What's new
World Wide Stereo

Connecting my Sony KP57WS510..... (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
OK Folks, you all have been wonderful in contributing to my decision of buying 57WS510. Will you extend your contribution in this too?

My Setup is like this....

I run the cable to a monster outlet. From monster to my cable box ANT IN.
Input 1:
A DVI runs from my HDCable Box to the back of my TV.
Input 2:
A Component Video cable runs from my HDCable Box to Video In 6 of my TV (Don't know why I am running two inputs here).
Input 3:
S_Video from HDCable Box to my A/V Receiver.
A Component Video cable runs from the A/V to my TV.

My problem is, When I watch HD relay on my TV from either of the three inputs, I do not see a filled 16:9 format in my TV. I have to use the ZOOM mode to completely fill for even HD shows like Jay Leno, DiscoverHD etc.
According to the TV Manual I should not be able to change the wide mode if I receive a true 16:9 signal.

How can I findout the signal that my TV is displaying. I mean is there a way I can get it to display whether it is showing 480i, or 480p or 1080i or 720p etc...?

Please Help!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like your cable box is set for a 4:3 display format.

You must tell DVD players, and HDTV Tuners, and cable boxes the display ratio, many of them still default to 4:3....

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Let me go and check my cable box. Is that a setting in back of the box or would it be in the menu part of the Cable Box?
Do I activate it to, 16:9 as default? If yes, would it show rest of the channels in the wide mode?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am not 100% sure, somewhat will depend on the box.

You will get an assortment of aspect ratio's, though...

So be prepared. I have just gotten used to letting cheater HD format come in and be veiw'd natively, tell you the truth.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes. If it is a Motorola 5100, you should set the output to 1080i (or 720p, if your TV accepts it). Also set the 4:3 override to 480p (or 480i) so the non-HD channels will display correctly. That way you can disconnect the s-video from the box and view everything through component/DVI. To get to the menu on the Motorola 5100, turn the box off, then hit the "Menu" button on the front of the box (not the remote button). There will be a menu listing the above options.

If it is not a Motorola 5100, list the brand and model # of the box and someone else should be able to steer you to a solution.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, Thanks a ton... man I did not know how much a 1080i could make a picture look better and prettier. WOW!!!

My cable box brand is Phase. To my next question now :)
I configured the aspect ratio to 16:9 and signal to 1080i.
Now when I view through DVI connection, looks like I always get 16:9 signal. I am not able to change the widemode for non HDTV channels.
However if I use S-Video I can change that for all the chanells including HDTV. Is this working as it supposed to?

Is there a way I could find what the signal that my TV is receiving. For eg: while watching HDTV channel on S-Video can is there a way to check if it is showing 480p or 480i and so on....

If I use Component instead of DVI, would that give me the leverage to change the modes only for non HD channels and maintain the aspect ratio for HD channels?

uf! too many questions I guess....

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I understand the quality issue in S-Video, but how do I get my TV to display the signal in which it is showing the picture to me?

John S

Senior HTF Member
ON HDTV, it is probably best just to let it display what is comming in.

Do you mean from DVD, and othe rsources?

ChadG

Auditioning
I think he's asking how to tell what input the TV is being given from any source. For instance, the X-Box console will output a 480i, 480p or 1080i picture depending upon the game. I know the Mitsubishi's display what mode the TV is in, i'm not sure if/how the Sony's do though. Anybody know?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
yes Chad is right....
When I click a button(s) it should tell me that it is showing 16:9 on 1080i or for the regular channels or s-video it should say 16:9 or 4:3 whatever the case may be.

btw, where can I buy VE and AVIA DVD. Any recommendation on one over the other?

John S

Senior HTF Member
My set lists the source input underneath the Channel/AV Source lables in the upper left hand corner of my screen.

ChadG

Auditioning
5 Years ago I picked up the original VE at Best Buy, i'm not sure if they sell the new Digital VE. I'd think so though.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
When I watch DVD, (I have connected my DVD through Component to my AVR and from my AVR another Component runs to the back of my TV), Bugslife for instance, I am not sure whether I should be able to change the wide mode? Shouldn't it fill the screen If I am watching in the 16:9 widescreen option that the DVD has?

In my case I can change the viewing from Full, to Zoom to Wide Zoom. Why would it be like that?

John S

Senior HTF Member
No, Movie type widescreen is going to give you thin bars still above and below the picture.

Zoom modes are provided to get around this, but you should view everything in the original aspect ratio, thus black bars.

Only 178:1 will fill the screen. I'm assume'n your Bugs life DVD is 235:1???

HDTV will fill your screen as long as it is a real HDTV presentation. Often times they just frame 4:3 stuff in the middle of the widescreen with like grey bars on the side.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John. Yes The Bug's Life is 2.35:1.

Right now I have a 2 speaker stereo setup connected to my AVR. Can I connect my TV Speaker as my center channel? Both my TV Speakers together is a 40Watts.

Is it even worth trying? I don't know? What do you folks think?

John S

Senior HTF Member
If it does not have a direct connection to the speakers (most sets don't). You must give up using the center channel amp in your AVR, but can connect your Center Channel Pre-amp out to the analog input(s). Here is the deal though, you must "Y" it to the left and right, you must also also "Y" it to each coresponing AVR analog input, so when you change inputs on your TV, you still get them for center channel duty. Calibration will be tough too. And of course, most of agree that it is farily important to match all speakers in the DD 5.1 / DTS arena. So probably way not optimal. But it can and has been done. (I have considered try'n it myself, but I don't think I can go from the JBL S38 I use now for center channel duty to TV speakers and amplification.

It becomes much easier if all your sources come from your AVR, so you truly only use one input on your TV all the time.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Ok.... What I was thinking of was, my AVR has a regular Speakers output plus also a 7 channel RCA Pre Out.
I have connected my fronts (and I have only stereo right now) in the regular speaker connectors.
I have a Y cable, I thought I will plug that in the Center Channel RCA Pre Out on the Speaker to input to the TV connection where I run the DVD Video signal.

I understand the timber matching in this... This is just for me to try it out and get one extra channel sound when I watch my DVD movies.

I hope by running like this I don't blow up my TV's speakers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
As long as your using your Center Pre-out you will be fine there. Heck, once you get that far, your just going to have to find some extra speakers somewhere to hook on up your 5 channels for surround. I probably got a set lay'n round somewhere half ok, that I could give you.

I will be anxious to hear how this works for you.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
John, Thanks for the offer. I will let you know after I test out the Preout... Maybe I will try it out next week when I get back home. I am travelling right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks