What's new

Does home depot sell Plexi-glass? And cut it for you? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter

Edit: Brain fart! I mean PLEXIGLASS

If not them, anyone else? I have no idea where to look really. It is for home made poster frames if you are wondering...cause I can't afford the outrageous prices of most of them out there. I am in Canada too...I've already searched the HTF and seen all the cool cheap poster frames you Americans can get!

Thanks in advance

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
I know the larger hardware stores here will sell it in the window screen area. They're usually sold as storm panels for windows. Otherwise look in the phone book under Plastic or even at craft stores.

We have a chain of stores here in the San Francisco Bay area called Tap Plastics that carries full sheets (4x8) of acrylic and polycarbonate in various thicknesses and will cut to size for you.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
home depot sells it, don't know about cutting it.
it's pretty spendy at HD though

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, many places that sell glass will also sell and cut plexiglass.. My local glass store does at least.

Jay

Kami

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can come up with...though now I am tempted to take some time and build light boxes since the posters I want to frame are double sided.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I buy my poster frames from Michaels craft store. If you wait till you get a %25 or %40 percent off coupon they're very reasonable

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
I use different sizes and widths of plexy for the monitor bezel on the MAME cabinets I build.

It is very easy to work with and I don't believe they will cut it for you. Right buy the plexy section is a $2.49 cutting tool. Using it with a straight edge of any sort will net you great results. Basically, you cut it about 1/2 way thru, and then snap off the rest.

Do it once or twice, and you'll be a pro. For the thicker plexy, you can also use a jigsaw (but be carefull of scuffing it).

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Plexiglass is easy to cut. Check the rotary saw blades. I used a tile saw. It worked fine, but I had to cut fast! The plastic started melting if I went too slow!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
a jigsaw with a fine blade will cut it too if it's thick. the thin stuff you can cut with a plexiglass knife (3 dollars at H-D)

If you get Plexiglass I would not have it cut at Home Depot! Good God! i would not trust them to cut a fart never the less plexiglass. Anytime I have had problems with glass or wood I could always put money on HD screwing it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks