.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tonight's episode:

Ill Wind

John McIntire, Jeanette Nolan, Tim McIntire, Lonny Chapman, Bonnie Beecher

Finally, I actually have memories of this episode from my youth. I remember Kimble and Gerard locked/trapped in a barn with a storm coming. It made a strong impression on my 8 and one-half year old mind. Hope it still impresses today. I credit this memory with creating the desire to view this series. I had almost placed this as a false memory, glad to see I did not make this one up.

For those memories, I really enjoyed this one. Storywise, this is a well acted, well written story. Enjoyable all around. This is another great guest cast. So amazing that QM was able to always get top notch actors as guests. Great story, nicely developed characters.

Always interesting dynamic between Kimble and Gerard. Gerard allows Kimble to help the child knowing that Kimble will do the right thing. Gerard "knows" what Kimble will do but still remains resolute. I'm not so sure I could be that single-minded. A really good story.

"The storm has come and gone. But few of those who sought shelter together that night will forget it. And Richard Kimble, the next hill in his eye, will find occasions to look back and remember. A Fugitive has time for that."

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tonight's Episode:

With Strings Attached

Carol Rossen, Donald Pleasance, Rex Thompson, Bill Quinn

Getting in another one before I retire for the evening. Always enjoy seeing Donald Pleasance in most anything. What a dysfunctional family. I assume that Geoffrey has a mental issue and is the one doing the damage. Average episode carried by the skill and talent of the actors involved. Not as good as the last one, but entertaining nonetheless.

Is it just me or does Jeff Dunham's "Walter" look like Bill Quinn???

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Doug Wallen said:
Tonight's episode:

Ill Wind

I remember Kimble and Gerard locked/trapped in a barn with a storm coming.

Great episode. Someone, probably assistant director Bob Rubin, was saying that they used large wind machines and bags & bags & bags of Fullers Earth to simulate the blowing dust.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
rjd0309 said:
Great episode. Someone, probably assistant director Bob Rubin, was saying that they used large wind machines and bags & bags & bags of Fullers Earth to simulate the blowing dust.
The special effects team did a great job on this episode. Was Gerard ever more pathetic as he called out to Kimble?

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Doug Wallen said:
Tonight's Episode:
With Strings Attached

Carol Rossen, Donald Pleasance, Rex Thompson, Bill Quinn

Is it just me or does Jeff Dunham's "Walter" look like Bill Quinn???
Bill Quinn played the cop in this episode, correct? Not sure what you're saying here. Would you say this is a " middling" episode? I would, though I agree with you about Donald Pleasance.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
stevelecher said:
Would you say this is a " middling" episode? I would, though I agree with you about Donald Pleasance.
Middling, yes. Not bad but not a really great one.

Walter is a ventriloquist's dummy. He is operated by Jeff Dunham.

Walter.jpg

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tonight's Episode:

White Knight

Steven Hill (Mission:Impossible/Law&Order), Jessica Walter, James Callahan, Ted Knight, Nancy Wickwire, Robert DoQui

Another stellar cast. An interesting story. Seems that these last few episodes are at least average to better than. Steven Hill seems to be rather unscrupulous in his dealings with everyone; wife, lover and campaign manager. Jessica Walter looks exceptionally nice in this one.

Interesting that Steven Hill is a real manipulative so and so in this ep. I really like this one.

In the story books, when you save a man's life, you are richly rewarded. For a Fugitive, it doesn't always work that way. And sometimes, when you are chased by the Furies, the life you must save is your own.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Doug Wallen said:
Middling, yes. Not bad but not a really great one.

Walter is a ventriloquist's dummy. He is operated by Jeff Dunham.

attachicon.gif
Walter.jpg
Thanks. Yes, Walter does look like Bill Quinn. Haha.

Two acceptable, but middling episodes in the middle of this disc. Look forward to your take on "The 2130."

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tonight's Episode:

The 2130

Melvyn Douglas, Susan Albert, Barry Morse, Don Mitchell (Ironside)

Very interesting story. Another Gerard episode with Gerard being used as familiar background. A modern use of the predictive ability of a computer. I remember taking my first computer language course typing info on keypunch cards and feeding them through a card reader circa 1977. This was even before Mannix worked for the insurance agency. I liked how this episode was more "episodic" in reference to Kimble's wanderings. I wonder how long Gerard stayed with Dr. Ryder? Seems like he was there for several "weeks"?

Good story, "98% probability that Kimble did not commit murder."

Gerard, "The other 2% is good enough for me."

What a great episode. Excellent through and through.

I am continually amazed by the quality of guest stars that QM was able to employ. Even if the story is average, the guest performances are all top notch. Always interesting to see who will show up, makes my mind search for where I have seen them.

If you are Richard Kimble, Fugitive, your already complicated life has become more so. You can no longer rely upon your instinct because, for all you know, your pursuers may be machines and you are merely a human being.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Sounds like you would classify The 2130 as a great episode and not just a very good one. I don't disagree as I truly love this episode too. It is fabulous, IMO. Through the years though, I have found that numerous Fuge fans rate this entertaining episode less favorably than I, so I refrained from calling it excellent and included it in the "five very good" episodes left.

This episode includes all the elements present in great Fugitive episodes. My daughter, who acknowledges the quality of the show, without wanting to watch all of them, has seen this one and still asks me on occasion if Kimble is still at the cranberry bog.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Doug Wallen said:
I am continually amazed by the quality of guest stars that QM was able to employ. Even if the story is average, the guest performances are all top notch. Always interesting to see who will show up, makes my mind search for where I have seen them.
In Ed Robertson's "Fugitive Recaptured" book, IIRC, he reported that QM's pay for guest stars was about the best in the business at the time, $1500 more an episode, or some such number. That, along with their reputation for professionalism and on set satisfaction, made it fairly easy for them to get the good guest stars.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I am starting the 4th disc of Season 3 Part 2. I am beginning this on Saturday evening while the forum is down. I will finally post these observations when i can get back to the site.

Tonights Episode:
A Taste of Tomorrow
Dennis Weaver, Michael Constantine, Brenda Scott, Dabbs Greer (again)

An interesting juxtaposition on the recurring theme. Fritz Weaver recounting what it is like to run for a crime he didn't commit was a great change of pace. Really enjoyed hearing someone else speak what is probably going through Kimble's head. I found this episode very entertaining. Once again, the guest cast is exceptional.
It just seems like altruism should be Kimble's undoing. He must have an abundance of rabbit's feet that he can easily access.
This episode is like so many others, the locations really sell the story
For some, an end finally comes to the running. But for Richard Kimble, the end has only come to one more day - and the running must go on.

Tonight's Episode:
In A Plain Paper Wrapper

Lois Nettleton, Michael Strong, Kurt Russell, Arthur Malet, Bing Russell

Gun control advocates should be pleased with this one. Nice cast and always nice to see Kurt's dad anytime he shows up. I would consider this one slightly above average, nothing to write home about.

Love needs time to grow. Yesterday a need that found hope in a look, a word, a touching of hands is today denied by flight. A flight from guns. Today's guns are already miles behind, but the need remains.

Tonight's Episode:
Coralee

Murray Hamilton, Antoinette Bower, Patricia Smith, Joe Maross, James Frawley, Dabney Coleman

Really like Murray Hamilton (Jaws, Anatomy of a Murder) amid a cast of familiar faces. Really a story about a "jinx". I realize fisherman are supposed to be superstitious, but this one just tries my patience. Seems to be a rather pedestrian story and a bad way to end the season.

The highway north carries a Fugitive to freedom, a freedom shadowed by his own special jinx. He cannot look back now, he can only look ahead to the day when that jinx will ultimately be broken.

Well, I'll soon be starting the fourth and final season. I am not sure what I will be in for or whether I'll even like it. I guess I will find out in a week or so. I hope to find some good eps. in the upcoming 4th season. I'll comment more later.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
In A Plain Paper Wrapper - at best an average, middling episode. Always nice to see Lois Nettleton.

Cora Lee - dud. One of the weakest episodes. The only B&W episode I can think of that's worse is Devil's Carnival. At least there's no obnoxious woman crying, "Tad...Tad" in this one.

A Taste Of Tomorrow - a better, but still middling episode. You described it well. One thing I've always been amused by: Fritz Weaver's character describes the bank president's son, Charlie, as a handsome, tennis playing, playboy type of guy and then we meet... Dabs Greer. Not what I pictured. Hah! One other thing, the unusual coat Kimble wears here looks like the same one Jonesie wore in Ill Wind.

Well, on to the color episodes. I was a bit harsh when I said there were perhaps 7 - 10 middling episodes here. There are several pretty good episodes in addition to those 7 - 10 middlers. Enjoy!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
In Ill Wind, when Gerard is looking at a picture of Kimble in a truck with other workers, it appears to be the truck he rode in near the end of The 2130, in the scene where Kimble is going to work with flood control, in that scene with Don Mitchell. Also, the barn at the walnut grove in The 2130, where the two kids tell the sheriffs they have a picture of their friend, also looks like the barn in Ill Wind.

I posted this quite some time ago, but the exterior shots of Donna Taft's house in Running Scared is the same as that of Laurence Naismith's character's house in Not With A Whimper.

For what it's worth. :)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have noticed a lot of reused footage with the tags of various episodes like the one from the end of "The Girl From Little Egypt", Kimble on a road at night in a sport coat thumbing a ride.

I think of them as stock shots usable in almost any situation, (sorta like Enterprise flybys). I guess they did not realize that we would have pristine prints to enjoy over and over 50 years later or that we would be paying close attention to every scene. Even so, I am glad to have this in this form so I can review each episode and learn them as well as I know some other shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.