What's new

CLEOPATRA Region Free BRD (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Since Raintree County was the first movie filmed in the MGM CAMERA 65 process with a 2.76:1 aspect rato, it would be cool if it was released that way on Blu-ray. I know it was released in 1957 on 35mm film only so we would be seeing more picture information on the sides than then.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Amazon Japan has a CLEOPATRA box set for preorder. Release date Feb3 2012. Hello US?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Very cool! It's interesting that they used a costume designed by Oliver Messel for the aborted London "Pinewood" version for the cover.
The accompanying book looks beautiful.
Fox US has been announcing Blu-rays about a month and a half before their released...so maybe we'll get confirmation here in North America in about two weeks!
Here's the Amazon Japan link:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%8C%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AA%E3%83%91%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9-%E8%A3%BD%E4%BD%9C50%E5%91%A8%E5%B9%B4%E8%A8%98%E5%BF%B5%E7%89%88%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BABOX%E3%80%94%E5%88%9D%E5%9B%9E%E7%94%9F%E7%94%A3%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E3%80%95-Blu-ray-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7%E3%82%BB%E3%83%95%E3%83%BBL%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A3%E3%83%83%E3%83%84/dp/B005743LPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322499357&sr=8-4

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Japanese deluxe set:
b6f24b90_61h6HX1GrrL._AA1000_.jpeg

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I hope the aspect ratio they have listed (2:35) is wrong. Only a 65mm Todd-AO transfer will do the film justice.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
ahollis said:
That is cool looking set.  But where is the model of Cleopatra's Barge and the pet asp :laugh:
:D :D :D
I hope the aspect ratio that they have listed is wrong, too. I'm a little surprised that the film won't be spread out over 2-discs like Ben-Hur. I mean, the documentary is 2hrs alone!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Andrew Budgell said:
:D :D :D
I hope the aspect ratio that they have listed is wrong, too. I'm a little surprised that the film won't be spread out over 2-discs like Ben-Hur. I mean, the documentary is 2hrs alone!
Yep, that doesn't look right, I fully expect it to be on three discs, two for the film & one for the extras. All will be clear when Fox gives out the specs. And Amazon gets the aspect ratio wrong a lot of times.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Over in the UK, Amazon & HMV have what looks like the correct cover art (the same as the Japenese box), & it does look like it is two discs with the extras split between them. Come on Fox, the cat is well out of the bag!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/315158/cleopatra-rumor/30#post_3875623
Over in the UK, Amazon & HMV have what looks like the correct cover art (the same as the Japenese box), & it does look like it is two discs with the extras split between them. Come on Fox, the cat is well out of the bag!
I assume there is still no pet asp included.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Andrew Budgell said:
Thanks! Well let's keep our finger's crossed for "Raintree County'!
I asked about Raintree County on Warner Archive and they said "Raintree still being considered for BD but no movement, so definitely not in 2012. We continue to campaign to our colleagues to take the BD approach on this epic. Given length, the 65mm source original, and the footage cut from the roadshow version existing only in faded 35mm print material. there is no way to approach Raintree without a LOT of $$$."

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
RolandL said:
I asked about Raintree County on Warner Archive and they said "Raintree still being considered for BD but no movement, so definitely not in 2012. We continue to campaign to our colleagues to take the BD approach on this epic. Given length, the 65mm source original, and the footage cut from the roadshow version existing only in faded 35mm print material. there is no way to approach Raintree without a LOT of $$$."
Thanks for the update, Roland. That's disappointing, as I thought 2012 might be the year we'd finally see Raintree released at last. But at least the film has fans at the studio, and they seem to understand that there are plenty who really want it. Maybe the $152 million dollar Elizabeth Taylor auction will convince the naysayers! :D BTW, not sure if anyone knows this, but WB released "Raintree" in Spain. Might tide some fans over in the meantime.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Andrew Budgell said:
Thanks for the update, Roland. That's disappointing, as I thought 2012 might be the year we'd finally see Raintree released at last. But at least the film has fans at the studio, and they seem to understand that there are plenty who really want it. Maybe the $152 million dollar Elizabeth Taylor auction will convince the naysayers! :D BTW, not sure if anyone knows this, but WB released "Raintree" in Spain. Might tide some fans over in the meantime.
link to spain blu-ray?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm surprised there hasn't been a North American announcement yet. Is anyone else thinking that at this rate we're going to have to import from the UK or Japan? :confused:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell /t/315158/cleopatra-rumor/30#post_3884001
I'm surprised there hasn't been a North American announcement yet. Is anyone else thinking that at this rate we're going to have to import from the UK or Japan?
She was born in February and died in March, I think we will see an announcement sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Good point. I guess I thought it would have been announced when the record breaking auction was making headlines, but perhaps they didn't want the release to be overshadowed? Who know! I wonder if they'll push back the UK and Japanese releases so they're all out around the same time?

stevenHa

Second Unit
Is there any word on whether Warner might be releasing a better version of National Velvet this year than what is currently available ?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
When I asked WB about Elizabeth's films on Blu, they said they had nothing for 2012. Whether that's nothing planned or nothing scheduled, I'm not sure... I'd love a Blu-ray edition of "National Velvet".

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell /t/315158/cleopatra-rumor/30#post_3884032
When I asked WB about Elizabeth's films on Blu, they said they had nothing for 2012. Whether that's nothing planned or nothing scheduled, I'm not sure... I'd love a Blu-ray edition of "National Velvet".
Most of Liz's film were from MGM which Warner releases. With Liz's death this year how can they have nothing scheduled for 2012? They have hinted to their own "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for years, 2012 would seem to be the year to release it.

TCM's year in remembrance has a special ending dedicated to Liz and I'm sure the Oscar's will make a tribute of some sort this year, It's not like people over 40 do not know who Elizabeth Talyor is. Even some people under 40 must have heard of her at some point or another

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks