What's new

Disney's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray) Preorder (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And it could be worse. They could have cut huge chunks out of it and stuck it in a supplemental section.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see it mentioned so I figured I'd mention it!

The set includes the full 73-minute "Reluctant Dragon" as a bonus. When I saw "Reluctant Dragon" listed as a bonus, I figured it meant they'd just provide the short and not the whole "behind the scenes" movie, but it's all there - and it looks surprisingly good. Much more attractive than the "Treasures" DVD...

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Colin Jacobson said:

The set includes the full 73-minute "Reluctant Dragon" as a bonus. When I saw "Reluctant Dragon" listed as a bonus, I figured it meant they'd just provide the short and not the whole "behind the scenes" movie, but it's all there - and it looks surprisingly good. Much more attractive than the "Treasures" DVD...
In HD??

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Konstantinos said:
Here is a comparison I just did to see how much information we lose:

Wlpy0la.jpg

I can confirm that the cropping detailed above does exist - at least for that specific frame! :)

I compared the Blu-ray to the old DVD and found that slight cropping to exist. I'm not gonna compare every frame in the whole movie, so that's that! :lol:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Colin Jacobson said:

Yeah, that caught me by surprise too--
And officially pushed me into putting it on my buy list. The short I could do without, but the Robert Benchley feature (and tongue-in-cheek depiction of Walt's prewar studio) is worth shelf space. Any other good obscure features they wanna throw on the pile?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Colin Jacobson said:
I don't know the source/nature of the transfer, though I'd believe it's new since it looks so much better than the one on the DVD...
Cool beans! I'll take Disney movies any way I can get them. But you didn't answer the question. Regardless of the source, is The Reluctant Dragon in 1080i/p on the disc or 480i?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Mark-P said:
Cool beans! I'll take Disney movies any way I can get them. But you didn't answer the question. Regardless of the source, is The Reluctant Dragon in 1080i/p on the disc or 480i?
Yeah. What he said. ^ ^ ^ :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
I didn't answer because I'm not sure how to check! My player's display doesn't specify, so if it doesn't tell me that status on the disc's packaging, I don't know how to confirm it...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Colin Jacobson said:
I didn't answer because I'm not sure how to check! My player's display doesn't specify, so if it doesn't tell me that status on the disc's packaging, I don't know how to confirm it...
I'll know this afternoon. I'm beginning my work on the package today. My Panasonic player does have a readout for codecs and bitrates and resolution.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
I'll know this afternoon. I'm beginning my work on the package today. My Panasonic player does have a readout for codecs and bitrates and resolution.
How does it do that? I have a Panny so maybe I can access it to but just don't know how.

I have a Sony as a second player - it shows bitrates but as far as I can tell, it reads "1080p" for everything because that's how the player is set up, not how the discs are set. I plopped a cheap DVD into the player and it read 1080p, so obviously that display doesn't reflect the material on the disc...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Colin Jacobson said:
How does it do that? I have a Panny so maybe I can access it to but just don't know how.
The last two years of Pannys don't have this feature, but if it's three years old, check the manual. I can't tell you what button because I programmed the original remote keys into my universal remote with a different label for that particular function.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I just went downstairs and fired up the equipment to check. It is 1080p, and from the look of the ten seconds of credits that played while I checked the stats, it looked beautifully sharp and clean.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
a lot of disparaging things have bee said lately about Disney, and the current brass and their attitude in releasing Walt's legacy of Classic animation, edits, cropping, over boosted colors, absolutely devoid of grain, and all of this takes away from what could and should be damn near perfect releases. Thought I would bring these facts up in this thread because, some of these "lesser" films do have their fans that do love them just as much as the big "Princess" films. The fact that this release has not two titles but three is a bonus that I was not expecting. But the cropping makes me upset, I have heard it stated that all Disney releases are crap, I disagree, the titles them selves are worthy of having a release, its just a shame that they are not being done proper, how I wish that those in charge of these current " Restorations were more in-tune with trying to make each and every release look like what Walt and his Nine Old Men were trying to accomplish. it cold be done, oh in a perfect world, Steve Stanchfield from Thunderbean would be in charge of these restorations, with corporate hands off, and released as it was originally intended and they would be glorious.

With a few exceptions, such as the complete restored Bedknobs and Broomsticks which should not have been released as it currently is, if the shorter cut was to be released, then release both cuts of the film in one comprehensive package.

Others have complained about the lack of 3D from some of the current films Frozen and the Sleeping Beauty rip off, yea they are going to milk that cow dry as long as they can. Maybe Christmas time in the US, who knows?

On a sadder note, just got back from Disney World, and had one goal the whole time I was there, that was crushed that very first day, The park no longer contains Mr. Toads Wild Ride, which was a favorite of mine, and good enough to get a reference in a Kevin Smith film Mallrats, it has been replaced as a autograph station for the Two "Princesses" from Frozen.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
The last two years of Pannys don't have this feature, but if it's three years old, check the manual. I can't tell you what button because I programmed the original remote keys into my universal remote with a different label for that particular function.
Manual??? Who keeps the manual??? :lol:

Glad you were able to confirm it was 1080p. I suspected it was, but all I knew for sure was that it looked good - miles better than the one on the old DVD.

Despite the concerns about cropping, I think this BD's a pretty nice set - three Disney films presented well for $36 MSRP seems like a good deal to me...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Reluctant Dragon while I ate my lunch this afternoon. It is in pristine condition and even though it is the ONLY extra on this set, it's certainly a valuable one for Disney fans.

I won't have the full review for the set until tomorrow, but that was a wonderful way to start my work on this release!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dana martin said:
On a sadder note, just got back from Disney World, and had one goal the whole time I was there, that was crushed that very first day, The park no longer contains Mr. Toads Wild Ride, which was a favorite of mine, and good enough to get a reference in a Kevin Smith film Mallrats, it has been replaced as a autograph station for the Two "Princesses" from Frozen.
No, the princesses replaced Snow White's Scary Adventures--Mr. Toad was replaced by the Winnie the Pooh ride (and that was a good ten or twelve years ago... :blink: ), although they're both still there at Disneyland on the west coast.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ejanss said:
No, the princesses replaced Snow White's Scary Adventures--Mr. Toad was replaced by the Winnie the Pooh ride (and that was a good ten or twelve years ago... :blink: ), although they're both still there at Disneyland on the west coast.
And thank goodness for that. I lived in L.A. for some years but had never, for some reason, gone on the Mr. Toad ride. I finally did so in 2012, and it was totally enchanting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks