What's new

Ebert says "Worst film in history of Cannes" -- THE BROWN BUNNY (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, BTW I applaud your class. After a thread with the word blowjob mentioned 50 times and various rimshot references you have the good decency to use the word 'fellate'
I know you mean this "tongue in cheek" (oh this is getting bad), but, just to make sure, when I used the term rimshot, it refers to a quick "budda bump" on a drum set, which is usually played after a bad joke or pun. As in "I just flew in from Chicago and boy are my arms tired...(rimshot!)"

I think someone is mistaking rimSHOT for rimJOB, which is whole different thing.;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
If so, I can't think of any actress of her level that has gone this far...
Maruschka Detmers, a well-respected actress, did a fellatio scene in the 1986 film Devil in the Flesh.

With that out of the way, I have to say that such a scene with Sevigny would be the only reason to see this film as far as I'm concerned - I did not care at all for Buffalo 66 and this one doesn't sound the least bit interesting.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The worst movie in Cannes history draws no pop but I call Ebert fat and the forum is up in arms!
Yes, because it's arguably inappropriate and puerile. If you can show that Ebert's body size has anything to do with the review (e.g. was he advocating a new type of diet, or suggesting that thin people are evil?) then it would bea reasonable comment. However, as it is, the comment assumes that being overweight is automatically a source of humour that others *must* appreciate because they *must* share the writer's mindset. Sorry, but we don't - a lot of HTFers have manged to grow up and aren't trapped in a playground mentality.

I also think that Ebert's political comments are by and large reasonable to include. I'm not saying whether I agree with them, but I think he has a right to make them. I think US film critics generally are a bland bunch when it comes to putting movies in a social/political context, whereas arguably European critics are generally *way* too much concerned with assessing the political worthiness of movies. Compared with many Brit critics, for example, Ebert is a little pussycat on the political front.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh No! This thread is getting serious again.

Quick....somebody chime in with a blowjob comment!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Here you go...

okay, just a simulation but what do you expect you dirty SOBs.

BTW, here's my experimental artistic post, I call it HTF poetry. You are all probably too dumb to get it but I'll put it up anyway.

abcdefghijklmnop
qrs
tuvwxyzabc
defghijklmnopqrs
tuvwxyzzyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
{repeat to infinity}

Now if I could only work in an angle where I A) get paid to display it and B) can get BJs from actresses for it. Clearly I don't have Gallo's brains.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what Ebert was smoking,
but David Manning says
"it's the feel good movie of the summer"

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
abcdefghijklmnop
qrs
tuvwxyzabc
defghijklmnopqrs
tuvwxyzzyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
{repeat to infinity}
You're a misunderstood genius, Seth. Film yourself reciting the poem for two hours, throw in a clip of you getting a hummer, and you'll get a distribution deal in a couple weeks :emoji_thumbsup:

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Film yourself reciting the poem for two hours, throw in a clip of you getting a hummer, and you'll get a distribution deal in a couple weeks
And even if you dont get a distribution deal...hey, you did get a hummer.

Another special features suggestion - Production stills
Another special feature - Roger Ebert commentary (87 minutes of silence followed by 3 minutes of heavy breathing)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Is this being discussed in the "Wow!" Moments in the Movies thread? :D

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
What will be better? Watching Chloe Sevigny give a blowjob or imagining Winona Ryder or Kirsten Dunst in the role?

Which leads to the obvious question. Did Gallo fire Ryder BEFORE or AFTER they filmed the blowjob scene? Maybe thats why she never stopped calling him. She was pissed about giving him a hummer for nothing!

BTW. Breaking news! Steve Bushemi is now considering remaking Trees Lounge with an alternate ending.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Gallo...enthusiastically recounted Thursday how he fired both Winona Ryder and Kirsten Dunst from the movie, replacing Ryder with the first woman he encountered in the small New Hampshire town where he was filming. "She [Ryder] ball-busted me over her wardrobe, her make up," he said. Then, when she failed to show up for a 9:00 shoot, he claimed, he went to her room and found her with a mask over her eyes and in what he suggested was a semi-drugged state. "And I told my two-man crew, 'I'm going to fire Winona Ryder!'" he said animatedly. (His remarks did not appear to generate much amusement among reporters, and actress Chloe Sevigny, who sat next to him at the press conference appeared to show increasing distaste for his remarks.)
There's an obvious joke to be made about Sevigny and her "increasing distaste" for Gallo, but I'll leave that to the reader... ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps all the fuss about this film (and Ebert’s review) is due to not much else happening.

I heard Kenneth Turan this morning on NPR and he said that Cannes this year was very lacking in energy. Everyone apparently got excited about Nicole Kidman smoking a cigarette, supposedly to irritate Lars Von Trier. Turan said that this is what was passing for big news this year at Cannes.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It apparently takes more than Nic sucking some nic to catch the interest of the yahoos, but I've been relishing the mental image of Von Trier's dusty camper van parked in the lot of the Hotel du Cap all week!

(Lars doesn't fly, and so roadtrips down to Cannes from Copenhagen.)

Ah yes... Dogville. I can't wait for this one. Only the expectation of a new Takashi Miike movie gets me salivating nearly as much.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Looks like the release of "Brown Bunny" is yielding some positive results after all...

From Salon's daily 'Fix' column..

Vincent Gallo has taken such a beating by critics and audience members who jeered "The Brown Bunny," a film he wrote, directed, produced and starred in, that he's sworn off filmmaking permanently. (Apparently the film's oral sex scene between Gallo and Chloe Sevigny is a particular groaner.) "I'll never make another movie again. I mean it," Gallo dispiritedly declared after his film's disastrous Cannes debut. "Being booed at was not much fun. It's really not very nice that people are so nasty. I'm very disappointed... It was never my intention to make a pretentious film, a self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging film."
Here's some advice, Vincent: trim about 97% of your movie and you're left with a short film that definitely has a market.

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks