What's new

Ever stopped watching a good show because you couldn't stand ONE character? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Dina Meyer - Funny, I couldn't stand her character in 90210 either. the actress has grown on me since tho, I think she was actually hot in Starship Troopers :D.

--
H

EricW

Senior HTF Member
ER: after Greene dies, the show wasn't that good for me, but the one thing that broke the straw (after watching the show since the first season) was that old male admin guy who was racist and stubborn, and stupid. i can take a character that's racist, but not one that ignorantly so.

Everyboy Loves Raymond: the Chris Elliot character. couldn't watcht hat show for a while because of him.

Alias 2nd season: the CIA director that is played by the guy who plays Locke on Lost right now. talk about a cliche.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Very interesting topic. I've grown to hate pretty much everyone on Desperate Housewives which is why I stopped watching it, but if I had to single one out it would be without a doubt Nicolette Sheridan's charactor. I've always hated these television sex-bomb bitches, Heather Locklier is also in this group along with Kim Catrall in Sex in the City.

I realize that i'm SUPPOSED to hate a charactor sometimes, but I have a problem, when I hate a charactor, I REALLY hate the charactor, and it acts as a repellant against the show for me and I eventually lose all interest. Too bad about 'DH' too, I would give up at least two of my fingers for some quality time alone with Eva Longoria!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I also stopped watching Married with Children, mainly because of Ed O'Niell. His whole Al shtick just got old to me, and I could never for the life of me figure out why it was such a chore for him to bang Peggy, she had a slammin hot body, in the earlier and middle season episodes anyway. David Faustino's Bud Bundy was really pushing it also with his whole Grand Master B act.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've never stopped watching a show because I couldn't stand one character. I understand that not all characters are supposed to be likeable.

Yeah, Mr. Ten Thirteen rocks.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "The Grief Whisperer" himself, CSI Miami's Horatio Caine (David Caruso). The guy talks like a Shatner stereotype on heroin, and his righteousness is absolutely despicable. I can't even watch to pick on the show.

Well, at least he seemed aware of how self-absorbed he's been this season. It was the writers' little meta-comment on the season responding from criticism like ours, but maybe that means they'll turn Seth likable again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I agree, I have been on other 24 board and there are so many "I hate Keeler" threads. I think it's people equating him to Bush just because he's the republican president (even though I don't ever remember the show ever explicitly stating that he was a republican) The thing is that Keeler was never a major part of the Season 4 storyline the way Palmer was for the first 3 seasons. So his character was never really developed as Palmer's was. But anyway, I think that it is clear that "24" is a bit more sympathetic to the right than many other shows. It was said in one of the season 2 commentaries that they have a good deal of right leaning writers on the show and Joel Surnow is a self described "Right Wing Wacko" (Entertainment Weekly).

As for ER, don't get me started. Once Anthony Edwards left, I do not believe the show has ever truly recovered. Since then, the characters have not even been close to being as compelling. The only truly interesting character they had left, Romano, gets a helicopter dropped on him just as he was beginning to come to terms with losing his arm and not being able to be a surgeon any longer. After that, I just don't find anyone left to care for. I never cared much for Abby and the constant storylines about her crazy family didn't help. They turned Carter into another tortured soul. I still kind of watch it. It's now usually on it the background while I am doing something else and I will sporadically glance over at it. It's sad, because I am currently watching the 3rd season boxed set and it used to be such a compelling show.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I think we could all agree about the pinnacle of show destruction is the arrival of Scrappy Doo - although you could easily argue the that the show wasn't that good even before he arrived. Even The Great Gazoo wasn't as show destructive as that stupid puppy.

I couldn't stand Buzz Belmondo on Out of this World, although I don't expect anyone here to remember him.

I don't know how anyone ever tuned in for a show with Urkel on it.

Who's the Boss? would have sucked even without him, buy Danny Pintauro was awful. I could never stand Judith Light in anything either.

And here's an example where I don't especially hate any of the characters or actors on their own, but only in comparison to who they replaced. Homicide: Life on the Street started with Felton (Daniel Baldwin), Bolander (Ned Beatty), Munch (Richard Belzer), Pembleton (Andre Braugher), Lewis (Clark Johnson), Howard (Melissa Leo), Crosetti (Jon Polito), Bayliss (Kyle Secor), and Giardello (Yaphet Kotto). For my money that's about as fine of a TV show cast as you're ever going to see. The show ended with Lewis, Bayliss, Munch, and Giardello, but we were also subjected to Kellerman (Reed Diamond), Cox (Michelle Forbes), Mike Giardello (Giancarlo Esposito), Gharty (Peter Gerety), Stivers (Toni Lewis), Sheppard (Michael Michele), Falsone (Jon Seda), and Ballard (Callie Thorne). I never would have watched the show long term if it had started with that cast and especially not with those characters. In fact I probably would have hated it.

Brad

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I don't think I have stopped watching a show because of a particular character that I hated. What I have done is stop watching a show because a character that I liked has left the show as when Anthony Edwards left ER. I stopped watching Law and Order when Steven Hill (as Adam Schiff) left. I will probably stop watching some shows that I like now because they have dropped certain characters that I have come to like.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's the thing, Vaughn is supposed to be likeable. There is romantic/sexual tension between Sidney and him that has been building all season. He is not a terribly complex character, an unequivocal good guy so far in Season 1. I just cannot stand the type.

No Alias spoilers please, I am not even done with S1 yet. Someone posted about S3 earlier, and I had to look away, although it's probably too late :frowning:.

--
H

Gregory Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator

I stopped watching Seinfeld just because of George. I just found him unpleasant to watch and ended up hoping something horrible would happen to him each episode, but unfortunately I always knew he would come out OK. He didn't bother me so much for the first few seasons and I was an early fan of the show, but eventually it was too much and I just couldn't take it any more.

I feel pretty much the same way about E.B. on Deadwood, but luckily he's a lesser character in the show so I don't have to spend all my time wishing Swearengen would cut his throat and put him out of his misery.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Neve Campbell from Party of Five. At some point her horrible acting talents superceded her hawtness. Does she really have to look over her right shoulder every time she utters a line?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maura Tierney on "NewsRadio"

Maura Tierney on "ER"

She also ruins every movie she's in.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm in big agreement with the previous mention of Horatio Caine ("The Grief Whisperer"-ha!), the single most obnoxious part of C.S.I. Miami. The big problem with Horatio is that he's supposed to be the nicest, most compassionate guy ever but David Caruso just does not convey those qualities and seems insincere and a little creepy. I wish that they'd get rid of him and put the more appealing Emily Procter in charge.

I think my all-time least favorite Horatio episode was the one that introduced the C.S.I. New York spin-off. Horatio made some promise to a victim to find the killer, then travelled to New York and insisted on butting into the investigation, even though they were perfectly capable of finding the criminal themselves.

I'd also add Sam on Diff'rent Strokes. It wasn't just that the kid was annoying (though he was), but it changed the whole dynamic of the show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Because every character she plays is a snotty, know-it-all bitch. She does it so often, in fact, I'm not convinced it's "acting."

Chuck_D

Agent
Horatio Caine (David Caruso). I stoped watching CSI:Miami because of him. He is just weird, especially when he is around small children. The way he bends down and almost whispers to kids just gives me cold chills. He is just too creepy. I would get a restrianing order if he tried to work a case involving my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks