What's new

Disney´s Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix = DTS? In R4, it is... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...

Do they have native English soundtracks with optional Portugese or Spanish subtitles? (in other words, if I had a region free player, could I watch them in English just like the R1 version only with DTS?)

-dave :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Because of the all-out uncompromised nature of the 5.1 DD enhanced mix (no dialog norm to my knowledge, and no downmix considerations), this should make for the best consumer-level DD/DTS comparison yet. Any differences we hear are only a result of the codec and bit-rate it uses...*not* mix or mastering differences.
The WB titles fits all of those criteria,and it's on R1 and widely available,it even sports full bitrate DTS as oppose to the more common these days half bitrate DTS tracks.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Do they have native English soundtracks with optional Portugese or Spanish subtitles? (in other words, if I had a region free player, could I watch them in English just like the R1 version only with DTS?)
I don´t know about the Mexican ones (although I would LOVE to get mexican DVDs of El Chapulin Colorado and El Chavo Del 8, plus El Santo and some classics of the Mexican fantastic cinema from the 50´s/60´s), but in the case of the brazilians ones, yes, they do come with the english soundtrack in DTS.

Some of the newest ones even allow you to choose between menus in english and in portuguese.

BTW, what do you mean by "*IF I HAD* a region free DVD"? In Brazil, ALL players are usually R1/R4 compatible (like the Sony ones), and some brands, like Pioneer, are completely region-free. I always thought that, in the USA, region-free players were easier to find that llhama turd on Michael Jackon´s house...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The WB titles fits all of those criteria,and it's on R1 and widely available,it even sports full bitrate DTS as oppose to the more common these days half bitrate DTS tracks.
You mean the 3 WB titles with DTS? :D

All kidding aside, that's nice to know...though WB dropped the ball for the *two* titles that would have been AWESOME with DTS...Amadeus and Color Purple.

GRRRR WB GRRRRR!

dave :)

AlexBC

Second Unit
David,

check out this thread to know more about Brazilian cheap and rare anamorphic and/or DTS titles

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=156944

Just to complete what Serio Martorel said about the DVD players being region free, most US DVD players (as a matter of fact, most players from all over the world) can be hacked to become region free. Some of them pretty easily, and some of them not so much. Pioneer players are among the the easiest ones, sometimes it doesnt' take more than a code typing on the remote control.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I mean 5 titles,which more then enough to compare the codecs,don't you think?
Thanks for the correction Lewis. I was just trying to joke about the derth of DTS titles from WB :)

In any case...point taken about the DTS/DD mastering issue regarding those titles (the only one of which I have is Interview with a Vampire). BTW, in addition to the general "master" used for the DD/DTS, there are a host of other processes that can be employed like Dialog normalization etc. which can affect the impression of the final sound...especially when one tries to A/B the two versions. Do you have any information regarding how WB may have applied/not applied any such processing or flagging to the DD vs DTS on those titles?

I hadn't ever compared the DTS and DD on my Interview DVD but it it turns out that WB didn't do dialog norm or any other such thing with the DD I'll certainly give it the old A/B. I know that there are some Buena Vista DVD titles that both use the same "master" for DD and DTS versions...but the application of dialog nor. makes the A/B difficult to judge.

Thanks!

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all! I just bought the Spanish Edition of Lion King. Is the same as the Portuguese but spanish and with DTS!!! Best of all, is R1 too! I bought it at Toys r Us with an offer to pick any Disney DVD for $5.(Roger Rabbit). The DVD give you the option at the beginning for the language of the menus: English or Spanish. I think this is the same as the Platinum except for the spanish case insert.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave!

So the DTS language track is in Espanol? Is there an english option for the DTS enhanced mix?

thanks!

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
In the brazilian case, the portuguese language is 5.1, and all the other mixes are in english. The spanish one is the same thing: spanish language in 5.1, and english in DTS/5.1.

BTW, my friend from Spain, I´m DYING to get my grubby hands on the 3-disk set of MORTADELO Y FILEMÓN!!!!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And I don´t think it was for lack of disk space.
There are already three 5.1 tracks. Even if you remove all extras from a disc, that only allows you to raise average bitrate for the picture. Every soundtrack reduces headroom (peak bitrate), and there is no way to get it back.

I would not recommend adding a DTS track to an animated disc that already has three 5.1 tracks.

Besides, the DD5.1 'enhanced' track will sound just like the DTS track, unless somebody screws up. :)

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
There are already three 5.1 tracks. Even if you remove all extras from a disc, that only allows you to raise average bitrate for the picture.
Well, the average video bitrate for the brazilian Lion King is 7. I´m not a techie, so you tell me: is that high?

I also have the info on the audio tracks.
English: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448Kbps) & DTS 5.1 (768Kbps).
Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448Kbps)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks