What's new

Considering Magellan Roadmate 700/760/800 GPS for car (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I've seen the 700 new for 499 refurbished for 399. The 760 new for 599 and the 800 new for 699 I'm not concerned about features unrelated to GPS so which is most reliable with the best GPS features and best for the money?

(Edited to Include)

I'm open to other GPS units in that price range with similar or better features and performance also.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
All-in-one auto gps is in the midst of a changeover. TomTom & Garmin are switching the receivers in the vast majority of their units to SiRFstarIII architecture. This means significantly quicker time-to-first fix & sensitivity/lock.

I'm not sure, but I don't believe the Magellan units you're considering employ SiRF architecture. Subsequently, I've heard horrible TTFF by comparison.

I've long considered the Garmin Nuvi 350 ($799 at Costco.com + $150 cash card). SiRF + portable + internal battery.

But the upcoming (June/July) releases from Garmin (c510/c550, nuvi 310/360) and TomTom (910/510) keep me holding out for the newest revisions or hoping for dramatic price cuts on the nuvi 350.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
What are your GPS requirements? Is this for road use only? Is voice activation a requirement? How many (and what type) of maps do you want?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've been using my GPS for the past 2 years and here are my critical features:

- LARGE display screen that works well in direct sunlight and darkness
- Very easy method for inputing addresses or other destinations (large buttons or voice operated)
- Easy to upload map updates
- Cheap map updates (I know, keep dreaming)
- traffic sensing GPS with detour feature (I know that some get XM traffic info and will re-route)

Hope this helps...

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I would like it to speak with directions if that's what you mean by voice activation. Which model do you have?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Reginald,
I have a multi-purpose unit that I also use for hiking and fishing (Garmin 60CS). The 60CS has an incredible screen and can be used outside of the car (which is a plus for me). Entering addresses is not the easiest thing (in terms of key strokes) but the interface is OK. After using this capable unit for a few years I've come up with my 'needs' list for the next GPS that I buy.

The ability to easily enter addresses is a huge plus. A large screen is also very nice. If the unit is a permanent install (like some audio head units) then you'll want a method of easily updating the map software. The most recent units have a subscription service where it will monitor traffic patterns and divert you around the traffic jam... this would be very helpful for my driving patterns.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
What's on your short list, Greg?

BTW...the upcoming Magellan 3000T/3050T/6000T, the TomTom GO 510/910, and Garmin C510/C550 will all have integrated traffic receivers. While the company literature shows that the TomTom & Magellan traffic reporting will be subscription based, it appears that Garmin may provide some reporting free of charge.

Also, these companies must've realized the merits of SiRFstar III. All of these upcoming units will use the III architecture.

Looks like Garmin has already released the SiRF-based 60Cx & 60CSx, both of which I'm considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks