1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebert in cahoots with Blockbuster?!!...no, derision of BB, part II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Well-Known Member

From Ebert's Sun-Times Answer Man column:

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    your header is confusing obviously ebert was trying to show "one" of the founders of BB the benifits of widescreen.not thee founder. maybe the person was simply a friend of ebert's.

"Contemptuous or jeering laughter; ridicule.

A state of being derided: The proposal was held in derision by members of the board.

An object of ridicule; a laughingstock."

that is the definition of derision so are you trying to continue to ridicule BB. are you saying ebert's not in cahoots with blockbuster?

sorry it's not easy for me to figure things out sometimes.

3. Peter Kim

The tone of header was meant to be sarcastic. The addendum, "...no, derision of BB, part II" was meant to clear this up. After reading Ebert for the last 15-20 years, I've always known Ebert to be the champion of film and the antagonist of manipulators. In this case, P & S and all those who propagate this format.

The tone of Ebert's answer was one of derision. He has ridiculed BB in the past, and anyone else who supports P&S.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

Where on the Die Hard DVD is the comparison example?

5. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Well-Known Member

Scott Shanks

6. Adam_WM

7. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

8. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Well-Known Member

That's John Belushi,from Animal House.He just failed history[​IMG]

9. bill lopez

bill lopez Well-Known Member

It seems we lost the WONKA war. Yes we got the petition to get the widescreen, but when it came to buying the widescreen we didn't produce. I didn't see the widescreen Wonka hit the Top 10 sales chart. And now one movie studio is re-releaseing widescreen dvds in Pan&Scan.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

11. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Bill - the cards were stacked against us with WW. The full screen edition hit the market many weeks before the widescreen version, so the latter was not on the shelves at all while all the impulse buyers and new release buyers and those buying to satisfy their children's demands were out there plunking down their twenty bucks. Further, even discount chains that generally carry widescreen editions stocked up on what was available - the full screen edition. Timing does make a difference, and I think Warner Bros understands this, otherwise the up-coming WATERSHIP DOWN (while not really a kid film) would probably be pan and scan.

12. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Well-Known Member

Nice misleading header...

13. Peter Kim

Kyle, are you reading and understanding the header? Or at least reflect on it for more than a second? Obviously, by the way you wrote your last comment, you seem to understand the concept of sarcasm and derision. Apparently, nuance is lost here.

If you're saying I baited you into reading this thread, which I think you are, that's untrue. I can see your attempt at nuance - thanks for levelling the insinuation against me.

14. streeter

streeter Well-Known Member

Roger Ebert is obviously not happy at all with Blockbuster... but his co-host Richard Roeper is. There are "Richard Roeper recommends..." shelfliners at Blockbuster stores.

15. Frank_W

Frank_W Well-Known Member

16. Brian_J

Brian_J Well-Known Member

17. Peter Kim

Has there been a final outcome on the petition against BB's corporate policy of P&S only when dual formats released?

18. Adam_WM

My apologies for missing the Germans joke. Haven't seen Animal House all the way through. It's on the "to-do" list.

19. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Well-Known Member

On the subject, yet off at the same time, this is another great quote from Ebert on the same answer man

Q. I recently rented the film ''Bully'' by Larry Clark, and was played for a fool. On the box it was given an R rating, even though I knew it had been rated NC-17. Yet there was no disclaimer on the box stating that it had been altered from the original. I went home to watch it and sure enough before the movie began there was a title screen explaining that the version I had rented was not the version the director intended to be seen! I was unable to return the film for a refund--nor would anyone else who made the same mistake! How could they market this film without a written disclaimer stating it had been altered, and why can't they carry the original ''Director's Cut'' as well?

Kevin Young, Whitman, Mass.

A. You did not name the video store. If it was Blockbuster, the chain refuses to handle NC-17 movies, insisting that R-rated versions be supplied. Blockbuster thus dictates both format and content. Imagine the outcry if a book store stocked only the Reader's Digest Condensed Book versions of a novel, and quietly removed all the offensive parts.

I love his response to that.

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

I just want to acknowledge Ken's great follow up post.
    The Belushi line is great, but using that follow up line is classic after all the confusion especially.
    If only Adam had just said "Germans?" [​IMG]