1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Film Lovers: I've got some good news then some bad news!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The good news is that MGM is releasing several classic films on dvd on 12/11/01, however, the bad news is that except for one 1.37:1 film, most of them are 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfers. MGM keeps releasing these films at bargain prices but I rather they charge more money for anamorphic releases. Everyone of these films can be bought after retailer discount between $11.00-15.00. The following is the list:
    [*]Dodsworth (1.37:1)[*]The Defiant Ones (1.66:1)[*]Inherit the Wind (1.66:1)[*]Seperate Tables (1.66:1)[*]Witness for the Prosecution (1.66:1)[*]Topkapi (1.66:1)
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Well-Known Member

It is too bad that these titles will not be anamorphic releases. Regardless, I will immediately purchase Inherit The Wind and Witness For The Prosecution.
    Thanks, Crawdaddy! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that the 16x9 TV owners will be disappointed. On the other hand, I see no bad news in this and will be buying the lot. Sorry, guys. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
    Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    One Witness for the Prosecution pre-sold!
    Cees

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

Although disappointed about no anamorphic, I will be buying Witness for the Prosecution.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Well-Known Member

Inherit the Wind will be a must buy for me. Too bad it is not anamorphic but a little over 10 bucks this is a true bargain compared to some of the prices being asked for recent crap by studios

8. BarryR

BarryR Well-Known Member

BARRY RIVADUE
    These films are like manna from heaven. [​IMG]

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Well-Known Member

Come on! Didn't anyone notice that Dvd File slipped The Party in there too? Widescreen and anamorphic!
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

10. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Well-Known Member

The benefit of anamorphic on 1.66:1 titles is debateable anyway. Especially with many players out now that will scale like the RP-91 and the Malata.
    Kevin C.

11. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Well-Known Member

Why has no one yet to report that MGM is making a special edition of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? I love this movie and have waited for the DVD for a while now.
    Maybe it'll include the missing scenes that were part of the previews, but not in the actual movie...remember when Steve Martin and Michael Caine were walking along and pushed a woman off the platform and into water? hehe. This needs to be on the DVD, as this was the first time I can remember wondering "wait, what about that one scene from the previews?" Ah, nostalgia. [​IMG]

12. Steven Good

Steven Good Well-Known Member

"Maybe it'll include the missing scenes that were part of the previews, but not in the actual movie...remember when Steve Martin and Michael Caine were walking along and pushed a woman off the platform and into water? hehe. This needs to
    be on the DVD, as this was the first time I can remember wondering "wait, what about that one scene from the previews?" Ah, nostalgia."
    Actually, if I remember correctly, an interview I read with Frank Oz, noted that the above-mentioned scene was shot specifically for use as the trailer, and not intended to be in the film itself.

13. Randy_M

Randy_M Well-Known Member

Randy Margolis
    I also will gleefully purchase Witness for the Prosecution. I will then donate my commercial VHS copy to an area hospital that has closed circuit broadcasts to patient rooms. This is a really good thing to do with commercial tapes. They really appreciate it.
    Cheers.

14. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    What??? DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS???? Count me in! I never got the earlier version, which left an unfillable hole in my collection.... any word yet on WHEN we'll see it?
    "Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma!"
    ------------------
    My collection:
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

15. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Well-Known Member

How does the Panny RP-91's scaling feature handle 1.66:1? I have "Umbrella's of Cherbourg" but haven't tried it yet. I guess there would be some cropping at the top/bottom. Would the 4:3 setting allow the desired windowboxing.
    Great news about "DRS" too.
    "Your trident sir?"

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

On the rp91, with non-anamorphic 1.66, I prefer using the shrink function to see the whole picture. Just watched Some Like It Hot last night that way. Much better than zooming and having part of the top and bottom cut off.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
    [Edited last by george kaplan on August 30, 2001 at 06:15 AM]

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden