What's new

Fix for DVDs that Skip (1 Viewer)

jackw

Auditioning
No offense to Netflix... cuz they offer an amazing service... but about 1/2 the DVDs I get can't be played. Some of them just skip and stop, others actually shutdown the machine altogether.... yikes... The machine is a moderately priced Toshiba... new DVDs work Great... it just seems to be the rentals. Has anyone found a product that will quickly (cheaply) fix DVDs that skip, so I don't have to disappoint the kids by waiting another week for their movies to get replaced by netflix?
Thanks in advance.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

Are the DVDs free of fingerprints? If not, you could initially try cleaning off the prints and smudges to see if the issue improves. If not, there are some devices to work out some of the scratches, which might improve your situation.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm moving this thread to the Software forum, where DVDs are discussed. Also, I've edited the title, since the question isn't really about Netflix (and if it were, that would belong in the Retail and Wholesale Vendors' Feedback forum).

M.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Most of the DVD's I get from Netflix look like they've been through hell and back, but usually I just wipe them off with a scratch-free DVD cloth and I have yet to have a problem playing one. Maybe certain players have a harder time with blemished discs.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
If youve tried simple water to get fingerprints and dust off the disc and it still skips, you can use car wax or an automotive swirl reducer.

Ive used Meguiar's Paint cleaner and Carnuba Wax on some scratched CDs and DVDs and it worked well. Just apply it like you would on your car and buff it with a clean cotton terry cloth. It wont remove really deep scratches, but surface scratches will come out.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I can't personally vouch for this, but a good friend insists that using a little peanut butter on the disc will help.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I would NOT use peanut butter. What happens if that oily stuff gets onto the laser assembly? DEAD DVD player. Bad bad idea...unless you mean to use it like a polish?

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Right, like a polish. That's what he said anyway.

I wouldn't try it myself, just passing along what I heard.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
There's product called 'The Game Doctor' for around $30.

It looks like fishing reel with a flat plater for the disc.

You place the gizo under running water and rotate the 'reel'.

It grinds off the top layer of the disc's coating and removes scratches in the process that might be deflecting the laser.

I don't have one, since I return any used disc that doesn't play and don't rent.

I do have scratched discs that play fine, but I would be scared to 'doctor' them for purely cosmetic reasons.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I have about 300 DVDs. A few times I have had skips, pixelating, stoppages, ect. Almost without exception by spraying some Windex on a rag and cleaning the disc has fixed the problem. The exception was the Holmes film TERROR BY NIGHT which did little freezes throughout. I wiped it, but it still had problems and this was with my moderate priced old Sony. I put it in my $49.00 Toshiba and it works fine. My guess is all discs have flaws and some players have a more refined or better error correction. Of course, badly scuffed discs probably are beyond hope.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
A lot has to do with what hardware you're using. When I had a Toshiba DVD player (an old SD-2109) I was forever polishing and attempting to fix scratched discs that wouldn't play. Since I moved to a Malata and a Sony I haven't had any disc read errors on rentals.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

If you're a netflix subscriber, please do NOT start using these devices on the discs you rent!!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Although no one has commented on my suggestion, swirl reducer and car wax has without a doubt been the most consistently effective method for me at restoring damaged discs. It wont work miracles, but certainly does a better job than peanut butter or Windex.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I come from the PerryD school. Usually a blow and rub will solve any problem.

Did I actually just say that?:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks