What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Deanna Durbin TCM Box Set (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe the rights for the film Spring Parade reverted back to the family of Ernst Marischka, who wrote the original story from which it is based. Unless I'm mistaken, Universal can't release the movie without going to the family - at least until the film falls into the public domain, which I don't think will happen for another decade or so.

I had the opportunity to attend a special screening of the film just over 10 years ago and was struck by two key bits early on. One is Deanna Durbin having to sing a complete number while holding onto a goat who didn't appeared particularly interested in the song. The second is a classic bit where she's changing out of what looks like perhaps 10 skirts. Every time you think she's done with this idea - nope, there's another skirt...

I'm happy to have both the Sweetheart DVD set and the laserdisc set. I'll look into the new release as well.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Correction - on checking the situation out, I find that Marischka's daughter wrote Universal some time ago, stating that she would like to see them release the movie on home video. But Universal chooses not to do so. I'm not sure if there is concern about someone else in the family popping up to claim an interest, but either way, the film remains unreleased on DVD.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

It has been postponed again. Now the release date is 07/08/2010.

What has been the hold up? I placed my order in March and I'm so anxious to recieve this set!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Does anyone know why "!00 Men and a Girl" has had no release here. I believe it was out on DVD in the UK but is no longer available there either.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by ajabrams

Does anyone know why "!00 Men and a Girl" has had no release here. I believe it was out on DVD in the UK but is no longer available there either.

I don't have any inside information on this, but my guess is something came up with the Stokowski estate. I do know it came out on the Durbin laser collection, and I know it was to be part of the initial Durbin DVD set, but it was replaced. Around this time, there was a problem with the Stokowski estate concerning FANTASIA, so I am guessing a recent rights problem that money changing hands will solve. Universal seems pretty good at working out these kinds of problems if they think it is commercially viable. I am thinking back to things like STRANGE CONFESSION (the Inner Sanctum flick), the three recent Bob Hope films, IT AIN't HAY (Abbott and Costello), etc. I wish they would work out the problems with those three old Paramount FU MANCHU films, although the last one, DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON did show up on TCM. TCM had scheduled LADY IN THE DARK a few months back, but it wasn't shown, so I think a rights issue came up.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Thanks for your reply John. That would seem to make the most sense. I hope the release difficulties do get resolved because it's a truly delightful film and was very important for both Durbin's career and Universal's solvency.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Pressed discs? Thanks for the confirmation as now I'm willing to pull the trigger.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I haven't had time to look at a film all the way through, but I did spot check all the titles, and my, they look and sound GREAT. Looks like they all were remastered and miles ahead of the laser and British VHS tapes. I don't know, but they all certainly look like they came from the nitrate camera negatives. Now I want the rest of them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Watched MAD ABOUT MUSIC Friday night and found it to be a very good transfer. Also watched most of FOR LOVE OF MARY and also found that to be a great transfer. I have not seen a lot of the Miss Durbin's films and enjoying not only her films, but getting acquainted with such a wonderful talent. I wish over the years she had done a some interviews and we could enjoy some of the background of her films. but I guess she got a real bad taste over her final dealings with Universal. Any good to have these great discs along with her earlier collection and hoping for more releases in the future.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm sorry to revive this thread after so long, but I'm wondering if I got a defective copy of FOR THE LOVE OF MARY in my set. The four other films look positively smashing but something is amiss with MARY. The black and white image shifts constantly from pure gray to a light green tint and then to a light magenta tint and back again. There's no rhyme nor reason to the shifts.

At first I was afraid there was something wrong with my (less than a year old) TV as no review mentions it being an issue but as I looked at it again last night it definitely seems to be on the disc itself as the shifts are always in the exact same place every time I watch it (I can also frame advance into and out of them and they don't vary their positions so I don't think it's electronic.) No other black & white disc that I've tried has exhibited the same issue (thank God!)

I can't find mention of it anywhere so I just want to ask is this some sort of authoring error or is it specific to this copy of this disc. Anybody else ever come across such a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks