What's new

Did we spend more for the Anthem MRX500 than we need or can appreciate? Asking for guidance and comm (1 Viewer)

zimmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald Ziemski
I know about NAD and have been interested - maybe we should try one.
A salesman at Fryes (whom I know much more than they) told be, when comparing the Yamaha RS-A820 to the Onkyo TX-NR818 and other Onkyo, that the Onkyo gets too hot and the AV chips don't mean much - the amplifier is the most important and Yamaha always beats Onkyo - in audio and video.
I originally was going to buy a Marantz when the dealer steered me toward the Anthem. I have always had Yamaha and been happy but things are changing in this industry quickly!
I don't need Airplay (have a Mac, Ipad2 and iPhones) but we listen to Sirius alot (either internet or satellite) and beginning to like Pandora. I have to think about what Number1 said about the NAD and our needs. I would like network, only to access Sirius and Pandora internet radio.
I think this kind of sucks and gets me brain dead. The internet is nice but I make more of this than it needs to be - you have to addition these in your home, so there are returns until you find the right one. I have been attempting to get it down to 2-3 brands and decide. If I didn't want networking the NAD would be one of those...
What would be one of the best networking av receivers - brand and model? Maybe I need to go to my first choice a year ago and check that Marantz 6006 or 6007?
I need to make the right choice and have to decide what we really need - as opposed really want! Thinking about this tonight and hoping to make a few decisions tomorrow!
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
B&M like to trumpet Yamaha and Elite over Onkyo and Pioneer...
Avg profit margins...
Yamaha...34%
Elite.....33%
Onkyo...4%
Pioneer....2%
One of my jobs 6 years ago(well job I had to do...amongst the others I did) was purchase Elite receivers online so we could bust the people doing it...
IE, Elite can't be bought online. Yamaha also has strict online sales. And both will pull merchandise from sellers stores...

zimmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald Ziemski
I would like to see a clarification of what you mean re profit margins, etc.- am I missing something?
Sure wish the and had an ethernet plug - that would be the one. However, it might be nice and clean like the anthem that I don't like.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, profit margin.
I should have included Integra as well...
Integra avgs 40%, the highest of any "big" brand. You can't buy Integra online either. However, When taking individual brands...as sales...
Onkyo 1
Pioneer 2
Denon 3 (distant 3rd)
Integra 4(not far from Denon)
Yamaha 5(Yamaha the last few years has been getting hammered by the competition)
Marantz 6
Elite 7
Sony 8
HK 9
Those are ORIGINAL retail sales. A4L, Dakmart, HK Store etc sales don't count...as those places tend to sell a unit for the 2nd time(ie refurb). And yes...in total units 2 years in a row...Integra sold more than Yamaha(Mainly thanks to the pre-pros). Speaking of the pre-pros. Integra, even without Onkyo, has cornered 60% of the market since 2008.
By the way, used to work for the company that does Amazons fulfillment for Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo. Didn't matter WHICH company you bought it from on Amazon...it was fulfilled by us. However, returns went back to Amazon.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Giving away insider secrets there Sam ;) . It's amazing what kind of stuff goes on out there than the average guy walking into BestBuy or clicking on Amazon doesn't know about.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't exactly a "secret" how the pricing works. When was the last time anybody saw current Yamaha product at more than $50 less than "original MSRP"?
When was the last time anybody saw Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer or Marantz, within a day of hitting the market already down to 48%-65% of MSRP?

zimmer

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald Ziemski
Purchased the Yamaha RD-A2010 at model close out price of $949!
Just had the weekend but has an incredibly clear picture and the sound is incredible. More to come as I experiment and get used to this receiver. Everything MUCH better than the expensive Anthem, I had!!
I want to thank everyone for their comments and insights especially Gene C and others who explained what is possible/or not with in ceiling!
Thanks,
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks