What's new

Five monoblocks, or a 5-channel amp? Same price. (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Is the class switching (A/B to G) a bad thing?
According to audio purists, yes. Class A/B require robust powersupplies which are the most expensive parts of an amp. Also Class A/B are more straightforward amplification schemes compared to some others like Class D, G, and H which dont require as robust of a powersupply as they rely on either switching power supplies or do some kind of rail switching on their output stages, both of which create switching noise and some ultrasonic noise. Weather these different schemes can sound really different or same has to be seen in a true DBT test, but so does everything audio related (except of course speakers):).

All I am saying is that might explain why they cost the same.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
In fact in some instances the multichannel option would be better performancewise as all the channels draw power from the common powersupply and in HT its only one or two channels that get taxed at a given time, they will have more reserve power to meet the transient demands of HT rather than the monoblock solution where the power to each channel is limited by its own PS
That would be true 10 years ago with DPL,current digital soundtracks puts a heavy demand on all channels,and yes it could happen at the same time,even for a second or so it could create clipping from the amp.
Also on any amp test figures I've seen if 1 channel was tested only at the time it's max output was above it's rated output but maybe by 30% or so,never 2-3-4 times that like you imply it above.
So in essence the 755 won't outperform the 200m when 1 channel is being driven only.
Having said this the 755 would be just fine in many HT's only those with 5 full range speakers which have a tough impedance curve to drive it,might have some issues,maybe.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps you should just bank the money until you buy the house to see just what room you have for either scenario and for that matter if you've sufficient outlets. Personally I think there's much to be said for the monoblock approach. Ain't no fun if your 5 channel amp has a flaky amp. OTOH you could always go 3 channel amp and a pair of monoblocks. Decisions decisions.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Lewis makes a good point; something I didn't consider:

My surround speaker won't be full-range. In fact, they'll be crossed over at 80 or 100Hz...probably 80Hz. Taking the lower bass away from them greatly reduces how much power they'll need.

In any case, I'm not in a rush; this is all early, preliminary, fact-finding type stuff. :)

Heck, I've not even made the jump to 7.1 yet. May do that first with just a good 7.1 receiver. Time will tell. Thanks very much everyone, for sharing. :)

Ken Wilson

Agent
So far, everybody has missed a very important point regarding the advantages and reasons for having monoblocs.
There is the potential to have a monobloc very close to each speaker, with a long interconnect going to each, and very short speaker cables to each speaker.
Long lengths of shielded interconnect are not subject to RF interference and "skin effect (smeared highs) like (mostly unshielded) speaker cables are. Most people are running long (cheap) speaker cables that are compromising their system's performance drastically. It might be less convenient to have amps placed separately, but it's worth it for better performance.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi, class H does require a large power supply. I have a 250/side at 8 ohms and my old carcass hurts for a few hours every time I have to move that damn thing.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ken, thanks for unearthing my cool thread. :D

That's an interesting point...didn't think of that. Logistically though, I don't see how you could have "an amp at each speaker" or even reasonably close to it.

What about the surrounds? How would you mount an amp with them?

I've never noticed any ill-effects from longish (under 20 feet) speaker wire runs...but then again, I don't purport to be a real audiophille with golden ears. ;) I use the 12 gauge OFC wire from P.E. Good stuff for the price.

OK, back on topic. I just bought a Denon 3803; should do fine with my all-Axiom setup. (M22/VP150/QS8) The VP150 and QS8s are 6 ohms...the Denon may get kinda warm when it's cranked up, which will be all the time while watching movies. :emoji_thumbsup: We'll see what happens. May wind up getting three monos for the front three to lessen the load...time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks