What's new

Deadwood Season 1? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I bought this today, blindly. From the chatter, it sounds like some great stuff.

BB had it for $79.99 and they priced matched CCs price of $64.99 and I had $10 in rewardzone dollars so I cannot complain for only $54.99.

I plan to spin-off a couple hours tonight, can't wait.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Spin 3-4 eps if you can, Ron. Though, I predict you'll be hooked after 2. The first 4 represent a full arc. I got my copy today!

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
yeah, the first 4 episodes will get you hooked.

The packaging is fantastic. I am really impressed with it. The only thing that bugs me is the cover. All of HBO's sets use the poster artwork, yet they butchered it for deadwood by adding the floating heads to the artwork. And my biggest gripe with the show would be

The Death of Wild Bill. I really wanted him to last almost the entire season. His death would have been much more important later in the season. Plus, I loved his character and wanted alot more done with him.

Also, possible season 2 spoilers

Wyatt Earp might make his appearance this season and I cannot wait to see what they do with him.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i noticed when i watched the episode on my promo disc that i was able to catch a lot of dialogue that i might have missed the first time around. and even with stuff i missed now, i could back it up and watch again til i did get it.

probably as richly written a show as The Wire. even the swearing, which i found a bit off-putting when i first saw the series, and i'm no prude, but just don't see the need to use foul language in a program just because you can, i see in a new light; it's almost poetic how al swearingen or ellsworth use the language.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not that this should be news to anyone but just in case. All new veiwers should watch all the episodes before listening to David Milch's (strangely funny) commentary on the first episode. He talks about alot of plot points from episodes later in the set.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Robert, the swearing also threw me off the first time I saw the show last year. But by the middle of the season I was loving the writing and the swearing did not bother me.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I spun the first episode last night. It's good, I really enjoyed it. From all the comments on the swearing, it didn't bother me too much. A few times it was actually quite funny.

The picture quality is excellent. The sound is good but not great. Seems to be quite low and very front channel heavy. Had to up the volume a bit over my usual for this. The gun shots seemed quite tame as well.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
where can I find that promo disc? I'm trying to get a co-worker into the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy that the gunshots are tame. It seems like if I have to turn up the volume to hear the dialogue, anything louder than that is painfully loud. I'm really sick of my ears bleeding when I put in a DVD:)

Kyle, you could get the promo disc in other recent HBO TV sets and apparently they had it in New York Times magazine (see post 8 up above).

RobertW

Supporting Actor

that's what i mean by it almost being poetry the way they use swear words.

probably my favorite bit is when ellsworth is sitting with trixie near the end and he says something like:

"and f*** us all anyway for the bunch of limber-dicked ****suckers that we are."

that's some good writing right there, the way it just trips off the tongue. poetry.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The funniest bit of swearing was by Mr Wu. You all know the scene I'm talking about. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched Ep. 2 & 3 last night. This is some good stuff. I hope it's not all drama though and they have some good gun fights coming. I love Old West gun fights.

Open Range and Tombstone have some of the best todate.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
sorry, there are not many gunfights in the season and I think there are none after the 4th episode. There is plenty of violence though.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Gunfights usually involve some sort of "bravery" or "Honor". The guys in this show are more prone to sneaking, and shooting people in the back. Not much Honor here. So, not many "traditional" western gunfights.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the 12th episode last night, and decided to watch it again with the commentary. I hadn't listened to more than a few minutes of Brad Dourif and Robin Weigert from episode 5 (I think), which sounded real interesting, but I was trying to finish the series before season 2 started. Anyway, the commentary on the final episode, with Tim Olyphant and Ian McShane, was brilliant. It may not have given a lot of insight into the show, but they were both hilarious. It was obvious that they really dug the show and each other's company. Their imitations and anecdotes were the icing on the cake. If you haven't already given their track a spin, I suggest you do so.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I found all of the commentaries are worth listening to. McShane's EB impersonation shows up again in Season 2 :) Season 2 is even better than the first, can't wait for the DVDs and we're not quite half way through the season!

Dave>h

Second Unit
Deadwood is great.

I watched all 12 episodes and the documentaries and listened to the McShane/Oliphant commentary in the space of a week. Pretty unusual for me to get through them that quickly.

I love the way they use hostorical characters interspersed with the fiction.

The documentary on the actual Deadwood was very interesting, I didn't realize it was an actual place. Must have been a hell of a place back in the day.

Very strong cast too. Really like the whores for some reason - Trixy and the other one (pardon my Swearenger-ism but I can't remember her name), the one starting up her own brothel. Their characters bring a real sense of realism to the show. They don't hold back on how brutal their lives were.

Very happy with the purchase - love a good duster!

Dave

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I just wanna say how awesome this series is. I was a bit hesitant in the first few episodes as the hyperrealism took some getting used to. But now I am close to the end and am fully addicted. While this show is far richer than any one element, it's difficult to imagine it without Al, the most fascinating character I have seen in a long time.

My only complaint at this point is the lead, who I find extremely bland and lacking the charisma of the more colurful characters. But then again he is sort of our avatar, someone we "normal" folk can relate to.

I don't suppose S2 is seeing the light of the day anytime soon?

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks