What's new

DLP/rainbow effect (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i have been using a Mit. DLP (65 inch) rear projector for several months and the rainbow effect really annoys me....enough so that in a year or so i will be looking for a new display device. (Subtitles, moving candle/torches, PS3 exit screen -i enjoy /fantasy/sci fi/horror, so the movies i enjoy provide the lighting conditions for rainbows). i have read a little of new methods of producing the DLP picture such as LCD, lasers, etc. i was hoping that those of you that buy into these new techonogy let us know of how these deal with the rainbow effect.

My living room is 22 feet long so i need the larger screen at a "reasonable" price that DLP technology allows...so any comments from those who have had a chance to look at the new devices would be appreciated.

Thanks for your comments.
bob

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
The room is a "living room" fairly well lit. Large window thru with a street light can penetrate at night...and the rest of the family does use the room...so it cannot be a dedicated video space, so "projector" idea doesn't really work well. Must be a large, self contained unit at a "resonable" price.
Thanks for the ideas.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Look for a large LCoS RPTV. It will likely be less expensive than the new DLP technologies without color wheels.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Good luck finding an LCoS. They quit making them (Sony & JVC). Good choice though. You might luck up and find one that wasn't sold yet.

Your DLP probably has the color wheel. I think that's what causes the rainbow effect, for those that see it. The new Samsung DLP tvs are using LED light sources, so rainbows shouldn't be a problem with one of those.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I've got a new Samsung LED model and notice no rainbow effect as I did with many older DLP sets. I have a full review written a few posts down if you want to know my full opinion on the tv.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
LED DLP (Samsung) and Laser DLP (Mitsubishi due in late Q3 supposedly) are your two basic options. Both remove the color wheel and thus remove the rainbow effect. You get the added benefit of a light source that has a longer life span than traditional bulbs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Plus they're probably more durable/reliable w/out the color wheel as a moving part. Seems like lots of color wheels go south after a few years though they aren't quite too expensive to replace (maybe $100-150 for the part alone), if you're handy and can do it yourself. I'll probably be replacing one for my in-laws' 4-yo set myself when I get around to it in the next couple months.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks