1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DIRECTED BY BILLY WILDER: Five Graves to Cairo & A Foreign Affair (TCM Exclusive DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JoHud, Aug 21, 2012.

1. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=378231
    Available for pre-order at $24.99 and shipping on October 15, 2012.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Well-Known Member

About time but I'm perfectly happy with my Australian DVD of FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO and my British DVD of A FOREIGN AFFAIR but I'm happy for those without region free players to finally enjoy the wonderful FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Looking forward to both.

4. jdee28

jdee28 Well-Known Member

A long time coming!
    Too bad they didn't include Arise, My Love (1940) and Hold Back the Dawn (1941), two early films Wilder wrote, directed by Mitchell Leisen.
    Since what's done is done, how about releasing those two films in a Mitchell Leisen set??

5. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Since they have a release for October, I hope next year they will try for more horror/mystery.

6. Justin Ray

Justin Ray Well-Known Member

Justin Ray
    Over the next few years, I hope TCM/Universal will consider releasing the following sets or individual titles:
    Irene Dunne Collection: Back Street, High, Wide, and Handsome, Invitation to Happiness, When Tomorrow Comes, Unfinished Business, and It Grows on Trees
    Olivia de Havilland Collection: Hold Back the Dawn, To Each His Own, and The Well-Groomed Bride
    Cary Grant: The Early Years Part II: Sinners in the Sun, Madame Butterfly, The Woman Accused, Gambling Ship, Ladies Should Listen, and Enter Madame
    Ginger Rogers Collection: Don't Bet on Love, Sitting Pretty, and Lady in the Dark
    Deanna Durbin Collection III: One Hundred Men and a Girl, Spring Parade, Nice GIrl, Hers to Hold, His Butler's Sister, Christmas Holiday, I'll Be Yours, and Up in Central Park
    Joan Fontaine Collection: Frenchman's Creek, The Affairs of Susan, Ivy, and Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
    June Allyson Collection: The Shrike, Interlude, My Man Godfrey, and A Stranger in My Arms
    Rosalind Russell Collection; Hired Wife, Rosie, and Take a Letter, Darling
    Marlene Dietrich Collection II: Angel and Desire
    Sandra Dee Collection: The Restless Years, The Wild and Innocent, Romanoff and Juliet, I'd Rather Be Rich, and A Man Could Get Killed
    Love Letters
    Midnight Lace
    The Uninvited

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    All of these are fantastic suggestions.

8. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Well-Known Member

Those are some good suggestions, Justin. I'd be up for buying at least half of them. You know they have a place on the website where you can e-mail suggestions. Don't know if it does any good, but I sent them a line a while back suggesting a box set of some of the Alan Ladd Paramount titles of the 40's (which Universal now owns the rights to).

9. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Add to that a long-awaited Gary Cooper set.

10. MLamarre

MLamarre Well-Known Member

Matthew Lamarre
    Great list; I'd add:
    Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Adventure Collection: The Sun Never Sets (1939), Green Hell (1940), Safari (1940), The Exile (1947), The Fighting O'Flynn (1949).
    Tony Curtis Collection: Flesh and Fury (1952), The Square Jungle (1955), Mister Cory (1957), The Great Impostor (1961), The Outsider (1961)
    Cecil B. DeMille Technicolor Epics: North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944) - (Ideally these would be released on Blu together with Reap the Wild Wind and Unconquered)
    Directed by Fritz Lang: You and Me (1938), Ministry of Fear (1944)

11. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    How about "The Alan Ladd Collection"? - This Gun For Hire, The Blue Dahlia, O.S.S., Shane, The Great Gatsby, and The Carpetbaggers

12. Justin Ray

Justin Ray Well-Known Member

Justin Ray
    The Carpetbaggers belongs to Paramount. Also, you might see some of these Ladd titles by the year's end. Supposedly, TCM will release a Universal noir set as one of its last 2012 Vault releases.

13. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Paramount owns Shane too, and the Great Gatsby has long been said to have legal issues, but maybe Universal will do something about them for a tie in to the upcoming remake. This Gun for Hire was already released, but how about The Glass Key, Lucky Jordon, and Salty O'Roarke. At this point, both Paramount and Olive released as many Ladd films as Universal has despite Universal owning all the films he made when he was at his most popular.

14. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    There is an upcoming December "noir" set (specifics currently unknown), so hopefully one or two of those unreleased Ladd films makes it in there.

15. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Well-Known Member

If it were up to me to handle Alan Ladd's catalog for Universal I would try to do it like this:
    Alan Ladd Vol. 1: Action - China, O.S.S., Calcutta, Saigon, Two Years Before The Mast
    Alan Ladd Vol. 2: Drama - And Now Tomorrow, Wild Harvest , Beyond Glory, The Great Gatsby, Salty O'Rourke
    I'd put The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia on Noir collections, and try to find space for Lucky Jordan somewhere.

16. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Well-Known Member

Eddie Muller reports at another forum:

17. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Well-Known Member

Jonathan
    Good news. Eddie is the man, where noir is concerned.

18. Mark VH

Mark VH Well-Known Member

Got a shipping notice on these Wilder titles from TCM yesterday, so it look's like they're shipping out a few days early. With any luck this should be in my hands by the weekend. Can't wait to finally have these terrific, LONG-overdue movies on disc.

19. JosephGC

JosephGC Member

Got the Billy Wilder titles today. They are both PRESSED DVDs!