What's new

"Eco-Friendly" Packaging Here To Stay (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

I can agree on this.. I just want my cover art insert protected. After all I pay sometimes 30.00 for a BD the least I ask is for the cover art to stay protected.

Ohhhh and I love that EcoFont we need more creations with holes too bad I am not great at photoshop I could come up with some money saving products that will save on weight issues and let the product itself suffer. haha

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If going "green" was so important then why didn't they just use "thinpaks", instead of this nonsense. "Thinpaks" would probably use no more plastic overall than these "ecopacks" do. These cases are going to be thrown out in the thousands by collectors intent on protecting their discs with proper cases. How do thousands of these junk cases in landfills help protect the environment?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

I don't think it's a fetish to want a clean package to open when I get home. I've found gum and even snot smeared on DVD's in stores! :eek: The shrinkwrap is there for a reason!

I fear I'm going to have to go through a lot of floaters just to buy a movie now.

There was all that fuss over eliminating cardboard CD longboxes in the 80's, and stores like Costco still use them! ;)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
However, thinpaks a) are more expensive (because you have to pay a person to put the discs in, it can't be done by machine), and b) damage the visibility of the product (because many stores like Best Buy keep most of their product spine-out). From the manufacturer's point of view, as long as the cover art doesn't get damaged enough to stop someone from buying the disc, the Ecopacks are more profitable.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
BluRay cases are pretty thin, not as thin as thinpacks but close.

If they wanted to be really friendly to the environment, how about they do away with the blue dye added to the BluRay cases? Or, does part of their clean-up effort include dying our oceans blue?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

I don't like thin packs at all.. they have no character to them... That is why I passed on the Matrix Box set... I like to be able to read my spines. Plus being that thin the theft in stores could rise.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I have absolutely no problem reading the spines on my hundreds of thinpacks. Maybe if you only have a few discs, and each one "sticks out" on display because you have so few...but when you have thousands, shelf space capacity increase with width reduction is quite worthwhile. Also reduce the height, if saving plastic = green. No harder to steal than a CD. Yeah, and stealing from within stores is their big "theft" problem...

Basically it's just nonsense that they can mostly hide until you open the disc.

Edit: I should say I haven't actually encountered one of these in real life yet. I may not find them too bad in practice, since I don't throw my discs around, and as long as they're in fine shape when I buy them. But I do wish they would make disc cases smaller (mainly shorter, but thinner helps too). I always found the necessity to differentiate optical disc type by case format annoying, especially the space-wasting height excess.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Collectors will end up having to buy another package to replace the cheap one, effectively doubling the amount of plastic and increasing the problem.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which is precisely why I said it would make more sense to reduce the amount of plastic used in the cases by making the case sides thinner than to cut big f$%^ing holes in them.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm dreading getting one of these things :-(

QOS and the other Bonds released last week are on their way from Amazon and now I'm extremely nervous about opening them.

I can't believe they finally designed a disc package that protects the disc properly (68 imports so far and not a single loose disc!) and looks after the artwork reasonably well (though the Elite's aren't especially great) and generally feeling nice and solid...

And now THIS. Gee, thanks a lot.

As a previous poster said, all it's gonna take is somebody (employee, child, whatever) to squeeze this a little too hard in the store and the artwork will be ruined. Utterly crap.

If they want to save money why don't they scrap those ridiculous and unnecessary Steelbook editions????

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Thanks. Those holes do concern me. It looks very flimsy. I'll final reserve judgment until I actually own one.

I thought the original BD cases were a step up, conservation-wise, over DVD anyway. I always thought it was ridiculously wasteful to have those huge DVD cases.

Doug

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I will just throw them away, and use DVD, or Blu-ray cases that i like. I am kind of OCD about how my stuff looks, and how safe the discs are.

I have a collector mentality, not a watch once, throw it on the floor, like my kids, and their cousins do with movies and games.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At least you admit it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Someone involved in the industry (I forget if it was this thread or the Silence of the Lambs one) said that this is actually costing them more money, at least in terms of the case proper. (They might be making some of it up on the shipping end of things, though.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The industry can scrap the use of Steelbooks after I'm done collecting the Bonds that I want. Until then, I want the Bond Steelbooks continued since that is the case format that I'm collecting the movies in.

Rusty_R

Auditioning

I got the bond movies from amazon yesterday Goldfinger, Moonraker, and Never Say Never have the sorry cases. Quantum of Solace and World is Not enough have good cases.

None of the discs had come loose luckily.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

GRRRRRRRRRRRR. How are the inlays? Are they damaged in any way? Creased around the gaps in the case for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks