What's new

Fantasy Football (Non HTF leagues) (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Just pulled the trigger on this trade, tell me what you think...

I got Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan, Jerry Rice and the New England defense for...

Shaun Alexander, Thomas Jones and Carolina defense.

I have Deuce McAllister and Michael Pittman as my other backs. I have Mason, Boston, Finneran and Quincy Morgan as my other wideouts.

If Martin rebounds, I think this is a good deal for me as my defenses (Carolina, Atlanta) are either playing over their heads or are plain mediocre.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Evan,

Personally, I do not like that trade. Curtis Martin is injured, has quite a few years on him to where RB's start to slow down, and the Jets stink. Alexander is a young stud (yes, he is on a bad team). If Martin is hurt, would you really start LaMont Jordan on your team? I have Jordan only because Martin's owner will not make any trades. However, I doubt I will play Jordan if Martin is out, but I am keeping him off a competing team's roster, where he would actually play.

Andrew,

I like the McAlister for Garner/Conway deal. While Charlie Garner is a decent RB (especially in yardage leagues), McAlister is a stud. If you can get a stud without giving one up, it's usually a good deal.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, valid points all. We will agree to disagree.

The Jets realize they have to run the ball to win. They are not a terrible team. They are bad RIGHT NOW, but will turn things around. They have a good line and Martin rushed for 1500yds last year. I think the ankle will heal and he'll get back on track.

I watched the Seahawks game this weekend and it's clear that nobody fears the pass with that team and Alexander is running timidly. Not only that, but in a game they were winning the whole time, they only gave him the ball 14 times (for a 2.6yd per carry average).

Jones never made my starting lineup, but Rice may from time to time...and I would absolutely feel comfortable starting Jordan if Martin was hurt. Jordan is the best backup in the league I think. I can name a number of teams for which he would be the starting back right now (Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Philly, and Houston to name a few). Again, these are just my opinions and we will see how the season plays itself out.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Valid points, Evan. I considered drafting Martin before the season started with my #1 pick (ninth overall), but avoided him because I was concerned about age catching up with him, which means injuries. I had Alexander last year, and he really carried my team, so I have a bias there, too. Rice is still a solid start most weeks (he's in my lineup this week). I never liked Thomas Jones as a running back -- I had him on my roster at times the past two seasons, and he was a stiff.
Still, I would take Alexander over Martin right now. I think he has a better point potential as the season progresses. I do reserve the right to change my mind in a couple of weeks, though. :laugh:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The only "problem" I would face if I got McAllister would be deciding how to divide starts between him, Ahman Green and Edgerrin James.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here's my dilemma this week:

How do I get Clinton Portis in my lineup? Right now my five offensive starters are Eddie George, Charlie Garner, Darrell Jackson, Jerry Rice and Hines Ward. George and Garner are difficult to bench any week, while Jackson and Rice have great matchups this week. That leaves Hines Ward vs. Portis. Ward's been piling up the points on my bench the first two weeks, so I hate to make that mistake again. However, Portis figures to get most of the carries vs. a weakened Baltimore defense Monday night.

So, who should I start -- Ward or Portis?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Portis figures to get most of the carries
Don't bet on it. Shanahan is notorious for doing the exact opposite of what you expect. From all accounts, Gary's ankle will be fine for him to play on Monday and we'll see a repeat of week's one and two stats-wise for the Broncos backfield. Gary could injure it again and Portis would reap the benefits, but I think Ward is a safer play than Portis.

If you want Portis in your lineup, Ward probably has the toughest matchup, but he did great against New England and Oakland, so maybe he is matchup-proof. I'd bench Rice simply because Oakland has so many weapons.

Brad

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only problem with benching Rice is that Titan CB Andre Dyson is out, so Rice will be going up against a rookie corner. Besides, Tennessee's defense has not been very good anyway.

I may stick with the safe play and keep Hines Ward in the lineup and Portis on the bench.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Here's a tough one:

Do I start a less than 100% David Boston against the Giants or Donte Stallworth against the Lions?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Do I start a less than 100% David Boston against the Giants or Donte Stallworth against the Lions
Just a guess, but IMO...Boston all the way. Yeah, the Lions suck...but I think you are going to get the Deuce McAllister show this weekend as they will play ball control. Even if they go to the air, they won't be passing as much when they are up 20-0 at the half. Stallworth has been good, but sharing time with Pathon and Horn, you might get a TD, but I don't think Brooks throws for more than 250 this week.

On the other hand, Boston has always done well against the G-Men and I expect them to be behind, forcing them to throw. According to reports, Boston practiced both Thursday and Friday and is improved over his status of last week.

Again, just a hunch, but I would go with Boston. You probably had to use a pick within the first three rounds to get him, doesn't make me comfortable to bench a stud.

I'm playing Boston in one of my leagues, when my other options are Rice vs. Tenn, Mason vs. Oak, Morgan vs. Pittsburgh and Thrash vs. Houston.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Man this really bites. Edgerin James has a bye this week, and I have one next week, so I won't get to use him for another two weeks, when he'll be playing against the Ravens, putting me in the awkward and guilt-causing position of having a fantasy stud up against your real-life team.:frowning: Making matters worse, McNabb and Boston both have byes that week.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm having a hard time deciding who to start as my 2nd RB in 2 of my leagues. In both leagues I have Eddie George and Clinton Portis. The Titans go against a tough defense in the Raiders and Portis goes against a weak defense on Monday night against Baltimore. Right now I'm leaning towards Portis because I don't think that Eddie's gonna do much. What bothers me is that Portis only got the carries last week because Gary got hurt and Gary's back this week. Should I go with Portis or take the safe (and possibly less profitable) route and go with George? Right now I'm leaning towards Portis.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tim,

I have both George and Portis on my roster, and I'm starting George (along with Charlie Garner, Jerry Rice, Darrell Jackson and Hines Ward). With George, you know he will get all the carries, while Denver has three running backs getting carries. I considered Portis over Ward, but I think I'm going to stick with the Steeler receiver.

Andrew,

I would go with Stallworth over Boston. The Lions are in even worse shape this week, with several defensive players out with injuries. Boston faces a Giants defense that has shutdown some decent receivers already, and Boston is not 100%.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh cool, I'm gonna love this thread. :)
I'm a huge FF junkie and I'll gladly pop in to offer any lineup advice should anyone need it.
Right now I'm debating between Deion Branch and Hines Ward for today's game...
Damn these bye weeks! :angry:
Hope everyone has a wonderful Football day and of course:
Go Eagles!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott, I'd go with Deion. At least he has a good QB throwing to him, and Troy is doubtful, which should add to his looks.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Scott, what took you so long? It looks like, in addition to be last year's FFL winner, I'm going to be coming away with the fantasy baseball crown this year as well. That means I've won two out of the three fantasy leagues my friends and I have ever participated in.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Right now I'm debating between Deion Branch and Hines Ward for today's game...
If you're in a yardage + TD's league, go with Ward. Our league also gives points for receptions, so Ward is tough to bench in my case (he's in my lineup today). While Kordell Stewart is not a good QB, he still throws a lot to Ward. Deion Branch is playing against a tough San Diego defense.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, what league are we talking about here? I think my team is presently leading the HTF Fight Club over on Yahoo.

In one of my private leagues, unless both Roy Halladay and Mike Mussina get absolutely murdered (like to the tune of 14 earned runs in 6 or fewer innings), I will successfully defend my title in that league. How many of you can say you won back to back titles in ANY league??? I've been playing fantasy football for 9 years now and have only won ONE title, let alone two in a row.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Branch over Ward? Are you nuts. Branch is good but Ward is the #1 guy in Pittsburgh and Cleveland's pass D is not that good.

My dilema is between Rice and Driver. Now that Glenn and Walker are out, I am leaning toward Rice, just because Driver is really going to be covered now.

Oh, I completed a trade for Bledsoe. I gave up "Fragile" Fred Taylor for Bledsoe.

My starting line-up now looks like this

QB: Drew Bledsoe (Warner back-up)
RB: Thomas/George (Portis/Dunn/Wells back-up) plus I am going to pick up Lamar Smith
WR: Holt/Ward/Stallworth/Rice (Driver/Franks/Morton/Bates back-up)

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks